It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:22 am 

Heisenberg wrote:
I don’t watch sportscenter, but I do read this board and other sources. In all honesty, I did not know who Jamelle Hill was until I saw her thread on here.

I’m really not sensitive. As stated, I watch MSNBC and read the HuffPost to get a different perspective. Like MANY, sports is my escape from reality. I’d rather not have that other political crap creep in, but some at ESPN want to drive politics it into sports.
Well ok, watch Sportscenter a few times then. I think you'll be surprised. Maybe avoid the 6 o'clock hour but that's designed to be more of an opinion show.

Heisenberg wrote:
And, it’s just obviously one-sided. While roughly half the country voted for Trump, name an ESPN anchor that is pro-Trump. I’m guessing there isn’t one, but I could be wrong.
I'm not sure I can name a poster on here who is proudly pro-Trump either. There are many Republicans at ESPN though like in any media outside of Fox News, there are probably more Democrats there.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:23 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Curious Hair wrote:
It's simply not reasonable for people to ask for politics to be quarantined from their sports coverage. Politics runs through every part of our lives now. Do you really think it should be constrained to cable infotainment channels? What a life of luxury to think you can exist this way.

Then what is the point of the ESPN memo above and why?

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:24 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
It's simply not reasonable for people to ask for politics to be quarantined from their sports coverage. Politics runs through every part of our lives now. Do you really think it should be constrained to cable infotainment channels? What a life of luxury to think you can exist this way.

Yes, and just to make it clear, it would be wrong if they were covering the Moore stuff for no reason. However, when Trump calls for owners to fire players who don't stand for the anthem then sports shows should talk about it because it is a sports story. While not an exact parallel, it's like saying sports shows should have ignored the OJ trial and concentrated on the play on the field. It was a sports story.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:26 am 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Terry's Peeps wrote:
Politics are sports now.

It only makes sense to combine coverage of the 2.

I don’t know that’s true. Watch Comcast sports, and they just cover the games.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:29 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

Yes, and just to make it clear, it would be wrong if they were covering the Moore stuff for no reason. However, when Trump calls for owners to fire players who don't stand for the anthem then sports shows should talk about it because it is a sports story. While not an exact parallel, it's like saying sports shows should have ignored the OJ trial and concentrated on the play on the field. It was a sports story.

The OJ thing is a good thing you brought up. It is so long ago I do not really remember how ESPN did it. Everyone else obviously was wall to wall. If it were today though I would prefer if ESPN, after the initial shock, did OJ stories about how his athletic life was tarnished, what would the HOF and Heisman people do and generally sports angled takes. With all the major cable news going wall to wall I would not want ESPN talking about Mark Furmann forever.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:30 am 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
Pro athletes and broadcasters/sports personalities/whatever they are called are usually piss-poor at arguing. What they're good at is sharing their ideas, not discussing them. To borrow a phrase from that sumbitch CH, they're not here to discuss or expand their knowledge. even Don Lemon does that!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:32 am 

Terry's Peeps wrote:
Politics are sports now.

I don't think that is true really. I think there is a modern thirst for broadcasters to make news. People are not sitting at home wondering what Mike Trout or someone thinks about the latest political story. Yet some reporter will put a mic in his face and force him to comment.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:32 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

I think one problem is that many ESPN personalities have already made their minds up and then, Bernstein-like, judge everyone who disagrees or doesn't give a fuck as ____-ist.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:33 am 

pittmike wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:
Politics are sports now.

I don't think that is true really. I think there is a modern thirst for broadcasters to make news. People are not sitting at home wondering what Mike Trout or someone thinks about the latest political story. Yet some reporter will put a mic in his face and force him to comment.

Roger Maris might agree with you.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:34 am 

pittmike wrote:
People are not sitting at home wondering what Mike Trout or someone thinks about the latest political story. Yet some reporter will put a mic in his face and force him to comment.

Force him to comment?

What planet do you live on?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:39 am 

Douchebag wrote:
pittmike wrote:
People are not sitting at home wondering what Mike Trout or someone thinks about the latest political story. Yet some reporter will put a mic in his face and force him to comment.

Force him to comment?

What planet do you live on?

You never heard the term the people need to know? Your favorite afternoon broadcaster uses it a lot when teams and players don't wish to talk.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:41 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
pittmike wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:
Politics are sports now.

It's absolutely true.

There are 2 teams that are constantly competing. Fans of both teams are rabid and want to see their team win.

News covers the games with scoreboards and makes certain channels favor certain teams and provide spin for the "good guys".

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:49 am 

pizza_Place: Parts Unknown
What happens to the most woke show on the network, the six

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:59 am 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
ToxicMasculinity wrote:

This sets the stage for cancelling it. Political statements that hurt the brand or not, nobody is watching it.

Quote:
For Sep. 12-15, 2017, “SC6” averaged 448,000 viewers. It fell 34 percent from its 5:30 p.m. lead-in, “Pardon the Interruption” (PTI) that averaged 676,000 viewers over the same period.

For the seven dates that the 6 p.m. “SportsCenter” followed “PTI” on the ESPN flagship network pre-controversy — for Aug. 21-25 and Sep. 5-6 — the 6 p.m. “SportsCenter” averaged 454,000 viewers while “PTI” averaged 693,000 viewers. The 6 p.m. “SportsCenter” earned roughly the same retention from “PTI” on ESPN for the two weeks prior to Sep. 11 (65 percent retention) as for the week that involved the controversy (66 percent retention).

Compared to the same week in the same time slots one year ago (Sep. 13-16, 2016), “PTI” was down 17 percent (676,000 viewers vs. 816,000 viewers) while “SC6” fell 20 percent (448,000 viewers vs. 562,000 viewers); Michael Smith no Jemele Hill were not hosts of last year’s 6 p.m. “SportsCenter”.

The 6 p.m. “SportsCenter” retention from “PTI” for Sep. 13-16, 2016 was 69 percent. Going by the year-to-year compatible editions of pre-controversy 6 p.m. “SportsCenter”, it was down 10 percent (408,000 viewers for Aug. 24-25, 2017 vs. 451,000 viewers for Aug. 25-26, 2016),

When PTI is kicking your ass, at 5PM on weekdays no less, it's time to re-tool.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:04 pm 

ToxicMasculinity wrote:

Whatever it gets, Will Cain and Sage Steele should get at the same time