It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 10:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:34 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
Everyone is trying to have their own ESPN empire now. You see it with NBC Sports Channel and forthcoming NBC Sports Radio. Fox is trying to do a national Fox Sports channel AGAIN in addition to its RSNs while expanding Fox Sports Radio. CBS has its own national sports channel (the old College Sports TV) and now it has its own radio.

TOO MUCH FUCKING SPORTS

It's all about reducing cost, and maximizing profits. These companies don't care about the quality of program they are putting on the air until it begins to eat into profits. All radio is becoming like this now with voice tracking, automation, and dumbed down playlists.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:37 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
rogers park bryan wrote:
Grobber is fucked at the very least

Welcome back David Stein (I liked his show).

What's good in your life?

Kid Cairo: 2013 March Madness Tournament Winner!

"Cowabunga? Cowa fucking piece of dog shit! This game is diarrhea coming out of my dick!"

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:40 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Douchebag wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
Everyone is trying to have their own ESPN empire now. You see it with NBC Sports Channel and forthcoming NBC Sports Radio. Fox is trying to do a national Fox Sports channel AGAIN in addition to its RSNs while expanding Fox Sports Radio. CBS has its own national sports channel (the old College Sports TV) and now it has its own radio.

TOO MUCH FUCKING SPORTS

It's all about reducing cost, and maximizing profits. These companies don't care about the quality of program they are putting on the air until it begins to eat into profits. All radio is becoming like this now with voice tracking, automation, and dumbed down playlists.

Yep. Radio's dying. Sucks!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:41 am 

pizza_Place: Frozen
rogers park bryan wrote:
ROME on the SCORE

RACK EM

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:42 am 

Rome and Patrick's respective radio shows are syndicated by Fox Sports. They wouldn't be on a networked Score.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:42 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
Rome and Patrick's respective radio shows are syndicated by Fox Sports. They wouldn't be on a networked Score.

Im not sure what you mean, but Rome just joined CBS and is there big ticket right now

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:45 am 

pizza_Place: Piece Pizza and Brewery
rogers park bryan wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

Im not sure what you mean, but Rome just joined CBS and is there big ticket right now

His ratings on CBS have been real bad

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:46 am 

Rome's television show and radio show are still separate properties, aren't they? He has a television show on CBS Sports, but I think Fox/Premiere still syndicates his radio show. It was like that when he was on ESPN, at least.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:47 am 

Northside_Dan wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

His ratings on CBS have been real bad

Are you trying to hurt me?

Are you talking radio or Tv?

The TV show doesnt matter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:47 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Im hoping for Rome replay @ 10pm.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:48 am 

spmack wrote:
I think you all are really jumping the gun, here.

You've read this board before, right? :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:48 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:

TV ratings

http://outkickthecoverage.com/jim-romes ... etwork.php

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:50 am 

pizza_Place: Lanny Poffo's Sausage and More
Douchebag wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

TOO MUCH FUCKING SPORTS

Exactly. As far as the impact on the Score, I usually let things play out before having a hard opinion. But this can't be viewed as anything but awful for producers, update people, or anyone trying to get into the business at the local level. At least as the host of a show.

I would cover for SHARK, Drop In, Dave in Champaign, my Mom, and Urlacher's Missing Neck. After that, the list gets pretty thin. There are a few people about whom I would definitely fabricate charges.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:51 am 

pizza_Place: Four hours away....and on fire :-(
What happens to Sox broadcasts? No change there?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:52 am 

pizza_Place: Investigating
The Original Kid Cairo wrote:
Kinda makes me wonder why they even bothered to do Score Search this year. As a Program Director, Mitch has already known about this change for some time.

The Score Search seems to be more of a marketing effort to give its listeners an opportunity to be a sports talk host. Lots of people think they can do it and I am sure for some it is a fun exercise to "test your chops" (yeah, not a great line I know). For the Score I don't think there is a downside to have the contest for the people even if the winner has no chance to have a long term gig.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:53 am 

Northside_Dan wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

TV ratings

http://outkickthecoverage.com/jim-romes ... etwork.php

First. I have a hard time finding that channel on DirecTV. It's not near anything relevant.

Second. If you catch his radio show that day, you don't need to watch. His initial take on a subject is almost and exact match of what he said/read that day on the radio

And C. I usually watch other things...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:53 am 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City
Grand Rapids is closer than I thought.

