It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 243 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:40 am 

pizza_Place: Palermos on 63rd
This is a good article detailing ESPN's significant problems. They are losing an average of 10,000 subscribers a day.

http://www.outkickthecoverage.com/espn- ... ent-030617

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:46 am 

ESPN is still great at college sports, 30 for 30, and "authentic" discussion shows. They need to concentrate on those.

They really did get dominated by the Big Ten though. I think people underestimate just how badly they were hurt by not playing nice with them and then the BTN showing up while the Big Ten still took them for huge money.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:49 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
There are only a few things in the universe that I really truly hate, and ESPN is one of them. I know, totally irrational, but it is what it is.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:22 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
hnd wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:
Blaming politics for this is about as dumb as saying the decline in NFL ratings last season was because of guys not standing for the national anthem. Also Clay Travis is a hack and I wouldn't believe any of his numbers (or anything he says in general) for a second, most especially since he's currently stuck in the void known as Fox Sports 1.

clay travis has nothing to do with FS1. He's under the purview of Premiere Radio Networks which is an entirely different entity than the Fox Entertainment Group. He, DP, and Eisen have nothing to do with that channel. Clay is ok. better than any of the other fox morning shows they've had (beside Czaban). Dude has been adding affiliates like no other the past year. def better than mike and mike and mully and hanley.

He does college football for FS1, so yes he is still affiliated with them. And no, he's definitely not better than other milquetoast morning shows since he's actively awful.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:24 am 

Kirkwood wrote:
Quote:
But of course you wouldn't recall it.

Because rather than explain that friendship every athlete was praised to the high heavens for being friends with Obama.

How else to explain the lionization of Colin Kaepernick for taking a knee during the national anthem or the Missouri protesters for their fake protest that has nearly killed the university? How else to explain the continued coverage of each athlete who doesn't visit the White House or the every critical word of the king of triggered millenials, LeBron James? How about the villainization of Peyton Manning for a twenty year old mooning, Ryan Lochte for peeing outside, and Grayson Allen for having the absolute gall to trip someone during a basketball game?

None of his examples make any sense. This guy is looney toons.

ESPN has been covering the more "personal side" of sports for nearly 25 years now. It probably all started during the OJ Simpson circus and it continues today. To blame their current decline on "political" coverage is silly.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's
redskingreg wrote:
Bring back Cold Pizza and the Budweiser Hot Seat.

Who's More Now

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:00 pm 

pizza_Place: pizza and subs
ZephMarshack wrote:
hnd wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:
Blaming politics for this is about as dumb as saying the decline in NFL ratings last season was because of guys not standing for the national anthem. Also Clay Travis is a hack and I wouldn't believe any of his numbers (or anything he says in general) for a second, most especially since he's currently stuck in the void known as Fox Sports 1.

clay travis has nothing to do with FS1. He's under the purview of Premiere Radio Networks which is an entirely different entity than the Fox Entertainment Group. He, DP, and Eisen have nothing to do with that channel. Clay is ok. better than any of the other fox morning shows they've had (beside Czaban). Dude has been adding affiliates like no other the past year. def better than mike and mike and mully and hanley.

He does college football for FS1, so yes he is still affiliated with them. And no, he's definitely not better than other milquetoast morning shows since he's actively awful.

nothing to do was wrong but thats hardly his main gig. he is so much better than any other morning show its not even close. that said, he's still not great. i find my mornings full of listening to local newstalk.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
Douchebag wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:
Quote:
But of course you wouldn't recall it.

Because rather than explain that friendship every athlete was praised to the high heavens for being friends with Obama.

How else to explain the lionization of Colin Kaepernick for taking a knee during the national anthem or the Missouri protesters for their fake protest that has nearly killed the university? How else to explain the continued coverage of each athlete who doesn't visit the White House or the every critical word of the king of triggered millenials, LeBron James? How about the villainization of Peyton Manning for a twenty year old mooning, Ryan Lochte for peeing outside, and Grayson Allen for having the absolute gall to trip someone during a basketball game?

None of his examples make any sense. This guy is looney toons.

ESPN has been covering the more "personal side" of sports for nearly 25 years now. It probably all started during the OJ Simpson circus and it continues today. To blame their current decline on "political" coverage is silly.

You sure it wasn't because of ESPN's liberal agenda villainizing a Duke player who repeatedly trips, kicks and elbows people?

MANY loved Duke and their players before this swerve left!!!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
Douchebag wrote:
To blame their current decline on "political" coverage is silly.

