It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:57 pm 

ESPN says if you cant beat them, pay them

https://www.theringer.com/2017/10/4/164 ... -commenter

The hosts of the podcast Pardon My Take, Dan “Big Cat” Katz and PFT Commenter, are developing a late-night show for ESPN, according to sources inside and outside the network. The show is being developed by Embassy Row, the production company behind Men in Blazers and Garbage Time With Katie Nolan. ESPN declined to comment.

The contract for Big Cat and PFT hasn’t been finalized, according to a source. The show would air on ESPN2. Details about what Big Cat and PFT would actually do are sketchy, thanks to what another source familiar with Embassy Row described as an unusually rushed production schedule. But the source said the show would likely hew to Embassy Row’s low-fi model, in which “content producers become on-camera people for not a lot of money.”

If Big Cat and PFT turn up on ESPN, it would be a weird kind of watershed for all parties. When it was launched in March 2016, everything about Pardon My Take, from its title to its artwork, was an arrow aimed straight at the heart of ESPN (if a friendlier critique than the one offered by a lot of others staffers at PMT’s parent, Barstool Sports). ESPN’s legal department thought the parody was so close to its actual debate shows that it sent a letter to Barstool, parts of which PFT Commenter gleefully posted.

“It’s a comedy show that uses sports as a vehicle to get a point across,” PFT once told GQ. “For anyone who’s watched First Take for way too long or woken up to the 7th repeat episode of SportsCenter in the morning, and find yourself being like, ‘What the hell are these takes that these people are saying?’”

In the last year, Pardon My Take got huge. Barstool claims the podcast attracts between 750,000 and 2 million listeners per episode. In developing a late-night show, ESPN is following the well-worn path of cable channels and even the networks, which have hired people with huge online followings (see also: Katie Nolan) and sought not just eyeballs in front of TVs but digital “impressions.”

ESPN is also opening the door of the mothership to the very people who would satirize it, a strategy going back to John Walsh’s hiring of Bill Simmons in 2001. (If you can’t beat ’em, etc.) In the case of Pardon My Take, the satirists have already been judged to be Bristol-friendly, interviewing ESPN personalities on their podcast and occasionally appearing on ESPN themselves.

One unusual element of the late-night show is that it’s being developed by Embassy Row. ESPN typically prefers to produce its shows in-house. For the Barstool personalities—who, according to a source, will remain with the website—that decision was a matter of comfort. Embassy Row has produced The Barstool Rundown specials that aired on Comedy Central during Super Bowl week and The Barstool Tailgate Show that airs on Facebook Watch. “Barstool was like, we like doing things our way and this is the company that’s going to make it for us,” the source said.

Big Cat and PFT have gotten so big that a recent CNBC article wondered whether they would leave Barstool to form their own company. Another question the late-night show raises is whether the Chernin Group, which owns a majority stake in Barstool, wants to focus on building its own, self-contained universe or lend out personalities for projects like this one. In any case, it’s a weird sort of creative merger. ESPN’s legal department once complained that Pardon My Take could fool viewers into thinking the podcast was “sponsored by, officially sanctioned by, or associated with ESPN.” Now, at least in the realm of late-night TV, its hosts might be.

Disclosure: Bill Simmons is the founder of The Ringer.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Stunned Ogie didn't post this.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Didn't they hire Katie Nolan too? Can't wait for her breakdown on the 3 technique .

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Kaiser's - Kenosha
badrogue17 wrote:
Didn't they hire Katie Nolan too? Can't wait for her breakdown on the 3 technique .

Maybe she could personally teach the proper way to grip the ball while Dr. Louise Paine refills the Gatorade bucket and passes out orange slices....

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:15 pm 

Terry's Peeps wrote:

I don't think his tongue has been removed from Big Cat's taint yet this afternoon.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:17 pm 

Terry's Peeps wrote:
A few months ago he argued that ESPN would never be able to get them! :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:19 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:
A few months ago he argued that ESPN would never be able to get them! :lol:

I've never listened to them ( too busy listening to B & G you know ) but if they were or are as hip and "edgy" as people say, signing with ESPN will take that all away and make people who like them bail out .

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:49 am 

pizza_Place: Pequods
I really hope this doesn't happen as the mouse would limit what they can and can't do. Having no real authority to answer to is part of what makes PMT so entertaining. The only way this works is if Barstool still has 100% creative control and ESPN just airs it. If ESPN has any real control, it will certainly fail. I mean Simmons got suspended by them for criticizing Goodell so clearly half of what makes PMT what it is would not fly if ESPN has final approval on what gets said.

If ESPN gives Barstool independence to run it as they see fit and simply airs it, then it will be a hit. If ESPN tries to exert any measure of control, then this will go down in flames.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:48 am 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
I really hope this doesn't happen as the mouse would limit what they can and can't do. Having no real authority to answer to is part of what makes PMT so entertaining. The only way this works is if Barstool still has 100% creative control and ESPN just airs it. If ESPN has any real control, it will certainly fail. I mean Simmons got suspended by them for criticizing Goodell so clearly half of what makes PMT what it is would not fly if ESPN has final approval on what gets said.

If ESPN gives Barstool independence to run it as they see fit and simply airs it, then it will be a hit. If ESPN tries to exert any measure of control, then this will go down in flames.

Given the Mouse's history, do you really think that'll happen?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:54 am 

badrogue17 wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

Given the Mouse's history, do you really think that'll happen?

The deal is not done yet and I have a feeling this is the sticking point. The mouse will have to wake-up and realize that if they want to be relevant in sports, they need to limit their censorship.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:48 am 

Done deal, Barstool Van Talk premieres Tuesday night.

