It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:08 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Cc: Mitch Rosen

ESPN gathered its front-facing employees Wednesday at its home base in Bristol, Connecticut for a two-hour summit. According to ESPN’s official release on the meeting, the gathering included two primary messages: 1. ESPN is fine. 2. Stick to sports.

Per ESPN, president John Skipper told employees, “At the end of this meeting I want you to be confident about the future of ESPN,” before describing various company strategies, including the maintenance of the network’s rights portfolio and its ESPN+ venture.

VIDEO: Heisman and NFL MVP Winners

Later, Undefeated editor-in-chief Kevin Merida reviewed ESPN’s social media policy, emphasizing that on-air personalities should stay away from non-sports issues. That message comes about six weeks after the network published new social media guidelines limiting who can break news on Twitter and warning against overtly political posts. Per ESPN, here is what Merida, who led the effort to write those guidelines, told the assembled crowd Wednesday:

“ESPN is a journalistic organization – not a political organization. We should do nothing to undermine that position,” he said. “ESPN’s focus is sports. By-and-large we are not experts on politics, healthcare policies, terrorism, commerce – that’s not what we do.

”Our audience is not looking for our opinions on the general news of the day,” he added. “And believe me, I get it. It can sometimes be difficult to control impulses or ignore trolls, but that’s what we’re called to do for each other.”
The stricter ESPN social media policy is presumably a response to the controversy that engulfed the company over the summer after Jemele Hill called Donald Trump a white supremacist on Twitter and the White House called for her firing.

The next part of Wednesday’s program might raise some eyebrows. Per the ESPN release, the company had anchor Sage Steele interview sales and marketing executive Ed Erhardt in what sounds like transparent tangle of editorial and business operations. The fact that someone whose job is to sell advertising addressed a group of reporters and sports analysts certainly lends some extra credence to the longtime claim that ESPN lets its business interests bleed into its content.

Obviously the official ESPN account of the summit wouldn’t reflect any tension or discord, nor would it reveal any message execs might have shared that isn’t for public consumption. But it does give us a sense of the agenda items at the gathering, which was important enough that attendance was mandatory for all front-facing employees, and what ESPN wants to convey to its rank and file at the end of a rough year. Essentially, the takeaway seems to have been that the company is better off if everyone pipes down a little.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:13 am 

It's good to see ESPN going back to its roots. Licking the balls of corporate America.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:23 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
I get why they're doing this but they're going to have to revamp a lot of shows and not ask certain questions. When politics bleeds over into sports you're not being journalists and you're being disrespectful to your audience if you don't cover it and for certain shows offer opinions.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:26 am 

Douchebag wrote:
It's good to see ESPN going back to its roots. Licking the balls of corporate America.

Not every station can take the brave stance of being against child rape

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:27 am 

It's telling that they picked Sage Steele for this exercise. Bootlicker that she is.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:13 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Wasn't the point of Black Sportscenter that they wouldn't just stick to sports? How is that program going to continue, especially with Jemele Hill?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:26 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
We can only hope this is a new corporate thing and the new Score owners will also apply it to their radio stations.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:41 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Yay corporations!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:48 am 

Terry's Peeps wrote:
Yay corporations!

SCOTUS wrote:
Hey! They are people too.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:48 am 

It's amazing how sensitive sports fans are.

I can't handle social issues in sports! Just show me the same Cowboys highlights I've seen 5 times!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:49 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:

I can't handle social issues in sports! Just show me the same Cowboys highlights I've seen 5 times!

You really can't understand this?

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:52 am 

pittmike wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Yes.

MANY of the people who bemoan "snowflakes" can't seem to handle social commentary they don't like.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:59 am 

pittmike wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

I understand why ESPN has to do this.

However, if you can't handle Jemele Hill on twitter saying things you disagree with then you are a safe space needing snowflake who is just as bad as those college kids that need adult coloring books and naps to deal with life.

As Peeps said, it's just amazing to me that the same types of people that rail on millenials for not being able to handle differing opinions go into a rage because their sports world has differing opinions being shared.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:14 am 

Ok well then this is a snowflake thing I guess. I don't even want to hear stuff I agree with. Since my last post I was trying to find another place where politics gets inserted into other things where people might object. Only came up with the award show stuff.

I don't use twitter so that doesn't concern me but I would rather not tune into sportscenter and get a 20 minute segment on a political issue.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:24 am 

pizza_Place: Pequods
pittmike wrote:
Ok well then this is a snowflake thing I guess. I don't even want to hear stuff I agree with. Since my last post I was trying to find another place where politics gets inserted into other things where people might object. Only came up with the award show stuff.