Bye Bye Mackey

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:54 am 

Northside Dan, I cant find anything on bad ratings

I see that his audience has dwindled, but ESPN is going to have more viewers than the CBS sports network.

Its like taking your product out of Wal mart and putting it into Hy Vee and then saying the "customer base has dwindled"

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:55 am 

Yeah, Dan, thats the article.

I dont see that as anything other than leaving ESPN has a downside.

That article says the ratings arent even available.

Take it back, Dan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Lanny Poffo's Sausage and More
I'm wrong at least three times per day, and this could be one of those times. However, this announcement would seem to create a very real opportunity for a web/pod based Chicago sports radio station. I'm going to find an investor on Craig's List. This obviously depends on how much national programming would be placed on WSCR.

I would cover for SHARK, Drop In, Dave in Champaign, my Mom, and Urlacher's Missing Neck. After that, the list gets pretty thin. There are a few people about whom I would definitely fabricate charges.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:01 pm 

Clearly TV viewership was expected to drop, but not at the precipitous levels in which is has.

Speaks more to the power of ESPN than saying anything about Rome. People will stay tuned to whatever is on that network regardless.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
redskingreg wrote:
What happens to Sox broadcasts? No change there?

Probably not. They have a contract with the station. No different than when they were still on ESPN.

May kill White Sox Weekly, though, which would be a merciful death.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
Tough day for the Grobber. Nothing really to joke about. Most of us are one corporate whim from unemployment.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Investigating
Hatchetman wrote:
Tough day for the Grobber. Nothing really to joke about. Most of us are one corporate whim from unemployment.

One corporate whim from unemployment. nice.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Bojono's on Clarendon
For as long as there are 2 all sports radio stations in Chicago, one will always be live,local call-in/analysis during morning drive. If The Score ditches it, you can bet AM1000 will pick one up. There is nearly always overnight news to discuss, be it scores, injuries, trades or D.W.I's. Plus there is the notion of tuning to one station and leaving it there all day, which is hugely advantageous in the Personal People Meter ratings data-gathering model. The fact the Mike North's last incarnation on then Score was beaten by a national show was more a testimony to how unlistenable it was than how superior the other station's product was. As for the rest of the new network, my guess is that The Score will be more of a content generator than content user.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:23 pm 

pizza_Place: sit down
Makes sense from a business pov.

Ratings for terrestrial radio are in a perma-slide.

The remaining audience is going to listen no matter what, basically.

Those who have moved on and will move on to podcasts/XM/etc are likely gone for good.

Might as well reduce input costs since it's unlikely to impact already rock bottom ad revenues at this point.

i.e., instead of paying salaries for 20 hosts in 20 different cities, you pay 1 host to cover those 20 cities and still harvest basically
the same revenue stream.

Last edited by NearWessSideHussra on Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:27 pm 

pizza_Place: sit down
There are sites dedicated to seeding small projects:

http://www.indiegogo.com/loveforkarenhklein

kickstarter.com/projects/zefrank/a-show-with-ze-frank

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:29 pm 

Drop In wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

TOO MUCH FUCKING SPORTS

Exactly. As far as the impact on the Score, I usually let things play out before having a hard opinion. But this can't be viewed as anything but awful for producers, update people, or anyone trying to get into the business at the local level. At least as the host of a show.

You don't have to let it play out. Do you remember in the not to distant past when the Score aired national programming from 6 pm until 6 am and the entirety of weekends? That was the meat era of the station. That shit fucking sucked and this is EXACTLY what is going to happen now.

This will be a huge blow to fans of local sports radio and its impact cannot be understated. This really pisses me off.

On the good side, the previous talk about a third sports station will undoubtedly come to fruition either on 105.9 or 101 as the market for local focused sports talk will be reopened.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
I think its a dumb idea for Chicago, but am confident corporate execs have no idea what they are doing.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:34 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
This will be a huge blow to fans of local sports radio and its impact cannot be understated. This really pisses me off.
It will also change the product of the local stations, unless of course you think that Boers and Bernstein are going to be played in 10 other markets talking about the Matt Forte holdout for 4 hours.

I listen to a morning radio show with a national audience that is based in Washington, DC. They cover DC more than they would normally but the topics invariably are skewed to sell as well in Omaha as they do there.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next