It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 243 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
DAC wrote:
But you are missing the bigger point in that people should not have to purchase a bundle to get individual channels. You can argue that I am missing a ton of shows and channels but the reality is that I should not be forced to pay for channels I don't want in order to watch what I do want.
Well, you could buy those shows on itunes or on dvd if you wanted. I hate to inform you of this but even Netflix is bundling content together for you. Your sports package will bundle all the games either for your team or the whole league.

DAC wrote:
And you fail to mention that an inexpensive antenna will give you a lot of free television. There will be an easy DVR solution in the future for an antenna to accommodate all the cord cutters.
Using an antenna sucks. There is a reason we got them out. What's next? You going to suggest we just watch VHS tapes?

Analog antennas did suck, but digital antennas are fantastic. The picture quality via a modern antenna will beat the quality of the same station over cable. Furthermore, digital antennas give you access to dozens of digital subchannels, which you won't get via cable, and also don't provide the annoying static that came from the antennas of old.

Seriously, go buy a $25 antenna from Amazon and try it out. It's not the antennas I remember from visiting my grandparents who did not have cable when I was a kid.

As for the bundles of channels via streaming means, they are very accessible. Services like Vue, Sling, DirecTV Now, Youtube's new service, etc. all have the channels you want in one place. They all have a guide similar to what you would find on cable (but with a better interface). If anything, my channel guide on Vue far surpasses whatever I had on Comcast as I can personalize it and more easily find whatever channel or show I am looking for. Comcast is using decade old interfaces whereas Vue is using something fitting of our current era.

If I have multiple streaming services, well then I can access them all on a single device whether that's a PS4 or Fire HD. In all honesty, my current set-up is superior to that I had a year ago when I said goodbye to cable.

Even better, I can cancel any of those services with 2 or 3 clicks. Try that with your cable/satelite subscription.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:05 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Furthermore, digital antennas give you access to dozens of digital subchannels, which you won't get via cable, and also don't provide the annoying static that came from the antennas of old.

Chicago's subchannels are on cable and they're all just reruns of Family Feud and Mr. Belvedere, unless Comcast isn't picking up, like, channel 50.3 and the Lithuanian News Channel or something.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:06 pm 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
DAC wrote:
But you are missing the bigger point in that people should not have to purchase a bundle to get individual channels. You can argue that I am missing a ton of shows and channels but the reality is that I should not be forced to pay for channels I don't want in order to watch what I do want.
Well, you could buy those shows on itunes or on dvd if you wanted. I hate to inform you of this but even Netflix is bundling content together for you. Your sports package will bundle all the games either for your team or the whole league.

DAC wrote:
And you fail to mention that an inexpensive antenna will give you a lot of free television. There will be an easy DVR solution in the future for an antenna to accommodate all the cord cutters.
Using an antenna sucks. There is a reason we got them out. What's next? You going to suggest we just watch VHS tapes?

You're wrong about the antennas. Ogie explained that quite well.

And I don't know if you are playing dumb but there is a major difference between getting a mid grade cable subscription versus Netflix and a league package. Cost is the biggest difference. There are more but you are exhausting to interact with.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:27 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Analog antennas did suck, but digital antennas are fantastic. The picture quality via a modern antenna will beat the quality of the same station over cable. Furthermore, digital antennas give you access to dozens of digital subchannels, which you won't get via cable, and also don't provide the annoying static that came from the antennas of old.

Seriously, go buy a $25 antenna from Amazon and try it out. It's not the antennas I remember from visiting my grandparents who did not have cable when I was a kid.
I have. They suck. I even got one with an extended range. They still sucked. I was not close enough to get reliable signals like I do on cable for all the major networks. I was in suburban areas both times too so it isn't like I was in the middle of nowhere. Also, no easy dvr and no guide. The channels you get are good and free but not interested in going back to the digital version of 1980s tech.

