It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 10:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: FOX & TBS Keeping MLB
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
Although an official announcement hasn't been made just yet, it appears as if Major League Baseball will continue to be broadcast on ESPN, as well as FOX & TBS for the forseeable future.

According to BOTH USA Today's Michael Heistand & the New York Times' Richard Sandomir, MLB will soon announce long-term extensions with FOX Sports & Turner/TBS Sports, just a few weeks after ESPN announced a long term extension of its own with MLB.

While ESPN & ESPN Radio will pay MLB $5.6 billion over the next 8 years to continue broadcasting baseball on both TV & radio through 2021, it's believed FOX will pay around $500 million a year & Turner Sports will pay around $300 million to continue broadcasting MLB over the same 8 year period. In total, the new deals with ESPN, FOX & TBS are expected to generate double what the networks are currently paying. The networks currently pay $750 million, but under the new 8-year deal, the networks will end up paying a whopping $1.55 billion annually to Major League Baseball.

But wait...there's more. Under the terms of FOX & Turner's extension with MLB, here's what it means for you & me. First, TBS won't be broadcasting as many games as they do now. Instead of the current 26 games every Sunday afternoon & all 4 of the MLB Division Series since 2007, TBS will only broadcast 13 Sunday afternoon games, 1 Wildcard Game & 2 MLB Division Series, plus will also retain digital rights for its newly acquired Bleacher Report Web site. Turner Sports also will no longer blackout games in the teams' respective markets Sunday afternoons like they have now. In plain English, if the White Sox and/or Cubs are featured on TBS on a given Sunday, you'll be able to watch the game on TBS, in addition to whichever outlet is carrying the game locally.

As for FOX Sports, in addition to more Saturday afternoon regular season games as well as the MLB All-Star Game, the network would also broadcast 2 Division Series matchups, as well as the World Series. FOX will also continue to alternate League Championship Series matchups with TBS every year. FOX Sports also plans to put some of these games on a channel called FOX Sports One, a rebranded, retooled general sports network that'll soon replace the motorsports outlet known as Speed.

The biggest loser in this appears to be NBC Sports Network. The 24/7 sports network formerly known as Versus was hoping to increase visibility for its new outlet, but wouldn't meet MLB's asking price and fell out of negotiations. With the NHL currently locked out, NBC Sports Network faces quite a void in their schedule this fall & winter if the NHL indeed cancels games as a direct result of the lack of a new CBA with players & owners. Without MLB, NBCSN now turns their attention in hopes of wrestling away Big East football & basketball rights, as well as NASCAR from ESPN. Both of their contracts will soon be up for renewal.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Keeping Score wrote:
If you're gonna use half my name in a thread title, the thread should at least be half about me.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Little Caesar's
I hate Fox. Obvious Selig move.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:47 pm 

Keeping Score wrote:
If you're gonna use half my name in a thread title, the thread should at least be half about me.

Well, it's not...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:49 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
sjboyd0137 wrote:

Drinky and SHARK talk about the Cubs/Sox Rivalry

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:50 pm 

Colonel Angus wrote:

Well, I wonder if this also means more Joe Buck, Tim McCarver, the bow-tie wearing Ken Rosenthal, Thom Brennaman, Eric Karros, Dick Stockton & local FOX Sports Net guys like Diamondbacks/FS Arizona's Daron Sutton, who will call Twins/Tigers tomorrow with former Twins' pitcher turned Twins/FS North's Bert Blyleven...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
SHARK wrote:
Colonel Angus wrote:

Well, I wonder if this also means more Joe Buck, Tim McCarver, the bow-tie wearing Ken Rosenthal, Thom Brennaman, Eric Karros, Dick Stockton & local FOX Sports Net guys like Diamondbacks/FS Arizona's Daron Sutton, who will call Twins/Tigers tomorrow with former Twins' pitcher turned Twins/FS North's Bert Blyleven...

Do you really wonder if sportscasters that are employed by FOX will be working FOX controlled baseball games?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:52 pm 

SHARK wrote:
Keeping Score wrote:

Well, it's not...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:54 pm 

SHARK

Don't you dare say anything bad about Dick Stockton. Dick Stockton is a national treasure. I think it's wonderful that Fox keeps an elderly man with obvious dimentia employed and broadcasting on a weekly basis.

My dream booth would be Dick Stockton, Pat Summerall, and the obviously concussed Phil Simms.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:56 pm 

Hank Scorpio wrote:
SHARK wrote:
Colonel Angus wrote:

Do you really wonder if sportscasters that are employed by FOX will be working FOX controlled baseball games?

???? Well, I have noticed FOX Sports Net local guys calling "MLB on FOX" games this season. Two weeks ago, Steve Physioc, now the PBP of the Kansas City Royals on FS Kansas City, actually called Royals/White Sox on the "FOX Saturday Baseball Game of the Week".

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
Little sucks more than the fox game of the week. Lets buy the rights to a bunch of games, change the times and then black them out because we want to show the yankees to every market.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:00 pm 

Urlacher's missing neck wrote:
Little sucks more than the fox game of the week. Lets buy the rights to a bunch of games, change the times and then black them out because we want to show the yankees to every market.

It sucks when it's a game I don't give a rat's ass about such as Twins/Tigers. White Sox/Angels is clearly a better game, and it's in FOX's own backyard to boot.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
SHARK wrote:
Urlacher's missing neck wrote:

It sucks when it's a game I don't give a rat's ass about such as Twins/Tigers. White Sox/Angels is clearly a better game, and it's in FOX's own backyard to boot.

Better if it's an out of market game. You get in market on our regular sports stations, and then have the option to flip over to Fox....

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Nino's in Wheeling
The no NBC Sports network blows....

I was hoping to see Costas do baseball again regularly.....

The NBC game of the week in the 70s and 80s with Costas and Tony Kubek was great.....

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:13 am 

shultzyy wrote:
The no NBC Sports network blows....

I was hoping to see Costas do baseball again regularly.....

The NBC game of the week in the 70s and 80s with Costas and Tony Kubek was great.....

It's a bummer for them. NBC Sports Network didn't like MLB's asking price and bowed out of talks.

You can still hear Bob Costas doing MLB games, but not on NBC necessarily. He's one of the feature voices on MLB Network along with Matt Vasgersian & Brian Kenny. Occasionally, Bob will call games with the likes of Jim Kaat & John Smoltz.