It is currently Mon Jun 03, 2024 7:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 163 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:21 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
I'm not sure what point he was trying to make, if any. but what he does- inadvertently, I'm sure- is show exactly how silly it is to put Clemente among the pantheon of Mantle, Mays, and Aaron. Clemente belongs in conversations with Al Kaline.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:57 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
That's fair. But baseball is just as sentimental as it is analytical (part of the charm, right?) and Clemente was the star on a historically beloved team, the best player of a charter franchise, and died young during his playing career doing charity work for a beleaguered colony. It's hard to begrudge the extra-credit points.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:40 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Curious Hair wrote:
That's fair. But baseball is just as sentimental as it is analytical (part of the charm, right?) and Clemente was the star on a historically beloved team, the best player of a charter franchise, and died young during his playing career doing charity work for a beleaguered colony. It's hard to begrudge the extra-credit points.

The Pirates are historically beloved?

Clemente was 38. It's young but he had a career.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Uh, no. It sounds like exactly as many as he hit.

There was a graphic on a broadcast, think it was local cubs, with banks and Clemente stats and I think it was JD remarked that he was surprised that Clemente’s home rum number wasn’t higher. He wasn’t doubting the number just had assumed it would be higher. That’s about the only way the sentence makes sense “Damn, thought it would be higher than that” or something to that effect.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

Clemente was 38. It's young but he had a career.

I know I’ve heard over the years about how his career was cut short though... Legend grew in death obviously as 38 isn’t cutting a baseball career short. Obviously he was before my time so it’s interesting to see that,, I’m pretty sure I would have guessed early 30’s if I had been asked about his death a week ago.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
https://deadline.com/2020/07/former-dea ... 202997324/

Quote:
Nearly all of the 20 or so staffers of Deadspin who departed the sports and culture website in 2019 during a remarkable mass exodus have reunited to form a new digital company, Defector Media.

Using a subscription format, unlike the advertising-dependent Deadspin, Defector will primarily cover sports but plans to occasionally divert from that based on the inclinations of the editorial team. G/O Media, the private equity-backed firm that took over Deadspin in 2019, inflamed tensions with staffers by insisting that they “stick to sports,” a dictum they decided they could not follow.

Launching with a podcast in August and a website in September, Defector will charge $8 a month or $69 a year for basic access. Each of the 19 staffers in the new operation is a roughly 5% equity holder in the company.

Although Deadspin continues to publish, its roster of contributors is much lower-profile and its ability to generate headline-making posts is dramatically diminished compared with Deadspin.

Tom Ley will be the editor-in-chief of Defector, with business operations run by Jasper Wang, a former Bain & Company employee and self-described fan of Deadspin. One model for Defector is The Athletic, a startup built on the subscription model that has disrupted the field of sports journalism by hiring a raft of big-name contributors, many of whom were at newspapers and magazines. The Athletic frequently breaks big stories and sets the agenda for sports media.

“The hardest part is still the hard part which is having writers with talent and followings, and having these writers willing to hold hands and jump together,” Wang told the New York Times. “Once they decided to do that, building the scaffolding of the business is easier than it’s ever been.”

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:26 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense

The '71 and '79 Pirates seem to have a lot of warm feelings, not the franchise in general.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
If he hadn't been killed, he would had a solid chance at 3500 hits. Part of the legacy is that he was still playing very well at the end. No Willie Mays falling down in center field, or Ernie Banks posting a sub 300 OBP on one knee.

Tony Gwynn with better power, and with much better defensive range and elite arm.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
He had 3,000 hits, so clearly he had a full career. He just wasn't a real power hitter. He's closer to Pete Rose in homers (160) than he is to the real sluggers. Best arm ever though.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:35 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Jaw Breaker wrote:
He had 3,000 hits, so clearly he had a full career. He just wasn't a real power hitter. He's closer to Pete Rose in homers (160) than he is to the real sluggers. Best arm ever though.

Part of that is where he played. I think he and Kaline are the same guy. If they had swapped home parks Clemente would have the homers and Kaline would have the triples.

A lot of Clemente's legend is due to World Series highlight reels during Game of the Week rain delays.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:40 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

A lot of Clemente's legend is due to World Series highlight reels during Game of the Week rain delays.