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
As for the bundles of channels via streaming means, they are very accessible. Services like Vue, Sling, DirecTV Now, Youtube's new service, etc. all have the channels you want in one place. They all have a guide similar to what you would find on cable (but with a better interface). If anything, my channel guide on Vue far surpasses whatever I had on Comcast as I can personalize it and more easily find whatever channel or show I am looking for. Comcast is using decade old interfaces whereas Vue is using something fitting of our current era.
But, those days seem to be changing. Eventually, the content providers are going to say "Why are we giving Sony so much of our money?". But, that still has a cost and DAC seems to be arguing that you don't need something like Vue anyways. If you do though, you are already at $40 a month. Add in the sports pack for another $10 a month or go all out and get the premium channels and it is $75 a month with a bad dvr but at least you get a guide. Add in the cost of the internet and we are already at $120 to $130 with the prices sure to raise on these streaming services anyways as the networks are going to play the same games with them.

I've got Uverse now and they want everyone on Directv Now by 2020 which is fine with me. I don't expect to save a ton of money though.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:30 pm 

DAC wrote:
And I don't know if you are playing dumb but there is a major difference between getting a mid grade cable subscription versus Netflix and a league package. Cost is the biggest difference. There are more but you are exhausting to interact with.
What do you mean? You claimed your cable replacement was Netflix + two league packages. That wasn't me. For a large majority of people, who actually watch television, that would be a grossly underwhelming content library. I like Netflix a lot too but I watch as many show on FX as I do the complete Netflix library.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
ESPN suspended Jemele Hill for 2 weeks.

Apparently she used her social media yesterday to call upon fans to boycott advertisers of the Cowboys and Dolphins due to their anthem policies. That was a bad call when their advertisers are also ESPN advertisers...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Parts Unknown
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

Apparently she used her social media yesterday to call upon fans to boycott advertisers of the Cowboys and Dolphins due to their anthem policies. That was a bad call when their advertisers are also ESPN advertisers...

Noice.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

So that's strike 2. Giving her a lot of rope aren't they ?

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Investigating
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

How does one not understand this may be a bad idea? Jemele is currently running second to the Idiot Social Media Poster award behind the CBS attorney who lost her job last week for spouting off about Republican gun toters.

I am sure there are more deserving award winners. These are top on my list so far. Who ya got?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
beni hanna wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

How does one not understand this may be a bad idea? Jemele is currently running second to the Idiot Social Media Poster award behind the CBS attorney who lost her job last week for spouting off about Republican gun toters.

I am sure there are more deserving award winners. These are top on my list so far. Who ya got?

Even Michael Bennett from the Seahawks stood for the anthem on Sunday to show respect for the victims of and the first responders of Vegas shooting.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Kaiser's - Kenosha
beni hanna wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:45 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
They just hired a seemingly solid NHL guy.

http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-relea ... wyshynski/

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:49 am 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
DAC wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
DAC wrote:

DAC wrote:

You're wrong about the antennas. Ogie explained that quite well.

I live in Sycamore, as stated. 60 miles out of Chicago and I pull 2,5,7,9,11,26,32,50 plus all their substations, plus Rockford, plus Wisconsin on a good night. You need to pay for an antenna in the $75 range, but after that you can get by with an antenna and ZTV box or Apple TV, Roku. The Cubs/Hawks/Bulls games are all on NBCSN now.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:12 am 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
I think most people get the indoor digital antenna which are adequate but really don’t have the range if the outdoor or attic systems. People I know with good ones pick up a great range of channels but if you stick to the one that sits on the book shelf you might not pick up stations 30 mikes away.

If I had better internet I’d consider switching to streaming and antenna but streaming two screens right now is pretty much impossible and sports are kind of touchy too.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:49 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
ESPN is laying off about 150 more people.

Most of the affected jobs are in studio production, digital content and technology, ESPN President John Skipper told staff on Wednesday.

"We appreciate their contributions, and will assist them as much as possible in this difficult moment with severance, a 2017 bonus, the continuation of health benefits and outplacement services," Skipper said in a memo posted online by the network.

The cuts amount to about 2% of ESPN's workforce.

This is only the latest round of layoffs for the sports broadcaster. The network is trying to shift its focus to digital programming as growing numbers of viewers unsubscribe from cable. But ESPN is also locked into costly long-term TV deals with sports leagues.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:18 pm 

T-Bone wrote:

Most of the affected jobs are in studio production, digital content and technology, ESPN President John Skipper told staff on Wednesday.

"We appreciate their contributions, and will assist them as much as possible in this difficult moment with severance, a 2017 bonus, the continuation of health benefits and outplacement services," Skipper said in a memo posted online by the network.

