It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 10:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:51 am 

This may not be the perfect place to put this, but it seems as good as any. One of the things that drives me slightly batty about ESPN is how much they love their cross-platforming, so that you could read, say, Rob Neyer espn.com column, hear him on ESPN radio several times a week, and see him on ESPNews. Of course guys like Patrick and Greenberg do a fair amount of Sportscenters as well as their radio gigs. Technically, ESPN actually pulls this off pretty well--their many regular analysts always seem to find a good phone line, the pre-tapes are recorded at levels consistent with the live host, etc.

However, it does mean that their raido lineup seems to be in a constant of vacation, X host filling in for Y host, which means Z host has to fill in for X host, etc.

It is also pretty important, when doing talk radio, that one's voice and throat are in pretty good shape. A scratchy throat that would not impede an office job or even a lot of physical-labor jobs can completely crap out over a four-hour shift.

I'm listening to the Huddle with John Clayton and Seannycakes right now (10:45 CDT) and Sean did the Arkansas game (in Fayetteville) on Saturday night. He said he got on a plane, was about twenty minutes late for the show (which may not be his fault). His voice was awful-sounding when he came on, and now it's really bad. It is a bit unreasonable to expect someone to call a football game for about three hours on a Saturday night, fly somewhere (even if it's just Little Rock to Dallas, as I don't know whether Seannycakes is in Big D or Bristol), than do a four-hour talk radio shift at 10:00 the next morning.

You throw in a three-hour weekday morning shift on top of all this travel, that's too much. Salisbury, it would seem, is going to spend a fair amount of time in Dallas, some in Chicago, and some in Bristol, plus weekly trips to all over the place to call college football games. I would bet that between now and the bowl games, Sean is going to miss a lot of S&R shifts, or have to leave some early.

Of course, if he 1) stopped yelling 2) wasn't so keen on partying, it would not be as big a problem, but who expects that?

Sorry this is so long.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:54 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
I forgive you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:38 pm 

Bless you, Seacrest. Go in peace.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:34 am 

pizza_Place: Boboli
Quote:
Salisbury, it would seem, is going to spend a fair amount of time in Dallas, some in Chicago, and some in Bristol...

I think we have established that he doesn't set one foot in Chicago...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:31 am 

Funnily enough, a couple of hours after my brief post above, Sean said "I live in Chicago" Then he hacked up another chunk of lung. It was classic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:01 am 

pizza_Place: Rico's in Homewood, IL
SUCKSBURY is only here two days a week in Chicago.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:21 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
What I find funny about that comment is, and correct me if I'm wrong, that Sean has never said nationally that he "lives" in Chicago. Its only when' he's on-air here. Otherwise, its always Dallas that we here nationally.

On another note coming form one of their harshest critics, I've listened alll week and I must say, I've enjoyed the show this week and haven't had a need to turn it. Its still just one week, but its definitely been an improvement.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:28 am 

Woodridge Ryan wrote:
What I find funny about that comment is, and correct me if I'm wrong, that Sean has never said nationally that he "lives" in Chicago. Its only when' he's on-air here. Otherwise, its always Dallas that we here nationally.

On another note coming form one of their harshest critics, I've listened alll week and I must say, I've enjoyed the show this week and haven't had a need to turn it. Its still just one week, but its definitely been an improvement.

That doesn't justify the spring and summer months Woodridge that he's poisoning our airwaves.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:44 am 
1000 CLUB

Krumbs, Don't disagree with you in the slightest. I'm just hoping that maybe with a football season under these two that maybe it can transition to better sports talk next spring summer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:55 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Bianchi's - Ottawa
Keep it.

I'd still rather listen to Mully & Hanley.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:21 pm 

I agree. Mully & Hanley are much better. Remember what SUCKSBURY said when he was talking about the show on MJH, he said that he was going to move here and live here full-time so he could get the feel of Chicago sports. Yet he is only here on Wednesdays and Thursdays. The show is getting better, but it still has a long way to go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:24 pm 
1000 CLUB

Yea, Mully and Hanley is better at this point. I'm just trying to get to the point when I never change my dial again. I've really enjoyed Mully and Hanley the past 2-3 months. I thought Mulligan was great during camp.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:29 pm 

Is it that hard to change the dial Ryan? Do you have to re-position a satalite or something?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:34 pm 

w18wheeler wrote:
Is it that hard to change the dial Ryan? Do you have to re-position a satalite or something?

Well, smartguy, if you looked around here at all you would see that Ryan is an astroNOT on a space station who posts here and listens to the radio to break up the lonely moments. For him it is not a matter of turning a dial. In order for him to change a station he must redirect a station's entire signal, which requires permission from the CIA, FBI FCC and other lesser government agencies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:56 pm 
1000 CLUB

good dolphin, thank god you explained it to someone this time. I've explained this how many times now to people in this board? 10? 15? Thanks for taking care of it. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:59 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
i gave it a chance today for about an hour....same with yesterday....
then i turned it off and waited.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:20 am 

SUCKSBURY is a know-it-all that has no redeeming qualities about himself. It might be an act, but find a new act because this one ain't workin' in this town.