I don't use twitter so that doesn't concern me but I would rather not tune into sportscenter and get a 20 minute segment on a political issue.

This is spot on. It’s not that I can’t handle political talk—in fact, I watch MSNBC and read the Huffington post to see what the “other side” is saying.

But I want my sports to be an escape from that. Switzerland, neutral, fun. I understand that politics can creep into sports, but that doesn’t mean I want a sports anchor’s editorial on it. When I watch the news, I don’t expect, nor want, Mark Giangreco’s thoughts on the tax bill or Roy Moore.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:26 am 

pittmike wrote:

Up next on Sports Center, Bob Ley reviews The Last Jedi then Linda Cohn shares her secrets for baking the best Challah bread for your Hanukkah feast

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:27 am 

pittmike wrote:
What do you mean? It happens in almost everything to do with media. Remember the Dixie Chicks vs. George Bush thing?

pittmike wrote:
I don't watch much sportscenter either but that isn't really what happens. It can have a longer segment if it is sports related(NFL players vs. Trump).

I don't know if this describes you personally, but it does come off as it often, but there are many people who seemingly feel they are victims because they get exposed to liberals talking about stuff they disagree with and they get really upset by it. I'm not sure if it is because Fox News has given them a place where that literally doesn't happen except for sacrificial lambs being brought on to be yelled at by a woman who had a judge tv show. Just think about why you would get upset that politics on Sportscenter and try and figure out why you would be that sensitive. Can you come up with a good reason? Hear the other perspective and ignore it if you want. It's good to hear opposing views.

Last edited by Brick on Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:31 am 

Heisenberg wrote:
pittmike wrote:

This is spot on. It’s not that I can’t handle political talk—in fact, I watch MSNBC and read the Huffington post to see what the “other side” is saying.

But I want my sports to be an escape from that. Switzerland, neutral, fun. I understand that politics can creep into sports, but that doesn’t mean I want a sports anchor’s editorial on it. When I watch the news, I don’t expect, nor want, Mark Giangreco’s thoughts on the tax bill or Roy Moore.
It's only really talked about because of a logical sports connection. Do you really think that ESPN was heavily covering the Roy Moore issue? I highly doubt it.

A lot of this came up from what a few ESPN personalities said on their personal twitter accounts. It had nothing to do with the show they were on, though Trump obviously will get mentioned on sports shows when he is calling out NFL players and doing the stupid "I uninvited you to the White House!" stuff.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:35 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
pittmike wrote:
What do you mean? It happens in almost everything to do with media. Remember the Dixie Chicks vs. George Bush thing?

pittmike wrote:
I don't watch much sportscenter either but that isn't really what happens. It can have a longer segment if it is sports related(NFL players vs. Trump.

I don't know if this describes you personally, but it does come off as it often, but there are many people who seemingly feel they are victims because they get exposed to liberals talking about stuff they disagree with and they get really upset by it. I'm not sure if it is because Fox News has given them a place where that literally doesn't happen except for sacrificial lambs being brought on to be yelled at by a woman who had a judge tv show. Just think about why you would get upset that politics on Sportscenter and try and figure out why you would be that sensitive. Can you come up with a good reason? Hear the other perspective and ignore it if you want. It's good to hear opposing views.

I bolded the only part of my post you need to know really. The rest of your post going on about Fox News (which I do not watch) or anything else is pointless. Yes, the story of the NFL Trump is perfectly appropriate for ESPN. As was the Penn State story. That said it probably was overly dragged out especially show on local radio as we know. Without a direct correlation like that I don't need it or want it.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:45 am 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
Honestly ESPN is probably better off talking as much politics as possible. They've alienated everyone other than their liberal bubble already, why stop now? Its too late to reverse course for them.

I vowed to never consume another minute of their programming, aside from broadcasts I could not get anywhere else, because of their continued anti-White Sox bias.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:48 am 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
America wrote:
Honestly ESPN is probably better off talking as much politics as possible. They've alienated everyone other than their liberal bubble already, why stop now? Its too late to reverse course for them.

I vowed to never consume another minute of their programming, aside from broadcasts I could not get anywhere else, because of their continued anti-White Sox bias.

you can't be "anti" something if you don't even know they exist.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:56 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Heisenberg wrote:
pittmike wrote:

It's only really talked about because of a logical sports connection. Do you really think that ESPN was heavily covering the Roy Moore issue? I highly doubt it.

