It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1056 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36  Next
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2023 7:13 am 

Something seems off about that. I don't want to say it is staged but what could possibly be hurting small businesses(you know, a thing barstool constantly brags about) by doing a video about eating one bite of pizza and reviewing it? Free advertising for the business and I doubt that anyone is taking him as some undeniable truth about the food.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2023 7:49 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Brick wrote:
I don't want to say it is staged but what could possibly be hurting small businesses by doing a video about eating one bite of pizza and reviewing it?

Uh, standing in front of a restaurant and telling your Internet mob that their product sucks?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2023 7:59 am 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Brick wrote:
I don't want to say it is staged but what could possibly be hurting small businesses by doing a video about eating one bite of pizza and reviewing it?

Uh, standing in front of a restaurant and telling your Internet mob that their product sucks?

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2023 7:59 am 

I've only seen a few of them but does he really do that? Even this one he was making excuses why he didn't like it and he even said it was the lowest review he has given in a long time.

Are you saying the owner was right though? Is Portnoy hurting small businesses doing this?

It's just such an unforced error to go to the "hurting small businesses" when they literally use their support of small businesses any time Portnoy accidentally sneezes on film as a way to deflect criticism.

Let me put it another way. If you were a local pizza place in Chicago, would you want Portnoy to show up and eat one bite and create a video for it? I would think even if he didn't like it you would see an increase in business.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:03 am 

It seemed like pizza guy came out firing without knowing what Portnoy actually said about his pizza.

I skipped around a bit because I can’t stand watching Portnoy chew with his mouth open like a disgusting slob, but I didn’t see the pizza guy until he started yelling at Portnoy about a NYT article, which probably tells you the guy was coming from somewhere other than concern for small business owners.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:05 am 
Site Admin

I think the owner was dumb because it was obvious that Portnoy's mob, most of whom never have and never will eat at the place, were going to hit Yelp with a vengeance to "defend" their daddy. I bet Ogie has already posted about ten bad reviews of the place.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:10 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
I think the owner was dumb because it was obvious that Portnoy's mob, most of whom never have and never will eat at the place, were going to hit Yelp with a vengeance to "defend" their daddy. I bet Ogie has already posted about ten bad reviews of the place.

My one star review was strictly due to the excessive use of parm.

Had nothing to do with portnoy or the fact I have no intention of ever going to Somerville, MA.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2023 11:39 am 
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2023 12:21 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

80 percent this was staged now.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2023 7:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Geo's Pizza
From now on you can refer to me as Hoff of the Year

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2023 8:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

That pizza looked gross

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 2:41 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
Tucker interviews Dave

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuexB9UWCds

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 6:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Brick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

80 percent this was staged now.

Agreed, it makes zero sense. One can hate Dave for his attitude schtick, gambling, etc., but small businesses? That is his strength.

Made no sense literally at all.

Also a little surprised not more talk about Barstool on this forum. Basically all relocating to Chicago is the biggest impact on CHicago entertainment since Oprah.
ALmost all national media is in NYC and LA, Chicago is not the HQ and gonna have some big guests in town, etc.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2023 4:39 pm 

Ive never heard barstool but i do like the drama on social media that it's going thru after Dave Portnoy rebought the company for a dollar and fired everyone.

full :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GyyYJECReA&t

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2023 4:39 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 10:20 am 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
HawaiiYou wrote:

youre about two weeks behind on this one. not years, though. keep up the good work.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 10:53 am 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Dunno if it's post-pandemic people no longer stuck at home + limited resumption of workers commuting into an office, but the podcasting bubble appears to be deflating. Barstool got shit out of Penn, Cousin Sal's attempt to create his own podcast network collapsed and he's back at Ringer--Ringer itself likely headed for a fate similar to Barstool's--spotify hemorrhaging $$$'s on its podcasting acquisitions. It's one thing to set up some server farms to serve mp3's that require limited investment in human capital; it's a different ball of fuck to try to have a bunch of flaky podcasters to manage and rely on to generate content and maintain audiences. Advertisers shifting budgets away from questionable return podcast platforms to tiktok/yt/yt-shorts.

Ringer seems to recognize this and is trying to pivot to video content--creating "tv shows" on like fanduel network or something. But Simmons has never worked on TV and Cousin Sal's best when he's one of many/a sidekick. That new fanduel show he hosts himself with a different guest every show is freaking nails on chalkboard painful to watch.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 11:18 am 

Hussra wrote:
Dunno if it's post-pandemic people no longer stuck at home + limited resumption of workers commuting into an office, but the podcasting bubble appears to be deflating. Barstool got shit out of Penn, Cousin Sal's attempt to create his own podcast network collapsed and he's back at Ringer--Ringer itself likely headed for a fate similar to Barstool's--spotify hemorrhaging $$$'s on its podcasting acquisitions. It's one thing to set up some server farms to serve mp3's that require limited investment in human capital; it's a different ball of fuck to try to have a bunch of flaky podcasters to manage and rely on to generate content and maintain audiences. Advertisers shifting budgets away from questionable return podcast platforms to tiktok/yt/yt-shorts.