Yeah, wasn't that called "A Touch of Royalty" or something? Seemed like it was aired every time there was a rain delay.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:44 pm 

I am of the age where the Pirates 71 WS was the first one I watched and comprehended, although I don't remember it. I do remember that whenever the Cubs played the Pirates, Brickhouse would be clear in telling viewers that Clemente was a special player (as he did with Aaron) which is why I paid attention to him as a kid.

Clemente is one of my favorite players who never played in Chicago. But even I will readily acknowlege that he is a step down from the greatest right fielders.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:06 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
Curious Hair wrote:

The '71 and '79 Pirates seem to have a lot of warm feelings, not the franchise in general.

I can't speak to '71 but the '79 warm feelings were probably due to the cocaine.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:26 pm 

When I think of guys that got cut down before their prime, I always go to Lyman Bostock.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:38 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
What I remember is the Pirates had cool uniforms and Clemente had a sing-songy name. R-R-Roberto Cle-ment-ay

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Ok another person continuing this myth.

“ But considering that nearly 50 percent of NFL fans are women, wouldn’t it have made sense to flout a trial balloon with one of the many women at ESPN who have been covering the NFL? I mean, it seems like a no-brainer here if you’re concerned about appealing to your female audience and cultivating new voices for the long-running brand.”

https://deadspin.com/of-course-two-white-guys-got-the-job-1844752885

I am sure there are plenty of women that like football. But most guys are getting the eye roll when they turn on football every Sunday.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
denisdman wrote:
Ok another person continuing this myth.

“ But considering that nearly 50 percent of NFL fans are women, wouldn’t it have made sense to flout a trial balloon with one of the many women at ESPN who have been covering the NFL? I mean, it seems like a no-brainer here if you’re concerned about appealing to your female audience and cultivating new voices for the long-running brand.”

https://deadspin.com/of-course-two-white-guys-got-the-job-1844752885

I am sure there are plenty of women that like football. But most guys are getting the eye roll when they turn on football every Sunday.

So its Julie writing it.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:01 pm 

Nope it’s Barrow’s work...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:02 pm 

denisdman wrote:

With the typo? She must've at least had a hand in the editing then.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:03 pm 

badrogue17 wrote:
denisdman wrote:

With the typo? She must've at least had a hand in the editing then.

Hah I didn’t even notice that. You have a discerning eye for trash, kind of hnd-esque.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:04 pm 

If women already make up 50% of the fan base, why would the NFL/networks need to change anything? To shoot for 60%? They undermine their argument with dumb statements like that. They would be better off saying women only comprise 20%.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:06 pm 

The original statement came from the NFL, but it is just a marketing ploy. Last I checked Soldier Field is like 80% male on Bears game, and thus the packed urinals.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:22 pm 

This isn’t a complicated topic. Nobody needs to do mental gymnastics on this. Men like sports by a significant majority over women, it’s nowhere close to 50/50. There’s no reason to pretend otherwise to humor some fake social movement :lol:

This is entirely an Extremely Online thing.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
denisdman wrote:
The original statement came from the NFL, but it is just a marketing ploy. Last I checked Soldier Field is like 80% male on Bears game, and thus the packed urinals.

Very true. They actually convert some of the women’s restrooms to men’s restrooms for Bears games to try to provide bathroom balance.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:38 am 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
I'm not sure what point he was trying to make, if any. but what he does- inadvertently, I'm sure- is show exactly how silly it is to put Clemente among the pantheon of Mantle, Mays, and Aaron. Clemente belongs in conversations with Al Kaline.

alls i know is if clemente got a high school in chicago there oughta be a vladimir alvino guerrero high school somewhere in the world.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:39 am 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
btw JORR, what do you think of Mantle/Trout comparisons? as a vlad guy i'm tickled that the angels #27 goes vlad trout done if the angles don't fuck it up. keep those beer prices fair, arte!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:04 pm 

Don’t know if this is a July work but going after a 92-year-old man seems like something she would do.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:08 pm 

Fels. Vin Scully needs to die basically. Classy.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:29 pm 

Venezuela is obviously a success.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:32 pm 

I keep visiting DeadSpin, and that site is terrible. There is nothing interesting or fun on there anymore. It just seems like a shit lib paradise.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 163 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next