Le Batard had a segment about this today and said the exact same thing.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Pasaro's, St. Joe, MI.
I think it is more of the aging, changing times. We old guys don't like the young, new guys on the network, young folks don't like the old farts. I still choose M/M in the Morning over Mully/Handley, but have no use for the Golic on before M/M. And the kids don't listen to any radio and watch all their highlights on Twitter, etc. IF I had the answer, I'd be rich!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
I think that simplest (and most measurable) explanation is true here: people are cutting cords. I'm one of them. The data from the outkick the coverage article indicates this as well. On a more critical note, as we all know, ESPN purchasing the rights to all these games/leagues or whatever has totally destroyed the wall between their sports broadcasts and sports coverage. It's turned the latter, with few exceptions, into extended commercials for the broadcast side. It's laughable.

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
A lot of things are conspiring to bring ESPN down, but their liberal sportswriter political swerve hasn't done them any favors. There is something condescending and snide about the tone of sportscasters who dip their toes in that pool. This board should be pretty aware of this.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
Minooka Meatball wrote:
Douchebag wrote:

lol you think Le Batard is just going to say "hey you know what? part of this is my fault I've alienated listeners"? Hahaha

For one, they are so trapped in the media bubble that they still (even after the election!) think their political takes represent the national consensus and that it pays off long term pandering to the urban-liberal bourgeois because you'll pull in more listeners than you alienate. This is categorically false but, like any other industry, these people are influenced by praise/scorn from their colleagues. Especially when so much of media is just aggregating stories they get caught in a feedback loop of publicly heaping praise on each other's "emotional, brilliant piece" on whatever is the identity politics topic du jour.

They are also a cable network and who the fuck still has cable? That's the bigger issue, but it doesn't help their forays into different types of media when they actively piss off people by telling them the guy they voted for is literally Hitler and they are literally Nazi's.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
America wrote:
Minooka Meatball wrote:
Douchebag wrote:

lol you think Le Batard is just going to say "hey you know what? part of this is my fault I've alienated listeners"? Hahaha

For one, they are so trapped in the media bubble that they still (even after the election!) think their political takes represent the national consensus and that it pays off long term pandering to the urban-liberal bourgeois because you'll pull in more listeners than you alienate. This is categorically false but, like any other industry, these people are influenced by praise/scorn from their colleagues. Especially when so much of media is just aggregating stories they get caught in a feedback loop of publicly heaping praise on each other's "emotional, brilliant piece" on whatever is the identity politics topic du jour.

They are also a cable network and who the fuck still has cable? That's the bigger issue, but it doesn't help their forays into different types of media when they actively piss off people by telling them the guy they voted for is literally Hitler and they are literally Nazi's.

There is no significant population tuning out of the TV station because Le Batard and Jones are SJWish on the radio. In fact they're pretty damn muzzled from going in that direction across the TV shows they appear on.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Can't speak for everyone, but we are dropping ESPN due to the vulgar nature of its commentary. A couple comments about butter being on a role
( which is a mortal sin) was enough for us.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:05 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
America wrote:
This is categorically false but, like any other industry, these people are influenced by praise/scorn from their colleagues. Especially when so much of media is just aggregating stories they get caught in a feedback loop of publicly heaping praise on each other's "emotional, brilliant piece" on whatever is the identity politics topic du jour.

sooooooooooo, I wrote a thing...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:28 am 

The really smart people at ESPN failed to foresee the cord cutting that is happening now in the US when they ridiculously over paid for the pro and college leagues they bought the rights to. The sports bubble is closer to bursting then ever.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:11 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 6 characters
To be fair, I don't know many broadcasting companies that accurately anticipated the cord-cutting trend. I also think broadcasters leaning more "left-of-center" may alienate some consumers, but neither alone are the sole root cause to ESPN's decline.

The ESPN model has remained the same for as long as I can remember: Sportscenter is the flagship, everything else is an off-shoot of that, including their documentaries. What made Sportscenter so great was a combination of novelty and the development of characters in their rotation of hosts. The current talent on the show are lame and forgettable. Plus, every other sports recap show follows a similar model. It's boring now.

Unfortunately, Barstool Sports is more of the model key demographics pay attention to these days. Big Cat, PFT Commenter, Portnoy and others have massive online followings and absolutely zero restrictions on their content. That's what ESPN, Fox, and others have to compete against.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:20 am 

Live sports are the last line of defense against cord cutters. It's one of the few things people want to watch live. It's just a battle that will be slowly lost. I still have cable specifically because of live sports. The leagues would have gone somewhere else or done their own distribution. Where would ESPN be then?

They are just going to cut costs and make money while things change.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:38 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Live sports are the last line of defense against cord cutters. It's one of the few things people want to watch live. It's just a battle that will be slowly lost. I still have cable specifically because of live sports. The leagues would have gone somewhere else or done their own distribution. Where would ESPN be then?