Ringer seems to recognize this and is trying to pivot to video content--creating "tv shows" on like fanduel network or something. But Simmons has never worked on TV and Cousin Sal's best when he's one of many/a sidekick. That new fanduel show he hosts himself with a different guest every show is freaking nails on chalkboard painful to watch.

and then, at least for sports, all the podcasters interview other podcasters as experts.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 11:24 am 

SuperNintendoHjalmarsson wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:

youre about two weeks behind on this one. not years, though. keep up the good work.

wait, they fired Barstool Carl from Red Line

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 11:40 am 

pizza_Place: pizza and subs
Hussra wrote:

It makes a ton of sense that this would be the case. i listened to so many freaking podcasts 20-21. it began to dwindle, and now i only really do when i'm mowing the lawn.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 12:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Barnaby's
Podcasts are a more than twenty year old concept. If they really were "the future" they would've killed radio all the way back then. What really enabled their rise was the decision by automakers to start pulling radios from cars to save a few bucks on manufacture (they claimed it interfered with EV infrastructure, which is just lmao). But the truth is podcasts lack basically all panache so even now, with no competition, people are sick of listening to them.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 7:27 am 

Bend wrote:
Podcasts are a more than twenty year old concept. If they really were "the future" they would've killed radio all the way back then. What really enabled their rise was the decision by automakers to start pulling radios from cars to save a few bucks on manufacture (they claimed it interfered with EV infrastructure, which is just lmao). But the truth is podcasts lack basically all panache so even now, with no competition, people are sick of listening to them.

There are some that do a great job and make big money. There are others that do a great job but are so niche that they are podcast equivalent of Mitch Rosenberg. The overwhelming majority are jamokes like us speaking their thoughts to next to no one.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 9:33 am 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
I have 48 podcasts in my subscription list in the Pocket Casts app. But 30+ of those are very specialty stuff where I may listen to one podcast every two months, or line up two back to back to listen to on a flight.

The only podcasts I listen to regularly are Tony Kornheiser (3x/wk), Jimmy Traina of SI most weeks, Mac during NFL season, and now Craig Ferguson's weekly podcast. I like Talking Baseball with Chris Rose but I listen to enough XM89 most weekdays that it's overkill to then listen to them at night when they are talking about the same stories. And there's a London morning talk radio program whose podcast I listen to the first hour maybe once every other week.

The key is that these are all broadcasting professionals, except for Traina but half of his guests are national PBP or analysts.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2023 9:36 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
good dolphin wrote:
Bend wrote:

There are some that do a great job and make big money. There are others that do a great job but are so niche that they are podcast equivalent of Mitch Rosenberg. The overwhelming majority are jamokes like us speaking their thoughts to next to no one.

True. There are virtually no barriers of entry to starting a podcast. However, compare the percentage of your listening time you devoted to ota radio 10 years ago to that percentage now. Thanks to podcasts and Spotify, for me, that percentage is probably at least 50 points lower. Podcasts and streaming may not have killed ota radio, but they've done it significant and lasting damage.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2023 9:48 am 
Site Admin

Warren Newson wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Bend wrote:

True. There are virtually no barriers of entry to starting a podcast. However, compare the percentage of your listening time you devoted to ota radio 10 years ago to that percentage now. Thanks to podcasts and Spotify, for me, that percentage is probably at least 50 points lower. Podcasts and streaming may not have killed ota radio, but they've done it significant and lasting damage.

Right. I now don't have to sit through hours of stupid football crap to hear baseball talk.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2023 9:50 am 

pizza_Place: What??
Warren Newson wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Bend wrote:

I'm curious to know the amount of people listening to the Score in say, 1998, and today. 5x the audience? 10x?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2023 9:52 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Bend wrote:

Right. I now don't have to sit through hours of stupid football crap to hear baseball talk.

Agreed. The amount of football talk this time of the year is insane. The Bears are the most popular team in town, and that's fine. However, not enough happens in a three hour game to sustain a week's worth of talk.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:04 am 

Warren Newson wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Bend wrote:

I have to say, if the Score presented better programming, I'd listen more often to the station. You know your hosts aren't getting it done when I'm flipping to Relevant Radio or Prgoressive Talk over the Score during football season.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:06 am 

Warren Newson wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Bend wrote:

Agreed. The amount of football talk this time of the year is insane. The Bears are the most popular team in town, and that's fine. However, not enough happens in a three hour game to sustain a week's worth of talk.

The Score has always had huge holes in its coverage for an all sports station in the country's third biggest market. We don't even get good college football talk. Parkins is the only one who seems to watch the sport and he only analyzes from a betting perspective.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 1:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
https://youtu.be/p5AQFgSRUAY?si=rfgahV2bOzRSdw_M

Pretty cool.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1056 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36  Next