It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 6:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 278 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Grantland
PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Olde Silver Tavern, Manalapan, NJ [R.I.P.?]
That reads like a dumb person's idea of how a smart person would write. No wonder Simmons hired her.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:54 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/982 ... erly-rated

I can't believe so many words were typed to come to the conclusion that Pearl Jam is a fairly good band.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Il-Forno in Deerfield
Giving credit where it is due:
The 89 World Series oral history today was a good read.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:31 am 

I did not read that particular piece but I did like the oral histories on WFAN and The National. However, the recent article on Baylor, in which the school was called a national title contender and was compared to Oregon, was obsequious claptrap at best. Just because they are undefeated? Ohio State is undefeated but only in some shitkicking Buckeye fan's wet dream is Ohio State a national title contender. Briles is a good coach but the author gushes over him like an infatuated schoolgirl and overstates his coaching influence. He sounds like any other coachy coach. Oh the players enjoy playing for him. He knows how to motivate. He's so unique! This fucking guy's team got rolled by a Ron Zook led Illinois squad three years ago in a bowl game. If Baylor ever contends for a national title under Briles I'll eat my own scrotum.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:53 am 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Scoring 64 points a game is awesome, don't even care if they're contenders

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Psycory wrote:

Yes, yes it was. I read the ones on the Houston Rockets and the Malice in the Palace last night, too.

I think the reason they're good is because no one from the Grantland staff has to write original content for them. Interviewing is what they do best, by far.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Il-Forno in Deerfield
sjboyd0137 wrote:
Psycory wrote:

Yes, yes it was. I read the ones on the Houston Rockets and the Malice in the Palace last night, too.

I think the reason they're good is because no one from the Grantland staff has to write original content for them. Interviewing is what they do best, by far.

Which is not a good sign for a website that's focused on writing...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:38 am 

pizza_Place: ------
Curious Hair wrote:
Zizou wrote:
I know I shouldn't have but I clicked.

I don't even know what that was. It read like a coked-up male virgin's first IMDB message board post.

The next time I have sex I am going to refer to it as the "artistic process."

Check this out, which I will quote here in its entirety except for the pictures of pretty leaves:

http://thisrecording.com/today/2010/9/1 ... ieces.html

Quote:
September Song (or, Twenty Years Of Schooling & They Put You On The Day Shift)

by MOLLY LAMBERT

Here comes September to cut into the sweaty, humid, unemployed, depressed cake that was August before it weeps any more pink frosting onto the dirty kitchen floor!

I grew up fetishizing cold weather, because it was not a thing we really have in Los Angeles. Years of exposure to books set in prep schools or written by Johns Updike and Cheever cultivated in me the strong Jewish/Catholic lust for east coast WASPs and their culture. I especially fetishized fall, with its scarves and coats and coziness.

Fall is when school starts, it's when the new TV season traditionally begins, and summer popcorn movies are replaced by Oscar-bait movies. Magazines get thick again (or they used to) and all of the new products are suddenly "pumpkin" or "plum."

September for me has always meant my birthday, which talk about your buildup to a non life-changing event. Nothing changes on your birthday. Nothing especially changes on New Year's. So why do we expect so much from our Septembers?

Well for one, September is when kids go back to school, which implies the return of structure to where there was none. Even if you went to camp or worked all summer break, August was about the antsiness building up for something new to happen.

We spend the bulk of our youths, a ridiculously long amount of our lives, on a strict calendar whose organizing principle is school starting in the early fall. It is not hard to imagine that vestigially we still feel like we are going back to school every September.

Until I lived on the east coast during college, I had no idea that scarves served an actual function (keeping your neck warm). I also knew nothing about the secret undertow of autumn's nostalgia, which is DREAD. The trade-off for the beautiful natural spectacle of New England autumn is that it becomes New England winter.

In California the fall crispness is just a prelude to more of the same during winter, but in most other places it acts as foreshadowing that within a couple of months it'll be too cold to keep your eyes open outside. Fall nostalgia has a morbid undercurrent. The leaves are beautiful but they are dying. Back to school's second self is Halloween.

It's like we subconsciously internalize the seasonal change. Studies have shown that external stimulants like sounds and smells have a huge impact on influencing human behavior. Is that why everyone freaks the fuck out at the end of summer even though they are no longer going back to school? Something about seeing all those pencils and backpacks just triggers the deep desire we all have to hit the reset button on our lives.

