It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: WGN Sports
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:33 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Will be dead soon. Does that mean that WGN will also die?

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

Post subject: Re: WGN Sports
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
If you ask most old people, WGN died the day Bob Collins crashed his plane. Or when Paul Harvey retired. Or if you ask my grandma, it was when Kathy & