It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dan Lebatard Radio show
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:09 pm 
1000 CLUB

Anyone listen to Lebatard (Espn radio)? He's not on in Chicago so you have to stream it or podcast it.

I once read someone here describe Bomani Jones as the successful version of Jason Goff, or everything Jason Goff wishes he could be...I'd kind of describe Lebatard as that version of Bernstein

Basically they try to mock the normal sports radio model, Lebatard kind of hates sports takes and will talk things like race or things outside the box, and his partner Stugotz (which translates to an obscenity in Italian) loves sports hot takes and is just in general shady and sometimes a buffoon. Overall it ends up pretty funny, they have a funny and creative audience and mock a lot of things in sports. They involve the producers and behind the scenes people regularly, they have a good cast of people. Good interviews also. A lot of random interviews which you wouldn't think would be interesting but end up funny and interesting (ie Terry Bradshaw talking about his requried 'penis sock' on set when filming a movie.

Here's a couple sample clips:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCb5Ji6ueQ8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGCsimlsQRc

Dan annoys me pretty often, sometimes he'll be a hypocrite, acts a little too inside (lots of inside jokes, but they're easy to catch up on), and does the racism/political stuff a little too much, but overall the good outweighs the bad and the overall show is usually funny and entertaining. I often wonder how much discussion there is to bring this show to Chicago (it goes up against Carmen/Jurko and Spiegel/Goff, and personally I think it's better than both)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:12 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
i gotta admit that his highly questionable?! show is pretty much the best thing on ESPN "daytime" -- it defintiely didnt hurt that they added bomani jones as a cohost at some point over the last 2-3yrs and i've always liked bomani so that's an easy 30min watch for me.

plus you know his dad's gotta be having a ball doing this bullshit =D

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
The french sheep says

"Le Ba Tard"

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
I'm the one who made the comment about Bomani Jones.

I listen to DLB sometimes if I'm getting into work late, I have XM80. He's a really interesting guy. He intends on annoying you often but in a way that will make you laugh. He's happiest when he's doing a meta-show, pounding on Stugotz for his hot takes, asking callers about their childhoods, shit like that. He likes to go on Pardon the Interruption just to give Kornheiser (with whom he is really friendly) shit for half an hour. It's not really an act, I think if you got him out of the studio and in some diner eating Cuban food he'd be the same way. [Papi would be far more thoughtful and less silly than his media persona.]

ETA: I heard the June 21 show live driving on the Stevenson, I was laughing so hard I almost crashed my car.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
he filled in a lot for tony kornheiser way back in the day. every argument seemed to devolve into a rant about fidel castro.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
I seem to only enjoy him in small doses. He can be really funny when he's on, but the problem is that for every amusing troll attempt he makes, there's one or two that don't click at all. Loved how much he pissed off the baseball writers with his hall of fame vote, and the episode after Lebron signed with Cleveland is still hilarious to me (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyWCeBd_ZCM). Overall though I find Jones a far more enjoyable regular listen.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:43 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
This show is the best out there right now. It really is a comedy show on ESPN Radio (and good for ESPN for actually putting a show like this in the prime midday slot) with sports mixed in. They have a good time. The show also set a record (in terms of the ESPN platform) for most podcast plays over the summer with 5+ million per month.