Most of the people I know are freelancers in one sense or another, and their career paths involve amorphous to-do lists and shitty day jobs or erratic work. Because I have nothing else to compare it to, it is hard for me to feel like being in your twenties right now is any different than being in your twenties at any point during the last century.

The future holds the possibility to be great or terrible, and since it has not yet occurred it remains simultaneously both. And so the flip side of anticipation is dread.

You can anticipate good things happening with the seasonal change, but because you absolutely cannot predict in advance them there is also endless dread of worst case scenarios, even though the chance of every situation playing out nightmarishly is low.

You might not have a decent job or an apartment or whatever right now, but that doesn't make you the kind of person who is incapable of having those things. It just makes you someone who doesn't happen to have all of them right now, which is most people at most points in most of their lives. It's not a comment on your true self.

The thing about external factors beyond your control (like the horrible economy and its many attendant trickle-down woes) is that they do change unexpectedly and in a way that is impossible to always predict accurately, much like the weather.

In the meantime all you can do is stay as positive as possible, keep putting in work, and maybe eat some pumpkin bread in a scarf and coat by a duck pond around dusk.

Molly Lambert is the managing editor of This Recording. She tumbls here and twitters here.

What the fuck!

I had the same morbid fascination about who is this Molly Lambert person and why the hell is she writing for a sports website where I stumbled across some of her pre-grantland work and holy solipsism is it a tough row to hoe

Chus wrote:
RPB is right. You suck. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:49 am 

I've realized who she is. She's Carles without misspellings and self-awareness.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:18 pm 

Chuck Klosterman wrote:
When a famous man dies, his critics tend to evaporate (at least temporarily). The type of person who disparages the newly dead always comes across like an opportunistic coward, and every postmortem potshot inevitably has the opposite effect. When a famous man dies, you don't mention the qualities that made him a problem. There is no point in attacking a man who is no longer there.

Unless that man is Lou Reed.

Then there is a point, and it explains everything else.

oh sweet merciful mother of

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:48 pm 

You know, it's fun to read this thread from page one and watch how the thread morphed from "wow this is groundbreaking stuff" to "this site is fucking bullshit." Actually it didn't morph so much as it got bumped and the tone changed abruptly. For the better, I might add; this site is fucking bullshit and that Klosterman quote proves it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:28 pm 

I check this site out everyday. I pay virtually no attention to the movie/music/tv articles so I don't have much bad to say about it.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Curious Hair wrote:
You know, it's fun to read this thread from page one and watch how the thread morphed from "wow this is groundbreaking stuff" to "this site is fucking bullshit." Actually it didn't morph so much as it got bumped and the tone changed abruptly. For the better, I might add; this site is fucking bullshit and that Klosterman quote proves it.

I figured it was just me ... it's just 99% garbage at this point ... I literally have no idea who their target audience is, but I'm sure that said audience is best served by dying in a fire.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:11 pm 

Don Tiny wrote:
I literally have no idea who their target audience is

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Zach Lowe and Bill Barnwell are great. Especially Lowe. I'll always like Simmons. Im with Conns and I'll take your guys word for it that their pop culture stuff sucks. It doesn't interest me anyway. It's a good site overall.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Dave In Champaign wrote:
Don Tiny wrote:

I'm not the avid listener of yore, but I haven't heard him dredge up their site in quite some time.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
Curious Hair wrote:
Quote:
September Song (or, Twenty Years Of Schooling & They Put You On The Day Shift)

by MOLLY LAMBERT

The thing about external factors beyond your control (like the horrible economy and its many attendant trickle-down woes) is that they do change unexpectedly and in a way that is impossible to always predict accurately, much like the weather.

Was that supposed to be snarky or ironic and I just didn't get it, or is she really saying "So, the thing about things beyond your control is that, like, you can't do anything about them because they are beyond your control." as if it were insightful?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:43 pm 

It's best not to think about it. I'm still working on Schrodinger's Tomorrow here.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:50 pm 

Don Tiny wrote:
Dave In Champaign wrote:
Don Tiny wrote:

I'm not the avid listener of yore, but I haven't heard him dredge up their site in quite some time.

