It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:39 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
IMU wrote:
Remove Greeny and Jalen, put in Katie Nolan and Jen Lada. Ratings.

I’d hit that....errr watch that .

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
ESPN has both under contract and is wasting them.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:40 pm 

IMU wrote:
ESPN has both under contract and is wasting them.

Indisputable.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:33 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Tad Queasy wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
The real story of Get Up is that ESPN consistently overinvests in Mike Greenberg.

I agree. He's a relatively polished and professional on-air personality but he has zero personality or charisma. The success of Mike and Mike was based on the nerd/jock thing but neither Greenberg nor Golic have the skill or personality to carry a show on their own. They played well enough off each other for their show until they apparently got sick of each other.

What's strange is that Bristol's m.o. for years has been to pay its talent well under market value for the privilege of working there and then cut them down when they start feelin' themselves a little too much and try to put their personal brand above the ESPN brand. The big exceptions over the years were always Chris Berman and Bob Ley, but both got in on the ground floor, and they've usually deployed Ley as almost an on-screen ombudsman who can lend gravitas to what's otherwise a silly propaganda outfit. But Olbermann, Kilborn, Eisen, Michelle Beadle, anyone who tried to make themselves stand out above the crowd would have it made clear that they were replaceable and lowballed out the door.

But then you have Mike Greenberg, who has never stood out, is completely replaceable, and keeps getting trucks of money and opportunities hurled at him. You could drive an empty bus up to Syracuse on graduation day and come back with a bus full of Mike Greenbergs. Give anyone an ESPN-branded radio show that the affiliates aren't allowed to drop and they'll do about as well. Maybe they wouldn't write books called, like, Liking Sports: Football, Friends, And Why I Get Yelled At By My Wife that get remaindered and sidewalk-saled by the metric ton, but on the radio side you wouldn't miss a beat. But despite an organizational philosophy of treating employees like shit, some executives at Disney are like "GOD DAMN IT AMERICA NEEDS SO MUCH MORE MIKE GREENBERG!"

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:09 pm 

Happened to have the office tv on all afternoon. No matter how bad Get Up! is, ESPN's afternoon programming is worse right now. Will Cain and Stephen A Smith's radio simulcasts, the buffonish baseball show with Kevin Millar they took from the MLB Network. It really can't get much worse, and I'm trying hard to find alternatives to news and political opinion shows.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:42 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Tad Queasy wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
The real story of Get Up is that ESPN consistently overinvests in Mike Greenberg.

I agree. He's a relatively polished and professional on-air personality but he has zero personality or charisma. The success of Mike and Mike was based on the nerd/jock thing but neither Greenberg nor Golic have the skill or personality to carry a show on their own. They played well enough off each other for their show until they apparently got sick of each other.

What's strange is that Bristol's m.o. for years has been to pay its talent well under market value for the privilege of working there and then cut them down when they start feelin' themselves a little too much and try to put their personal brand above the ESPN brand. The big exceptions over the years were always Chris Berman and Bob Ley, but both got in on the ground floor, and they've usually deployed Ley as almost an on-screen ombudsman who can lend gravitas to what's otherwise a silly propaganda outfit. But Olbermann, Kilborn, Eisen, Michelle Beadle, anyone who tried to make themselves stand out above the crowd would have it made clear that they were replaceable and lowballed out the door.

But then you have Mike Greenberg, who has never stood out, is completely replaceable, and keeps getting trucks of money and opportunities hurled at him. You could drive an empty bus up to Syracuse on graduation day and come back with a bus full of Mike Greenbergs. Give anyone an ESPN-branded radio show that the affiliates aren't allowed to drop and they'll do about as well. Maybe they wouldn't write books called, like, Liking Sports: Football, Friends, And Why I Get Yelled At By My Wife that get remaindered and sidewalk-saled by the metric ton, but on the radio side you wouldn't miss a beat. But despite an organizational philosophy of treating employees like shit, some executives at Disney are like "GOD DAMN IT AMERICA NEEDS SO MUCH MORE MIKE GREENBERG!"

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I been saying that for years!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:30 am 

pizza_Place: Geo's Pizza
With my schedule changing I finally had time to watch this in the morning. Who actually watches this to gain any sports insight at all? I swear its the same script every day. Who is asking for a daily update on Dak Prescott's contract?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:38 am 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
It’s ridiculous.

Lebron, Cowboys, Patriots every day.

Same with First Take.

LeBatard Show is the only program worth watching on any of the ESPN networks IMO.

And for some reason I’ve been able to tolerate the Will Cain Show in small doses during the afternoon.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
I feel like tonight's SportsCenter special is exactly the kind of thing Greeny's always wanted.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:21 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
Ron Wolfley wrote:
I feel like tonight's SportsCenter special is exactly the kind of thing Greeny's always wanted.

What sports are returning? Driving a car and taking a left? Hitting a ball full of dimples off a tiny wooden stick followed by a casual walk with a guy carrying your luggage?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:49 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
Regular Reader wrote:
Happened to have the office tv on all afternoon. No matter how bad Get Up! is, ESPN's afternoon programming is worse right now. Will Cain and Stephen A Smith's radio simulcasts, the buffonish baseball show with Kevin Millar they took from the MLB Network. It really can't get much worse, and I'm trying hard to find alternatives to news and political opinion shows.

Will Cain is the worst.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Geo's Pizza
Today's show included:

At least three segments on Dak Prescott
Hasselbeck implying that Wentz may be the best QB in the division that includes Watson.