It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:17 pm 

pizza_Place: No Place
http://www.espn.com/espnradio/chicago/p ... id=3095454

Best Theo interview I've heard in quite some time. Not so much because of the way W/S handled it, but because there's large segments of Theo just talking....good shit.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:46 am 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Theo now is pretty much lawyer talk sidestepping issues being interviewed . Lack of payroll flexibility=nobody wants our bad money guys. We've worked hardest this off-season than ever= our hands are tied. A lot of our in-house guys will rebound= the minor league system is depleted. We're making adjustments=we're extremely frustrated. We've had a lot of turnover in the coaching staff= scapegoats. We believe Russell deserves a 2nd chance= He's cheap.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:44 pm 

vitoscotti wrote:
Theo now is pretty much lawyer talk sidestepping issues being interviewed . Lack of payroll flexibility=nobody wants our bad money guys. We've worked hardest this off-season than ever= our hands are tied. A lot of our in-house guys will rebound= the minor league system is depleted. We're making adjustments=we're extremely frustrated. We've had a lot of turnover in the coaching staff= scapegoats. We believe Russell deserves a 2nd chance= He's cheap.

I couldn't disagree more.

1.He never said "lack of payroll flexibility." He's said the baseball side of the company, like all businesses, has a budget and they are currently up against the budget. He's also said that he kept the other members of the front office away from the Cubs Convention discussion because he realizes he has to take responsibility for the very big contract moves that have pushed them to the limits of the aforementioned budget i.e. heyward, chatwood, darvish. He's being accountable by being the one who signed those free agents.

2. "alot of our in-house guys will rebound." That's not even close to what he said in that interview. Do you listen to music or do you just skim thru it? He's said (1) we believe in our guys and (2) our guys need to make adjustments because the league has clearly adjusted to them and (3) complacency set in at all levels of the organization after the world series. that's a direct quote from the interview. And his deliberate use of the phrase "all levels of the organization" includes himself, joe, and the players. not sure how exactly that's sidestepping lawyer speak, but i'm sure you'll attempt to enlighten me with some more imprecise drivel after I click submit.

3. "We're making adjustments=we're extremely frustrated." Not sure what you're trying to say with that statement. In fact, he didn't say he was "frustrated" with the broken offense or the way the team faded in the last month, he said he was "disturbed." Again, you clearly didn't listen but why would you. It's much easier and enjoyable to comment without listening after all.

4. "We've had a lot of turnover in the coaching staff= scapegoats." Again, you are projecting your own biases by summarizing his points in this fashion. Also, you're either dumb, ignorant or both if you expect the CEO of the Cubs to publicly throw current and past personnel under the bus by airing out their business in public. Instead, he's facing the music and attempting to be accountable. I'd be curious to know what exactly it is you want to hear him say--publicly--about the turnover of the coaching staff.

5. "We believe Russell deserves a 2nd chance= He's cheap." I believe Theo has handled the Russell situation about as deftly and nimble as is possible within the larger context of the world we live in--Me Too movement, etc--and trying to run a baseball business that balances the managing and exchanging of assets on the field and the personalities and real-life scenarios that inevitably pop up when the assets you're managing and exchanging are human beings. There's alot from this interview that i could post here, but the 3 main points that I think are most noteworthy are when he said (1) Theo recognizes and respects that some "reasonable minds" will disagree with how the Cubs have handled this but that (2) he personally feels a responsibility to be part of the solution because it happened on the Cubs watch and they eagerly celebrated Addison's early on field success and he feels it would be hypocritical and disingenuous to waive him at the point of his lowest, personal failing. (3) Russell's additional chance with the team is "conditional" and they are reserving the right to release and/or trade him at any point depending on how he follows both the treatment plan laid out by MLB's domestic violence policy as well as the one the Cubs in particular have laid out for him.

What say you?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Listen to Murphs 1/19 carving up of Teflon Theo. Similar opinions of mine. Greater detail. Some great moves. Many, many disastrous. What Theo's saying now is classic damage control. He's not taking responsibility for closing the Cubs competitive window. Rickets has turned bullshitter too.

http://www.espn.com/espnradio/chicago/p ... id/7148836

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:39 pm 

vitoscotti wrote:
Listen to Murphs 1/19 carving up of Teflon Theo. Similar opinions of mine. Greater detail. Some great moves. Many, many disastrous. What Theo's saying now is classic damage control. He's not taking responsibility for closing the Cubs competitive window. Rickets has turned bullshitter too.

http://www.espn.com/espnradio/chicago/p ... id/7148836

Carving?