It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 10:46 pm 
1000 CLUB

Today was the day. I got the shovel out and buried this show. As soon as North goes off the air, ESPN Radio 1000 goes off my radio.

Salisbury refuses to accept any criticism from any callers. And, he went so far as to call this particular caller a "hater." This pompous fucker isn't going to last long in Chicago. The 9-12 ESPN audience was used to a fun show which didn't take itself too seriously, now you've got the polar opposite.

Salisbury even told Rosenbloom, "You've never laced 'em up, so you don't know what it's like." Ah yes, the athlete card, I can't believe it took the superb athletic specimen this long to break it out.

Salisbury brings all the traits from ESPN National that we all hate. He brags about how many famous people he knows, he gives everyone comfy nicknames (Krukker), he never holds coaches/managers accountable for anything [yet won't ever directly criticize a player either], and refuses to entertain any dissentful commentary or criticism. I also noticed that he's gone back to his LOUDER IS BETTER AND SMARTER mechanism which he seemed to be avoiding early in the life of the show.

Rosenbloom seems to be resigned to his fate as well, he's been quieter of late and doesn't take Sean to task for his asinine comments anymore. Shit, why should Rosey fight a battle he can't win. I'm shocked that I've warmed to Rosenbloom, and actually like his take from time to time, but Douchebary, I'm done with him and his ex-athlete pro-management celebrity love and caller disrespect. Go ahead and disrespect the dumb callers, but to insult the ones that don't like you or agree with you, bite me.

So, bye bye Sean, bye bye ESPN from 10:15 until 3PM.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 11:05 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Papa Dells
If Space has any sense he is wondering "what the hell did I do". I stopped listening after about a week, so I don't know what direction the show is taking. But I can't imagine any inprovement in these two.

From what you wrote Hum, I think Rosey is missing Baum right about now. Does anyone think Space was pressured into this move by the Bristol suits? Or did he actually think this would work?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 11:12 pm 
1000 CLUB

Their is no doubt Space wanted to put his stamp on the station. Two shows are national. You can't touch MJH since they are doing well. But he got rid of S&C despite their improving numbers and the fact that they killed Pappy in their one hour match up. Space got to hire Rosey but their is no doubt in my mind that somebody from Bristol pushed Sean on him. Space didn't wake up one day and say "we need to get Salisburry here".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 9:01 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Quote:
Does anyone think Space was pressured into this move by the Bristol suits?

I believe this to to be the case and put a similar question to Mac in the "Ask Mac VI" thread. Hopefully he will have some information about Salisbury's hiring when he posts his answers.

Quote:
Salisbury brings all the traits from ESPN National that we all hate. He brags about how many famous people he knows, he gives everyone comfy nicknames (Krukker), he never holds coaches/managers accountable for anything [yet won't ever directly criticize a player either], and refuses to entertain any dissentful commentary or criticism. I also noticed that he's gone back to his LOUDER IS BETTER AND SMARTER mechanism which he seemed to be avoiding early in the life of the show.

Hummer--that is a very insightful dissection of the S&R radio cataclysm. Like you, I find myself enjoying Rosenbloom more than I would've thought, but I wonder if that's only because Salisbury is completely unlistenable. Great post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 9:22 am 

I couldn't agree more. This show is a complete and total trainwreck. I wish I could bitch about them more, but I'd have to listen to the show to do that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 9:49 am 

pizza_Place: Pete's
how about sean referring to chicago as "there" today when he was talking about restaurants. must be in bristol today!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 9:59 am 
1000 CLUB

I just hope they'll finally start talking about whether a baseball manager can be held responsible for his team's poor play. Maybe Sean will also say something like "even the lord Jesus himself couldn't come down and fix the Cubs". He never says that. [/sarcasm]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 10:20 am 
1000 CLUB

Quote:
Dopesbury got a little hickey and twangy today when they had Hawk on. The only thing missing was a little bluegrass tune in the background. Am I hearing things of anyone else noticed this too? IF anyone else listened, I should add.

"You own that USA Today Crossword, dontcha Hawk?"

Yes, Sean did turn the accent up quite a bit and did some sickening ball licking on the old Hawkaroo.

Thank god it's 10:15.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 10:23 am 
1000 CLUB

This might be the most uninspiring, mindless drivel I've ever heard. It is seriously making me consider listening to the Score, and for me that's saying something. The only time I listen to those boobs is for Sox games.

