It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 241 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
NY Post

The baseball analogy works for what is happening between ESPN and “The Dan Le Batard Show.” First, a star right fielder is dropped in the order. Next, he platoons. Then he doesn’t start.

The final act is he is no longer on the team.

It couldn’t be any clearer that Le Batard and ESPN are headed for a breakup.

They should just start the early buyout talk now, because it is hard to believe they are not destined for a separation. It just depends if it will be sooner or later.

He doesn’t seem to like them much. They don’t seem to like him much. Le Batard and crew might as well move on to Spotify or SiriusXM or their own thing instead of both sides wasting each other’s time.

On Wednesday, Le Batard announced a very nice thing. Among the 300 people laid off last week by ESPN was one of his producers, Chris Cote. Le Batard said he was “blindsided” by the move and it was the “greatest disrespect of my professional career.” Le Batard is taking on Cote’s salary as his personal assistant with a raise, filling a position recently vacated.

Le Batard, who makes around $3 million and has indicated he has less than two years remaining on his contract, said that he was “wounded” by the move. His group, as he said on Wednesday, is a family.

ESPN had already moved Le Batard’s TV show to an earlier, less desirable time during the day. They cut the national radio program by an hour. It moved the show to ESPN+. Le Batard and company missed Monday’s show as they dealt with the Cote news.

The program’s lead producer, Mike Ryan, said Wednesday the show is “shrinking.” Le Batard, who understands the game very well, said ESPN was trying to shrink them, but they are growing. As long as Le Batard stays on the network, he can act like he is the little guy fighting the big corporation that will endear him to many.

ESPN executives from Jimmy Pitaro on down, dealing with bigger issues these days, will have to figure out how long they want to take it.

Le Batard said he wished ESPN had discussed the Cote decision with him. But after they move you down in the order, after they platoon you, when the bench and off the team are the next stops, they don’t consult with you anymore.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:34 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
No way Dan is quitting.

Him reading NFL scores today from last week was a nice middle finger.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:50 pm 

Peoria Matt wrote:
No way Dan is quitting.

Him reading NFL scores today from last week was a nice middle finger.

Yeah he's being smart. He'll force them to fire him and pay out the 2 years he has left @3mill per.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:05 am 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
Video feed isn’t their today on espn+.

Only audio.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's

He gone.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:18 pm 

Damn

Can’t say it’s surprising.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:27 pm 

Btw the David Samson local hour podcast was pretty good again this week.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:36 pm 

pizza_Place: DATYYy
His Manfred interview is tremendous

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:38 pm 

Haven’t found any confirmation on this yet...

Show off espn January 4th according to this screenshot.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:42 pm 

Prolly not real since tomorrow is Friday December 4th.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:49 pm 

He gone . That Bart Scott / Alan Hahn show sounds like a juggernaut in waiting .

UPDATE: ESPN and Le Batard officially announced that Le Batard is exiting the company in January, sending the following quotes:

“It was mutually agreed that it was best for both sides to move on to new opportunities and we worked together closely to make that possible,” said Norby Williamson, ESPN executive vice president and executive editor. “We thank Dan for his many years and contributions to ESPN and wish him all the best going forward.”

Le Batard said, “Gracias to ESPN for unleashing Papi and Stugotz upon an unsuspecting America, and for lending its substantive credibility to our careening clown car. Can’t believe Stugotz finally achieved his dream of becoming a high-priced free agent. I’m forever indebted to Erik Rydholm, Matt Kelliher and their vibrant team for providing a creative oasis across a decade, and for expanding the Le Batard family to include so many brilliant colleagues who have become forever friends, bonded eternally by laughter and love. Want to also extend my gratitude to Chuck Salituro, Jimmy Pitaro, Traug Keller, Marcia Keegan, Connor Schell, Juan Diaz, Mike Foss, Amanda Gifford, Liam Chapman, Megan Judge, Elizabeth Fierman, the Hialeah-soaked crew at Imagina …and when did this become a droning acceptance speech instead of a quick goodbye? In short, thank you, Disney and ESPN, for a quarter century of absurd blessings. To our loyal army of concerned fans, and to everyone who walked along and played an instrument in our Marching Band to Nowhere, know that it is a very exciting time for us, not a sad one. And that you’ll be hearing our laughter again soon enough.”