It's not so much that he mentions Grantland a lot, it's that he shares its propensity for filtering neoliberal hipster racism through TED Talks and smearing the resulting excretion all over discussions of sports and pop culture.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:03 pm 

It's always tough when I have to tell people I have no interest in watching a TED Talk.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:38 pm 

Pitchfork with an Honorary Klosterman regarding the new Arcade Fire:

Quote:
The only way to make a Big Rock Record in 2013 is to make one that is skeptical of what it means to be a Big Rock Record in 2013.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Cali Za Kitchen
@mollylambert: Eminem sucks so badly it's embarrassing

:evil: :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:02 pm 

Proto-Grantland here. Read the Magary thing on Deadspin and went down the rabbit hole to this:

http://deadspin.com/5697455/the-confess ... puck-tease

I feel conflicted. I mean, it's interesting, but like anything Katie Baker writes that isn't superficial I-sure-do-like-the-Rangers white bread, it's peppered with too many strident reminders that she comes from considerable money, and that just leaves me feeling alienated. I mean, it's a good thing for her sake and the world's sake that all a weird guy from the internet did was watch her play field hockey at her east-coast boarding school, but "and then he came to my field hockey game at my east-coast boarding school" just isn't a great moment in climax history, you know? I was going to say "it's as if J.D. Salinger had written Catfish," but then I thought about it and downgraded it on both fronts to "it's as if John Knowles had written Swimfan."

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:33 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
I was going to say "it's as if J.D. Salinger had written Catfish," but then I thought about it and downgraded it on both fronts to "it's as if John Knowles had written Swimfan."

I lol'd.

I actually think Baker is the best pure writer they have (apart from the actually good writers like Phillips and Morris), but she has a unique talent for choosing the most puerile fucking topics to write about.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:57 pm 

Quote:
CBGB, a movie about the club that ostensibly birthed American punk, ends with one of those American Graffiti/Animal House epilogue sequences telling you what happened to all the characters. Alongside a picture of the movie's impostor Ramones is the caption "The Ramones played 74 gigs at CBGB in 1974. The band became so iconic that their music can now be heard in commercials and their CDs can be purchased at Starbucks." No punch line follows, except the joke that is on you for having watched the entire thing.

This is an astute, well-written summary of what is almost certainly an execrable movie. That said--and maybe I'm being unfair here because I think Molly Lambert is just the absolute fucking worst--it's almost more offensive that she affects this HAY GUYSES LOOK HOW MUCH PUNK BANDS I KNO act instead of just writing a normal Grantland article where she theorizes that not selling out is the new selling out, so when you factor in the foreign box office gross, it's actually kind of awesome that Ron Weasley plays Cheetah Chrome!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:13 pm 

Dave In Champaign wrote:
I actually think Baker is the best pure writer they have (apart from the actually good writers like Phillips and Morris), but she has a unique talent for choosing the most puerile fucking topics to write about.

She's definitely a solid writer, especially amidst some of the incompetent dullards who write for Grantland. I just find her vaguely unlikable for the whole Goldman Sachs thing and the fact that she's coasted on being a "hockey writer" despite never offering any unique insight, investigation, analysis, or critique. You'd think that her love for hockey, the NHL's bursting dossier of business woes, and her Wall Street background would all coalesce into some really good longform journalism on the one big league ESPN isn't beholden to, but that might take effort! Best to just do mailbags and make fun of NYT society pages while being just the kind of uber-privileged East Coast WASP who's gonna be in there one day anyway. Also, remember the '94 Rangers? That was cool and stuff!

One of the comments on the Deadspin piece was something like "I can't believe you've been writing about hockey for all these years and still don't know anything about it," which even two and a half years later pretty well sums up the Katie Baker experience for me. That, and the fact that after DGB did an excellent piece on how to fix the NHL, she wrote a rebuttal on how not to fix it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:19 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Curious Hair wrote:
"and then he came to my field hockey game at my east-coast boarding school" just isn't a great moment in climax history, you know?

You've gotta write what you know.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:57 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
Zach Lowe and Bill Barnwell are great. Especially Lowe. I'll always like Simmons. Im with Conns and I'll take your guys word for it that their pop culture stuff sucks. It doesn't interest me anyway. It's a good site overall.

I love the Zach Lowe stuff over there. Barnwell is above average and I don't hate Greenwald on TV. Other than that its a shit show.

Chus wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:19 pm 

I know Shoemaker is kind of a niche writer, but I think he's awesome.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:21 pm 

Dave In Champaign wrote:
I know Shoemaker is kind of a niche writer, but I think he's awesome.

I actually like the wrestling coverage too I just completely forgot about it

Chus wrote:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 278 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next