This is very true, and it is also the last line for advertisers in broadcast tv. Even proprietary programming can be dvr'd and then the commercials skipped. But you made a good point earlier about ESPN having solid programming like 30 for 30. I left that out when I said I only watch ESPN for live sports. Those types of programs are well done, unique, and enjoyable.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:30 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 6 characters
What's crazy is that in the midst of all this trouble, an ESPN documentary just won an Academy Award.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:38 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Ugueth Will Shiv You wrote:
What's crazy is that in the midst of all this trouble, an ESPN documentary just won an Academy Award.

I believe many of their documentaries are done by independent film makers.

Catholics Vs Convicts was for sure.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:22 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

You know what's another fun facet of this? I'm pretty sure that sometimes media/cable networks try to DDoS (direct denial of service, picture a child petulantly throwing a ton of internet bandwidth/data at someone to overload them) streams of various "big" sporting events... Presumably to make ppl think "boy I'd better pay up so this doesn't happen next time!"

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:22 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

You know what's another fun facet of this? I'm pretty sure that sometimes media/cable networks try to DDoS (direct denial of service, picture a child petulantly throwing a ton of internet bandwidth/data at someone to overload them) streams of various "big" sporting events... Presumably to make ppl think "boy I'd better pay up so this doesn't happen next time!"

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
sinicalypse wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

From what I understand, the first "D" in "DDos" stands for "Distributed", the idea being that multiple sources of data make it harder to stop an attack, and also make it harder to find the culprit. There's something else people do now with DNS spoofing or something, they somehow get a DNS server to "send the internet" to a single IP.

Regardless, I highly doubt huge media corporations would be involved in this kind of thing, as the only thing preventing script kiddies from being sued into oblivion for taking down, say, PSN, is a lack of assets to surrender as payment for damages, and even then, they still sometimes go to prison.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
http://www.breitbart.com/sports/2017/03 ... oportions/

by DYLAN GWINN 17 Mar 2017

It’s not often that we’ve had the chance to associate the word “biblical” with ESPN. However, according to the Sporting News, biblical best describes the current freak-out level amongst talent at the sports cable giant.
One week after finding out about massive layoffs, overwhelmingly targeted at the “on-air” side of the network, a source has told the Sporting News, that the impending cuts have set off a “panic of biblical proportions” among ESPN on-air talent.

The last round of layoffs at ESPN probably set off a panic as well, but without the attention this one has received, since the previous round targeted support staff only with over 300 production and behind-the-scenes types getting let go.

This time, however, the layoffs will be televised with many on-air personalities said to be on the chopping block.

A source told the Sporting News, “Everybody’s calling their agent. Nobody is safe.”

According to Sports Illustrated, the layoffs won’t take place all at once. Instead, they’ll stretch out over the course of next four months.

Another source told the Sporting News, “The analysts are responding very differently than the non-athletes. Ex-jocks are used to coming and going. The non-athletes are more panicked.”

ESPN has gone from 100 million subscribers to just 88 million in the last five years. A crushing blow in any era, this massive subscriber loss has occurred while exclusive TV rights fees for sports leagues has grown exponentially. ESPN will pay the NBA $1.4 billion dollars annually for the next seven years, in addition to paying the NFL $1.9 billion per year through 2021.

And that’s for “Monday Night Football,” one game per week.

As noted just last week, while cord-cutting is its own separate issue, ESPN’s ratings have taken a hit as well though not necessarily due to its live sports programming. Instead, the ratings hits have come on “Sportscenter,” and ESPN’s opinion/commentary shows.

The hosts of those opinion shows will be the ones watching for pink slips over the next four months.

Follow Dylan Gwinn on Twitter: @themightygwinn

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:58 pm 

T-Bone wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
They should just get out of the radio business altogether. There can't be any money to be made there, and their product locally and nationally is trash. Stick to TV and online.

The numbers will continue to get worse for them as time progresses. People are running in droves from high cost cable subscriptions and that has been ESPN's bread and butter for years now. The ridiculous bids they made for much of their content is coming back to haunt them, and they really don't have much to brag about besides the NCAA Football championship. Outside of that they get 1 NFL playoff game, maybe a divisional series in MLB, and some NBA playoffs (with ABC taking the bulk of their marquee matchups).

The other thing they hype up a lot is the first couple rounds of the Masters before handing off to CBS for the weekend. No idea what that cost them
but it couldn't have been cheap and viewership has to be very light for those days compared to the 3rd and 4th rounds. I'm glad that they have it,
but I'd be surprised if they make much money off of those time slots.

The Masters actually charges very low rates for those days. CBS/ESPN have a year-to-year deal with Augusta National that neither of them really make money on the TV side.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:39 am 

pizza_Place: Pequods
100 layoffs to be announced today, largely to be on air personalities and writers.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:42 am 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Pierre LeBrun is gone. As if ESPN could ignore hockey more than they already do.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 243 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next