This is only the latest round of layoffs for the sports broadcaster. The network is trying to shift its focus to digital programming as growing numbers of viewers unsubscribe from cable. But ESPN is also locked into costly long-term TV deals with sports leagues.

They sure picked a good day to announce this .

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
badrogue17 wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

Who do you think sent the Lauer dick pic to the NBC staffer?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:23 pm 

Big Chicagoan wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

Who do you think sent the Lauer dick pic to the NBC staffer?
I heard it was just his head shot

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:25 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/2 ... 764117002/

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
That’s fucking crazy. He was one of the best parts of the Dan LeBatard show.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:49 am 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
I haven't had ESPN in over a year and I don't miss a thing.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:13 am 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
Adnan was on the DLS last week and it sure sounded like his movies podcast was going to be moved into LeBatards "South Beach Sessions" non-sports podcast brand.

If he got fired for leaking that Baseball Tonight wasn't going back to 7 days a week, that sure smells like ESPN just trying to shed salary. It wasn't exactly news that this wasn't really going to happen and that ESPN was just posturing.

To me the big question is: does he go sports, or does he go film news/criticism?

I hope he likes Tangiers.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:26 am 

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

I have. They suck. I even got one with an extended range. They still sucked. I was not close enough to get reliable signals like I do on cable for all the major networks. I was in suburban areas both times too so it isn't like I was in the middle of nowhere. Also, no easy dvr and no guide. The channels you get are good and free but not interested in going back to the digital version of 1980s tech.

The secret is that a powered antenna is a powered antenna. The old antennas work fine if they are amplified. The problem with the antennas on ground level is that there are still issues with certain channels. The solution is a rooftop antenna and then you run cable wire to the rooms in your house.

I personally think Playstation Vue is the best TV service out there right now. The cost of a handful of basic Rokus is under $200 and Vue lets you tape an unlimited number of shows to the cloud. Obviously the shows expiring at the end of the month and On Demand disabling fast forward is a downer, but most of the TV services limit the number of streams and have plenty of other negatives. You can have 5 Rokus in the same house running view and there is no equipment fee like renting boxes from Comcast. If you have good wifi the TV can be hooked up in any room in the house.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:53 am 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
Really tho, what company secrets could Adnan have been leaking, and to who?

I need answers.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:05 am 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
Drake LaRrieta wrote:
If you have good wifi the TV can be hooked up in any room in the house.
And if it's spotty in one room, you can spend $15 and get a wifi extender to fix it.

I currently use Sling.TV on my Rokus, plus MLB.TV. That is all I need for $450/year, as it gets me
- the local NBC and FOX over-the-air stations for local news
- CNN and Bloomberg for national news. (I use the free Sky feed on my Roku for international news)
- NBCSN, FS1, FS2, and in Chicago CSN Chicago - when I move to NC it will be Fox Sports South
- The standard hotel room tier of timewaster channels from which I weaned myself 4-5 years ago but will still put on one or two nights a month: Food, A&E, USA, etc.

Even with that, I go back and forth on Sling and and have never kept it for 12 consecutive months. It renewed for me last Friday, and I contemplated cancelling it. I only kept it because I have minimal work travel for a five week stretch coming up at the end of February. I'm going to reevaluate at the end of March.

I've reached the point where I don't think i could name 10 different episodic TV shows on the OTA networks, HBO, Netflix, Amazon. I'm not sure I could name 5 that are less than 7-8 years old.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:16 pm 

pizza_Place: pizza and subs
Jbi11s wrote:
Really tho, what company secrets could Adnan have been leaking, and to who?

I need answers.

clay travis?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:18 pm 

Drake LaRrieta wrote:
The secret is that a powered antenna is a powered antenna. The old antennas work fine if they are amplified. The problem with the antennas on ground level is that there are still issues with certain channels. The solution is a rooftop antenna and then you run cable wire to the rooms in your house.
Yeah, the solution is to drill holes on my walls and my roof so I can watch the third alternate channel of some station I don't watch the first one that is probably just reruns of Columbo and Time Life informercials. I'll get right on that.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:34 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Drake LaRrieta wrote:

What is this, John Madden's This Old House?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:39 am 

Bumpity bump. More mass layoffs coming supposedly, starting things off by whacking this idiot.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 243 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next