Is it just me, but in the last month have these two only had like 6 different topics of more than 1 minute? If I hear them talk more about Dusty Baker being to blame or not, I'm going to vomit on my keyboard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 10:26 am 
1000 CLUB

Quote:
I just hope they'll finally start talking about whether a baseball manager can be held responsible for his team's poor play. Maybe Sean will also say something like "even the lord Jesus himself couldn't come down and fix the Cubs". He never says that. [/sarcasm]

In Sean's world (and the world of ESPN National) no coach/manager is EVER responsible for the sub par play of their athletes. Bullshit.
But, I can see his point, why would you ever want to call out a guy who could some day be sitting next to you on a panel show? ESPN National isn't really about journalism, it's about croneyism.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 10:31 am 
1000 CLUB

Quote:
Why would you ever want to call out a guy who could some day be sitting next to you on a panel show? ESPN National isn't really about journalism, it's about croneyism.

...and a chill filled the room...

Good call, Hummer.

Bobby Valentine, Larry Boa, Steve Phillips, Rick Spielman. What do they all have in common? They were looking for work… while working for ESPN…

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 10:33 am 
1000 CLUB

They really need to yell more, and especially if it is done while trying to yell over each other. That makes for a great show.

Was anyone else just listening with Rick Morrissey on? Morrissey got the hell out of there as quick as he could....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 1:06 pm 
1000 CLUB

Could Sean and Steve be looking at a Rover like 0.2-0.6 ratings book, thats the feeling I get from my freinds and this board. This could be the best thing thats happened to the score in a while, or will people look for other talk shows.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 1:08 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Rocks and Blows wrote:
Could Sean and Steve be looking at a Rover like 0.2-0.6 ratings book, thats the feeling I get from my freinds and this board. This could be the best thing thats happened to the score in a while, or will people look for other talk shows.

To be honest I bet the neumber is lower, but marginally lower.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 1:45 pm 
1000 CLUB

Sadly, I have to disagree with you guys.

Look at Murph's numbers. Need I say more?

There's not a guy who the membership here dislikes more than Murph, yet he does decent numbers every book. I would love it for S&R to crash and burn, but I don't think it will happen to the extent referenced above.

S&R are like a new guy on my favorite team...you root for everyone else, and want the team to win, but you want that new guy to just suck and get released, traded, or get Thurman Munsoned.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 1:48 pm 
1000 CLUB

Lebron James's Hummer wrote:
S&R are like a new guy on my favorite team...you root for everyone else, and want the team to win, but you want that new guy to just suck and get released, traded, or get Thurman Munsoned.

Wow, tell us how you REALLY feel there

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 1:57 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Sadly, I have to disagree with you guys.

Look at Murph's numbers. Need I say more?

There's not a guy who the membership here dislikes more than Murph, yet he does decent numbers every book. I would love it for S&R to crash and burn, but I don't think it will happen to the extent referenced above.

OK, after reading my post I made no sense (i know its not the first time, these thigns happen when I am at work). I actually meant I don't think the ratings will be that much different from S&C but maybe just a couple decimals points down from what S&C could have done here. Who knows. But I did not mean to say that this show would do way worse. I meant to say a small margin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 3:43 am 
1000 CLUB

Rosey was good on Saturday mornings. I thought it was the best show on the Score. The reason why this show is bad is because for some reason, Salsbury feels he has a legite comment on everything. Most of us can smell a phony when we "hear" one. Sean is a phony. He tries to BS his way through thoughts stumbling over each sentence. This show has potential but Salsbury wont last. Hows about a seasoal guest depending on the Sports at the time. Kittle and Grace. Wennington. Sean Gayle etc with a Rosey giuding the show. Combine a couple on somedays. Just a thought.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:57 am 
1000 CLUB

I and others on this board had criticism about Silvy and Carmen. But Silvy and Carmen were at least decent people...they were mostly decent to callers amd emailers, and not so damn full of themselves. And they had a much more entertaining and listenable show. Reminds me to be careful what I wish for...I might get it. Also makes me wonder half seriously whether Spaceball is still getting paid by CBS Radio. He ought to be. He's doing a great job of getting people to switch their mid-morning listening habits to the Score.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:01 am 
1000 CLUB

I and others on this board had criticism about Silvy and Carmen. But Silvy and Carmen were at least decent people...they were mostly decent to callers and emailers, and not so damn full of themselves. I tuned in for a few minutes here and there this week to see if anything had changed. To my ears, it seems to have gotten worse. Nothing spells PHONY more than a guy who does a bit for a charity or good cause and feels the need to tell you about it ad nauseum. I think Sean mentioned his charity golf outing five times in the one hour I listened.

Reminds me to be careful what I wish for...I might get it. Also makes me wonder half seriously whether Spaceball is still getting paid by CBS Radio. He ought to be. He's doing a great job of getting people to switch their mid-morning listening habits to the Score.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:39 pm 
1000 CLUB

Coast2Coast wrote:
Nothing spells PHONY more than a guy who does a bit for a charity or good cause and feels the need to tell you about it ad nauseum.

Glad to see someone else hates Oprah as much as I do :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:43 pm 
1000 CLUB

get Thurman Munsoned.

:P

Or maybe R. Budd Dwyered (that's some interesting video)? Anyone see him post lately?