A lot of this came up from what a few ESPN personalities said on their personal twitter accounts. It had nothing to do with the show they were on, though Trump obviously will get mentioned on sports shows when he is calling out NFL players and doing the stupid "I uninvited you to the White House!" stuff.

I don’t know what ESPN reported, because if it’s not a live broadcast, I no longer watch ESPN. I think there is a distinction between reporting on a political sports issue (e.g., NFL players kneeling), and editorializing by the anchors.

IMO, Sportscenter is a sports newscast, and should stick to sports. A show like PTI, however, is a opinion show and I think they can talk about whatever they want. The problem with ESPN is they blurred the lines so much, there is no longer a distinction between reporting and editorials.

Back in the old days, the 10 PM news would call out when an anchor was giving an opinion—they called them “editorials,” or in Walter Jacobson’s case, “Walters’s Perspective.”

The loss of this distinction is important, especially in ESPN’s case, when only one side is acceptable to preach.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:07 am 

Heisenberg wrote:
I don’t know what ESPN reported, because if it’s not a live broadcast, I no longer watch ESPN. I think there is a distinction between reporting on a political sports issue (e.g., NFL players kneeling), and editorializing by the anchors.

IMO, Sportscenter is a sports newscast, and should stick to sports. A show like PTI, however, is a opinion show and I think they can talk about whatever they want. The problem with ESPN is they blurred the lines so much, there is no longer a distinction between reporting and editorials.

Back in the old days, the 10 PM news would call out when an anchor was giving an opinion—they called them “editorials,” or in Walter Jacobson’s case, “Walters’s Perspective.”

The loss of this distinction is important, especially in ESPN’s case, when only one side is acceptable to preach.
Guy who refuses to consume the product no matter what they do is complaining about what he guesses the content is of the product. Is this the B&B section?

Even the news doesn't simply report the news now. It's a great idea that just doesn't exist any more. As I said, my Sportscenter viewing is limited but when I have watched it was mostly sports highlights, followed by off the field sports stuff including our President with things involving sports, and then opinions most of which are "SHOULD AARON RODGERS RETURN OR SIT?".

Now, you are correct that they've created a few special Sportscenters built around hosts, and those have more opinions, but that's kind of the point of those shows. There are many other Sportscenters you could watch that aren't built as shows like that.

The ultimate point is that it comes off as being quite sensitive if you can't deal with the fact that people on tv sometimes share opinions on political topics that have to do with sports but not necessarily on the field.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:12 am 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Hear the other perspective and ignore it if you want. It's good to hear opposing views.

It's good to hear well-reasoned opposing views.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:14 am 

pizza_Place: A few...
tommy wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Hear the other perspective and ignore it if you want. It's good to hear opposing views.

I'd say that ship has sailed.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:15 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Heisenberg wrote:

Guy who refuses to consume the product no matter what they do is complaining about what he guesses the content is of the product. Is this the B&B section?

Even the news doesn't simply report the news now. It's a great idea that just doesn't exist any more. As I said, my Sportscenter viewing is limited but when I have watched it was mostly sports highlights, followed by off the field sports stuff including our President with things involving sports, and then opinions most of which are "SHOULD AARON RODGERS RETURN OR SIT?".

Now, you are correct that they've created a few special Sportscenters built around hosts, and those have more opinions, but that's kind of the point of those shows. There are many other Sportscenters you could watch that aren't built as shows like that.

The ultimate point is that it comes off as being quite sensitive if you can't deal with the fact that people on tv sometimes share opinions on political topics that have to do with sports but not necessarily on the field.

I don’t watch sportscenter, but I do read this board and other sources. In all honesty, I did not know who Jamelle Hill was until I saw her thread on here.

I’m really not sensitive. As stated, I watch MSNBC and read the HuffPost to get a different perspective. Like MANY, sports is my escape from reality. I’d rather not have that other political crap creep in, but some at ESPN want to drive politics it into sports.

And, it’s just obviously one-sided. While roughly half the country voted for Trump, name an ESPN anchor that is pro-Trump. I’m guessing there isn’t one, but I could be wrong.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:16 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:16 am 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
Peoria Matt wrote:
tommy wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

I'd say that ship has sailed.

Matt, from ESPN or just our culture at large?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:17 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
It's simply not reasonable for people to ask for politics to be quarantined from their sports coverage. Politics runs through every part of our lives now. Do you really think it should be constrained to cable infotainment channels? What a life of luxury to think you can exist this way.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:22 am 

Politics are sports now.

It only makes sense to combine coverage of the 2.