It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 2:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:06 pm 

pizza_Place: ------
Drop In wrote:
If it's financed properly, and legally, a third station could be the good thing to come from this move.

It's the best chance to get Mike Murphy back on the air where he belongs.

Chus wrote:
RPB is right. You suck. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
Drop In wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
I'm in full chicken little mode on this move.

I realized an earlier response wasn't very clear. I said I normally wait for more information before forming a set opinion. In this case, it was pretty easy to say this is bad for pretty much everyone except Dan Bernstein. Even with the webio disaster, I still believed this market could support another sports radio station. If it's financed properly, and legally, a third station could be the good thing to come from this move.

There was talk about a third sports talk radio station in Chicago when the White Sox last radio deal with The SCORE & the Bulls' rights-free deal with ESPN Radio 1000 expired, guys.

The man who signs the checks for BOTH the Bulls & Sox, Chairman Jerry Reinsdorf, was reportedly in talks with Jeff Smulyan, the former Seattle Mariners' owner and one of the bosses of Indianapolis-based Emmis Communications, former owners of 97.9 The LOOP & the defunct Q101, in regards to a third sports talk station. I think the deal fell through in large part because of the economy and start-up costs that didn't make such a station feasible. As a result, the Bulls ended up signing an extension with ESPN 1000, while the Sox ended up signing a 5-year extension with The SCORE.

The ONLY thing I'm not sure about is whether ESPN 1000 will pay a rights fee to continue broadcasting the Bulls starting next season. Based on what I remember reading, ESPN Radio didn't pay such a fee. I'm reasonably sure The SCORE does pay a rights fee to carry the White Sox.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
The Original Kid Cairo wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Grobber is fucked at the very least

Welcome back David Stein (I liked his show).

What's good in your life?

Take the gun, leave the cannoli

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:46 pm 

To my knowledge, WSCR 670 The SCORE & the station that started the sports talk phenomenon, New York's WFAN, are the ONLY outlets that broadcast live & local overnights. It wasn't that way a while back either in WSCR's case, as they used to air FOX Sports Radio from midnight on many years ago due to corporate cutbacks.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:49 pm 

pizza_Place: sit down
Take the Grobber national. Scare away tourists from Chicago. Too many of em in the Summer.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:51 pm 

I didn't read the whole release.

Is Yahoo Sports Radio affiliated with CBS? Becasue Steve Czaban and Travis Rodgers are the goods...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:53 pm 

Krazy Ivan wrote:
Is Yahoo Sports Radio affiliated with CBS? Becasue Steve Czaban and Travis Rodgers are the goods...
My guy!

No, they aren't. They would be competitors.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:56 pm 

NearWessSideHussra wrote:
Take the Grobber national. Scare away tourists from Chicago. Too many of em in the Summer.

I don't know if the Grobber would want to go national like a certain Chicago-based horror movie host named "Svengoolie" on MeTV every weekend.

As for Yahoo! Sports Radio, they replaced Sporting News Radio. That 24/7 sports talk radio network was also known as One-on-One Sports, and their studios & offices were based in Northbrook. They relocated to Los Angeles when they were became Sporting News Radio, and had a partnership with FOX Sports in regards to content. I think when Yahoo! took over, they relocated their studios & offices to Houston. Confused? You aren't alone.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
From Larz. I put the important parts in bold and blue :P

Quote:
Written by Larz
Thursday, 21 June 2012 10:49
At the start of next year, CBS Radio and CBS Sports will be launching a new 24 hour a day sports radio network, featuring a line-up of sports talkers and reporters from across the country, including Chicago. The new "CBS Sports Radio Network" could become the largest sports radio network in the country, eclipsing ESPN and FOX Sports Radio. Cumulus Media will serve as the new network's exclusive distributor and sales partner.

The CBS Sports Radio Network will debut its 24/7 sports-talk lineup on January 3, 2013. The network will feature live, original programming for weekdays and weekends, featuring some of the best from CBS and Cumulus-owned sports stations nationwide. Chicago's WSCR-AM will be a key contributor to the new network. Other programming will come from CBS Radio stations nationwide, including New York's WFAN-AM, Dallas' KRLD-FM, Philadelphia's WIP-FM, Boston's WBZ-FM, and many others.

All stations on the network will benefit by being able to share high-profile personalities, big name sports guests, and prominent sport-specific experts. This is especially so in regards to the NFL and NCAA sports, which CBS Sports is affiliated with. The elements that makes local sports radio so popular, including listener calls and fan interaction, will still be part of the national network, as well.

Affiliates can air the entire 24/7 CBS Sports Radio lineup, or pick and choose shows, keeping some local programming mixed in. Stations can also stream both the national and local broadcasts on their websites.

Prior to the launch of the national network, beginning on September 4th, CBS Sports Radio updates will be heard on all CBS & Cumulus sports stations, delivering national sports headlines, news, and scores hourly.

In today's announcement, Les Moonves, President and CEO of CBS Corporation, said: "As one of the leading media companies in the world, and a dominant force in sports programming, we look forward to bringing to bear the full resources of CBS and capitalizing on an exciting new growth opportunity for the company. CBS Sports and CBS Radio have been widely recognized for their outstanding contributions to sports broadcasting. This next step in their evolution will serve an ever-expanding audience of sports fans from coast to coast."