In the lineup change, Mike Greenberg’s radio show will move to 10am ET and Bart Scott and Alan Hahn will host nationally at noon. ESPN says that Highly Questionable will remain on the air with contributors including Elle Duncan, Domonique Foxworth, Israel Gutierrez, Bomani Jones, Mina Kimes, Katie Nolan, Sarah Spain, Pablo Torre and Clinton Yates.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:57 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
The whole Le Batard gang (Dan himself, Bomani Jones, Sarah Spain, Mina Kimes) is pretty much responsible for Deadspin/Defector and ESPN forging an alliance after all these years. I wonder how many of them he'll scoop up on the way out.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
HQ is pointless already without Papi. The best incarnation was with Papi and his two sons, Dan and Bo.

They'll drag it along while they figure out a new show. Bo and Pablo already failed, so I don't see much hope. And anything involving Clinton Yates is a disaster.

Mina is getting a chance to do "serious TV" with her NFL role, so I don't see her going anywhere for a while. Which is a shame, because she's the one who is both smart enough and self deprecating enough to lead a "fun" show. I could definitely see her going to NFL Network when her current contract expires.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:04 pm 

Mina is like 5’4” 95lbs.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:07 pm 

And yet they're burning up good money on Greenberg, the skank Sage Steele and a few dozen analysts like Jay Bilas/Williams who add exactly nothing on any level?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:12 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
The whole Le Batard gang (Dan himself, Bomani Jones, Sarah Spain, Mina Kimes) is pretty much responsible for Deadspin/Defector and ESPN forging an alliance after all these years. I wonder how many of them he'll scoop up on the way out.

Dan was on record when he got engaged that he really wants to cut back to essentially a "Johnny Carson" schedule, 3 days a week with the rest of the clown show running itself.

One of the great things about his show is the use of weekly all-show guests. Greg Cote on Tuesdays, Stan Van Gundy on many Wednesdays when he was at ESPN, Bomani at times before he got the 4pm slot. It's something that more shows should do, even in local markets.

If Dan scoops up people, it'll be to build that mesh where he can disappear for a week and nobody cares. Especially if he goes to his own XM channel.

But... I can see him joining Dan Patrick's enterprise and hosting in the 1-4 slot, which would also get him on XM.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:13 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
And yet they're burning up good money on Greenberg, the skank Sage Steele and a few dozen analysts like Jay Bilas/Williams who add exactly nothing on any level?

You just don't like Sage Steele because she's a Republican.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:17 pm 

Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

No, I don't like her presence, and that she's a scrawny witch in need of a broom.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:18 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:

Yeah Sage Steele is probably the best of the bunch you referenced RR, and she doesn’t even do any analysis like the rest of those clowns.

Bilas has his ok moments as well, but the Duke stain is pretty difficult to overcome.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:26 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:

Dan was on record when he got engaged that he really wants to cut back to essentially a "Johnny Carson" schedule, 3 days a week with the rest of the clown show running itself.

One of the great things about his show is the use of weekly all-show guests. Greg Cote on Tuesdays, Stan Van Gundy on many Wednesdays when he was at ESPN, Bomani at times before he got the 4pm slot. It's something that more shows should do, even in local markets.

If Dan scoops up people, it'll be to build that mesh where he can disappear for a week and nobody cares. Especially if he goes to his own XM channel.

But... I can see him joining Dan Patrick's enterprise and hosting in the 1-4 slot, which would also get him on XM.

It seems the whole show has much more fun on the less restricted podcasts.

The only guest host left is Greg Cote, and he’s never contributed much anyway.

Where ever they land I’m sure more guest hosts will pop up.

The Dan Patrick/Rich Eisen model is prolly the correct guess.

I remember Dan being sick of the show last year around his wedding.

I think since him, Stu, and Mike have been allowed back into the studio they all seem to be having a lot more fun.

I will miss the simulcasts from the Clevelander.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:29 pm 

badrogue17 wrote:
He gone . That Bart Scott / Alan Hahn show sounds like a juggernaut in waiting .

UPDATE: ESPN and Le Batard officially announced that Le Batard is exiting the company in January, sending the following quotes:

“It was mutually agreed that it was best for both sides to move on to new opportunities and we worked together closely to make that possible,” said Norby Williamson, ESPN executive vice president and executive editor. “We thank Dan for his many years and contributions to ESPN and wish him all the best going forward.”