Viva la stool!

The best thing about this is that Barstool appears to have creative control over it so Big Cat, PFT, and Hank can be their lovable/hilarious selves.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:03 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Watched last night. Seemed dumb.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:10 am 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
Terry's Peeps wrote:

Dumb
As old medallions to the thumb

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:05 am 

tommy wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:

Dumb
As old medallions to the thumb

it was basically their podcast on TV. It's comedy 1st and foremost with sports simply as the jumping off point.

I'm honestly surprised a Tommy Lasorda suicide joke made it to air on ESPN.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:14 am 

pizza_Place: Four hours away....and on fire :-(
Barstool Nate murdered Adam Best last night. No clue who either guy is, but it was a legendary WYC

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:31 am 

redskingreg wrote:
Barstool Nate murdered Adam Best last night. No clue who either guy is, but it was a legendary WYC

Adam founded FanSided, which he claimed was a moralistic site and would never stoop to posting smut like Barstool

First Nate dug up the smut posts from FanSided. It turned into a murder when they started digging up tweets from Adam, our progressive male feminist white knight. He had tweets calling rape victims ugly amongst other things.

Adam deleted 17,000 tweets last night, but the screenshots were taken and will live forever. His tweet count literally went from 25.4k to 8,104

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:36 am 

This is definitely not the link to the 1st episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... Ue-FkbaFDc

You have to love Big Cat wearing the #MACtion shirt

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:50 am 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
badrogue17 wrote:
if they were or are as hip and "edgy" as people say, signing with ESPN will take that all away and make people who like them bail out .

I assume that's ESPN's thinking/plan. Image

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:57 am 

Hussra wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:
if they were or are as hip and "edgy" as people say, signing with ESPN will take that all away and make people who like them bail out .

I assume that's ESPN's thinking/plan. Image

I think it's more that Barstool has captured an audience which ESPN covets. ESPN offers them a platform for their work and hopefully gains viewers in the process while Barstool expands their reach onto a new platform that offers more legitimacy. It's a win-win for both sides and the late night time slot allows PMT to be PMT.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:59 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
I think the do-gooders so opposed to Barstool lose sight of the fact that outside of the journalists' high school lunchroom that is Twitter, everybody hates them so fucking much.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:25 pm 

From the ratings I saw, they went 50+% up over their lead in show and then the drop off was 65+% after the show ended so it was clearly a ratings draw, especially for the late hour.

Furthermore, it was the overall #2 program yesterday for ESPN2 in the demo. It wasn't top in the overall numbers, but in the advertiser coveted demo, BVT killed it. The only hour of ESPN2 which performed better was the noon hour.

The average age of a viewer for the show was 30-32, which is one of the youngest audiences that can be found on cable TV. ESPN brought the show on to try to regain what has become a lost generation for them and it is off to a great start.

DVR viewings will be added to the ratings in a few days, but I expect this show will perform strongly there.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:07 am 

pizza_Place: Parts Unknown
redskingreg wrote:

Adam Best got fucking ethered. His twitter apology is still getting lit up with savage GIFs. Good to see that fuckboy humbled.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:21 am 

pizza_Place: Salerno's

88,000 viewers? Holy nobody-is-watching-TV these days. Doesn't even sniff the jock of BYU's mascot dancing to Ayo & Teo's 'Rolex' on youtube.
88K views is like the 1001 ranked random cat video on youtube. And not even a good one.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:42 am 

Hussra wrote:

88,000 viewers? Holy nobody-is-watching-TV these days. Doesn't even sniff the jock of BYU's mascot dancing to Ayo & Teo's 'Rolex' on youtube.
88K views is like the 1001 ranked random cat video on youtube. And not even a good one.

It's not the total viewers that matter, but rather the viewers in the demo which matter. This was the 2nd highest show on ESPN 2 in the all important demo, which just tells you that the average ESPN viewer is older than most would assume.

Also seeing it significantly surpass both the lead-in and lead-out programs (especially in the demo) shows that the majority of the audience tuned in just for BVT.

Per @SportsTVRatings on Twitter, it outperformed the 4 week average for the same slot by +109% in the demo and +111% for the same slot last year.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:36 pm 

In the advertiser important demo, BVT got withing 1,000 viewers of what First Take does.

Erika K Nardini‏Verified account
@EKANardini
Erika K Nardini Retweeted Burke Magnus
In its debut @barstoolvantalk more than doubled 18-34M audience compared to 4 wk avg; compared to year prior +243% only 1k behind FT

----

Once again, the R+3 and R+7 numbers will probably heavily favor this show given the age of the average viewer and the time of airing.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
But advertisers don't care as much about Live Plus Three because you skip commercials when you watch via DVR. And when it relates to sports and sports coverage, advertisers are king.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:16 pm 

IMU wrote:
But advertisers don't care as much about Live Plus Three because you skip commercials when you watch via DVR. And when it relates to sports and sports coverage, advertisers are king.

That would be true, but even then this was the #2 show of the day on the Deuce when it came to the demo (and within 1,000 viewers of being #1). To accomplish that at 1 am EDT is something.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:47 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
IMU wrote:

That would be true, but even then this was the #2 show of the day on the Deuce when it came to the demo (and within 1,000 viewers of being #1). To accomplish that at 1 am EDT is something.

I'm not saying it wasn't a success. It was. But the success can be measured already. At least the success of the debut episode.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Parts Unknown
Pardon my cancellation
https://deadspin.com/espn-cancels-barst ... 1819780358

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:35 pm 

What a shitshow is right!!