It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:03 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: WFAN
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 2:02 pm 

When things get boring on local sports radio I switch (via Alexa) to WFAN in New York. They take calls and those callers are for the most part,meatballs. They provide plenty of unintentional humor and the hosthave strong personalities. Tiki Barber knows football but little else. Craig Carton is doing Danny Mac and Carton's co host is a man child named Evan Roberts.They are live and local all night and get calls reminiscent of Les's callers and host Sal Licatta is a good one with plenty of overnight energy and opinions. WFAN far from perfect but many times they have a sizzle the Score lacks. All their callers and hosts have an entitled attitude believing every New York team should sign whatever star becomes available because they are New York. There's humor to be found there if you need a break for unintentional sports comedy

Post subject: Re: WFAN
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 2:29 pm 

orioleboy wrote:
When things get boring on local sports radio I switch (via Alexa) to WFAN in New York. They take calls and those callers are for the most part,meatballs. They provide plenty of unintentional humor and the hosthave strong personalities. Tiki Barber knows football but little else. Craig Carton is doing Danny Mac and Carton's co host is a man child named Evan Roberts.They are live and local all night and get calls reminiscent of Les's callers and host Sal Licatta is a good one with plenty of overnight energy and opinions. WFAN far from perfect but many times they have a sizzle the Score lacks. All their callers and hosts have an entitled attitude believing every New York team should sign whatever star becomes available because they are New York. There's humor to be found there if you need a break for unintentional sports comedy

Craig Carton is the walking embodiment of half of what’s wrong with sports media imho. Yet another idiot meatball who can’t entertain. But maybe it’s just his insipid FS1 show.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 2:39 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
You have two WFAN threads on this page

viewtopic.php?f=66&t=126752
viewtopic.php?f=66&t=124339

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:37 pm 

My apologies. I had forgotten my earlier WFAN post. Sorry.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Baraccos
Frank Coztansa wrote:

Get a life.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
Sal Licatta is a regular on Jimmy Traina's SI media podcast and does some post game work on I think SNY. I like him, but not enough to stay awake to listen overnight. But I'd love to see him make mincemeat out of someone like Parkins on air as a guest host.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:45 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Isn't Evan Roberts just Long Island Danny Parkins?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:46 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
whitesoxfanfrank wrote:

Frank's got plenty of life. He just has this weird little quirk. He has a decent record of it working out, especially when he hall monitors Bob.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:31 am 

I've been sampling some Houston for draft talk. The people I have heard have been excellent. Lance Zerlein appears to be an everyday host and he has more knowledge of college, pro and draft then the guys the crutch experts Score hosts use to cover their lack of knowledge.

One problem with the Score is that a guy like Bernstein doesn't watch college football, so when draft time comes around he is left to mocking it with segments like Who's Your Guy, rather than knowing the players. Parkins is probably the one guy who watches a lot of college football at the station but he is doing it through the lens of gambling.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:38 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Colombo's
His co-host is from Chicago. Last year he was in town or listened to a stream of Waddle and Silvy doing draft stuff and it was awful. So they had a joke he would ask Zierlein what stations he was going to do today for draft stuff (he's the NFL.com draft guy) and it would never be Chicago. No Chicago today? No. Why not? They don't call. They don't know who you are? Guess not. We're an ESPN station too seems like it would be easy to get in touch with you. You'd think so. Their draft stuff is terrible. I've heard that.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 11:39 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
good dolphin wrote:
I've been sampling some Houston for draft talk. The people I have heard have been excellent. Lance Zerlein appears to be an everyday host and he has more knowledge of college, pro and draft then the guys the crutch experts Score hosts use to cover their lack of knowledge.

One problem with the Score is that a guy like Bernstein doesn't watch college football, so when draft time comes around he is left to mocking it with segments like Who's Your Guy, rather than knowing the players. Parkins is probably the one guy who watches a lot of college football at the station but he is doing it through the lens of gambling.

Joel Buchsbaum, the old Pro Football Weekly draft maven, was a mainstay on Houston sports radio for years. Odd that he was there and not here.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 2:16 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Curious Hair wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Joel Buchsbaum, the old Pro Football Weekly draft maven, was a mainstay on Houston sports radio for years. Odd that he was there and not here.

I used to have Joel on as often as possible.

He was the best in the business.

Everyone else was further behind him than this.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2023 8:37 am 

loved Buschbaum and Steve Silverman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2023 12:41 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
good dolphin wrote:
loved Buschbaum and Steve Silverman

Steve was good too.

And then he just disappeared