Le Batard said, “Gracias to ESPN for unleashing Papi and Stugotz upon an unsuspecting America, and for lending its substantive credibility to our careening clown car. Can’t believe Stugotz finally achieved his dream of becoming a high-priced free agent. I’m forever indebted to Erik Rydholm, Matt Kelliher and their vibrant team for providing a creative oasis across a decade, and for expanding the Le Batard family to include so many brilliant colleagues who have become forever friends, bonded eternally by laughter and love. Want to also extend my gratitude to Chuck Salituro, Jimmy Pitaro, Traug Keller, Marcia Keegan, Connor Schell, Juan Diaz, Mike Foss, Amanda Gifford, Liam Chapman, Megan Judge, Elizabeth Fierman, the Hialeah-soaked crew at Imagina …and when did this become a droning acceptance speech instead of a quick goodbye? In short, thank you, Disney and ESPN, for a quarter century of absurd blessings. To our loyal army of concerned fans, and to everyone who walked along and played an instrument in our Marching Band to Nowhere, know that it is a very exciting time for us, not a sad one. And that you’ll be hearing our laughter again soon enough.”

In the lineup change, Mike Greenberg’s radio show will move to 10am ET and Bart Scott and Alan Hahn will host nationally at noon. ESPN says that Highly Questionable will remain on the air with contributors including Elle Duncan, Domonique Foxworth, Israel Gutierrez, Bomani Jones, Mina Kimes, Katie Nolan, Sarah Spain, Pablo Torre and Clinton Yates.

Man that Bart Scott/Adam Hahn show is a tough listen.

Highly Questionable has been largely unwatchable since the pandemic started.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:44 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
Regular Reader wrote:

If Jeopardy were an ABC/Disney property instead of Sony and CBS, the network would be pushing Mike Greenberg as the new host. Hell, they may buy it ffrom Sony just to give it to Greenberg. They'll make a global icon of him yet!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:58 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
Jbi11s wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

It seems the whole show has much more fun on the less restricted podcasts.

The only guest host left is Greg Cote, and he’s never contributed much anyway.

Where ever they land I’m sure more guest hosts will pop up.

The Dan Patrick/Rich Eisen model is prolly the correct guess.

I remember Dan being sick of the show last year around his wedding.

I think since him, Stu, and Mike have been allowed back into the studio they all seem to be having a lot more fun.

I will miss the simulcasts from the Clevelander.

I'd rather listen to the on demand content than the actual radio show. Love Greg Cote.

Regular Reader wrote:

Now the mothership gets SERIOUS SPORTS TALK all day.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:05 pm 

Yep, the XM preset for the mothership gets removed come January 5. There's not one show left that I care to listen to, with the exception of Freddie Coleman but now that I don't commute I'm rarely in the car at that time. I feel like it's 1996 again.

With the mix of podcasts and XM sport-specific channels, there's no reason for me to listen to ESPN/CBS/Fox radio any more unless it is live game action.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:10 pm 

Crick Ramp wrote:
Mina is like 5’4” 95lbs.

I would have guessed that she's shorter.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:35 pm 

Yep, the XM preset for the mothership gets removed come January 5. There's not one show left that I care to listen to, with the exception of Freddie Coleman but now that I don't commute I'm rarely in the car at that time. I feel like it's 1996 again.

With the mix of podcasts and XM sport-specific channels, there's no reason for me to listen to ESPN/CBS/Fox radio any more unless it is live game action.

Yep!!!

No reason to watch disney sports outside of live sports.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:37 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
Crick Ramp wrote:
Mina is like 5’4” 95lbs.

Mina looks like a college math teacher who is "fooled" into taking a facial by one of her students in an "amateur" video.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:49 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
Crick Ramp wrote:
Mina is like 5’4” 95lbs.

Mina looks like a college math teacher who is "fooled" into taking a facial by one of her students in an "amateur" video.

More like a “bratty step-sister” type

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:54 pm 

I like Mina.

She’s one of the better talents Espn has right now.

Can’t stand that laugh tho.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
Regular Reader wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

No, I don't like her presence, and that she's a scrawny witch in need of a broom.

And (((Greenberg)))?

Way off on Steele btw. She’s delightful.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 241 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next