Dan Mason, President and CEO of CBS Radio, added: "This is a great day for CBS Radio and sports fans nationwide. For more than two decades we have owned local sports radio and appreciate great talent and programming that resonates with listeners and elicits passionate dialogue and debate. We are bullish our expertise and prior achievements will allow us to successfully complement our existing businesses while expanding into what until now has been a largely unchallenged sector of the radio business."

While this is a huge announcement for CBS Radio, fans of WSCR-AM/670 The Score will not see major changes and should not fear this news. What fans will notice in the coming months is bigger guests and the hourly national updates. Beyond that, there are no changes planned for the Score's regular line-up due to the new network and the station will remain mainly live & local and geared toward Chicago sports fans. WSCR-AM will also remain the flagship home for Chicago White Sox broadcasts. No jobs should be lost locally from today's big news.

Chicagoans who now live in other markets may get the opportunity to hear some of their favorite Chicago sports talk hosts or reporters on their local station, though, which should please them.

Cumulus Media, the second largest radio broadcaster in the country, will serve as the network's exclusive syndicator and sales partner to secure affiliate agreements and ad sales with radio stations nationwide through Cumulus Media Networks. In addition, Cumulus will make CBS Sports Radio programming available on 67 of its owned stations (that does not currently include its two Chicago station, though).

Lew Dickey, Chairman, President and CEO of Cumulus Media, said in today's statement "We are pleased to partner with CBS to deliver the leading entrant into the sports radio market. CBS Sports Radio is an exciting opportunity for us to offer compelling sports content to listeners nationwide, and unique sports marketing opportunities for our advertisers."

Sean McManus, Chairman of CBS Sports, said today: "In this era of growing multimedia platforms, the addition of a national radio network to CBS Sports' broadcast, cable and digital properties allows us to extend the storied CBS Sports brand to radio listeners across the country. We are pleased CBS Sports Radio will allow fans to consume CBS Sports content on a different platform from some of the most recognizable and respected broadcasters in the industry."

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Investigating
Spmack with the goods. Is SHARK slipping?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:04 pm 

Larz clearly just guessed there.

Of course the regular lineup won't change, at least right now.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:07 pm 

beni hanna wrote:

I would've cut & paste a link. It's a term I learned in computer class many years ago.

I'm still not so sure it'll be called The SCORE much longer. If CBS has its way, it'll be re-branded as "CBS SportsRadio 670 AM/CBS SportsRadio Chicago" in due time. Other CBS Radio owned sports talkers will follow suit, depending on location.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
SHARK wrote:
beni hanna wrote:

I would've cut & paste a link. It's a term I learned in computer class many years ago.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:13 pm 

Terry's Peeps wrote:
SHARK wrote:
beni hanna wrote:

What?! That's the technical term. It's called cut & paste. Honest!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:13 pm 

I love you SHARK.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:15 pm 

pizza_Place: ------
SHARK wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:
SHARK wrote:

What?! That's the technical term. It's called cut & paste. Honest!

Chus wrote:
RPB is right. You suck. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:17 pm 

That's what it's called, Ron Burgundy.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
SHARK wrote:
beni hanna wrote:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 906AAdpUzg

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:19 pm 

spmack wrote:
SHARK wrote:
beni hanna wrote:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 906AAdpUzg

Oh brother!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:20 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Investigating
good clean fun. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:00 pm 
KRLD out of Dallas..... you know what that means.....

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Lanny Poffo's Sausage and More
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Larz clearly just guessed there.

Of course the regular lineup won't change, at least right now.

Exactly. They aren't letting people go, or closing off opportunity, in August. Talk to everyone in a year Larz.

I would cover for SHARK, Drop In, Dave in Champaign, my Mom, and Urlacher's Missing Neck. After that, the list gets pretty thin. There are a few people about whom I would definitely fabricate charges.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:20 am 

pizza_Place: A few...
Not just national content coming in: "Expect programming from CBS sister “Score” WSCR, Chicago (670) to be available throughout the Midwest."

That should generate some interesting calls.

"Why don't you ever talk about the Cardinals?" Cue the banjo music.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:20 am 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
Baby McNown wrote:

still the most legendary thread in board history. discuss.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:01 am 

Looks like there some trolling going on at Larz's board about this topic. Everyone thinks this is some new station that will have it's own frequency. :

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:06 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
Douchebag wrote:
Looks like there some trolling going on at Larz's board about this topic. Everyone thinks this is some new station that will have it's own frequency. :

That would actually be a pretty good strategy. Set up a 24-hour national sports station for the mouth-breathers. That would hit ESPN in the shorts. Presumably WSCR wouldn't be bothered much.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:42 am 
1000 CLUB

More profits over programming....

Bernsie could finally expand his palette to a national audience and not be envious of Greeny anymore.

I'm sure the ass rape and cooking musings would be neutered.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
sinicalypse wrote:
Baby McNown wrote:

still the most legendary thread in board history. discuss.

Overrated.

Kid Cairo: 2013 March Madness Tournament Winner!

"Cowabunga? Cowa fucking piece of dog shit! This game is diarrhea coming out of my dick!"

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:47 pm 

No kidding.

That thread was the drizzling shits.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next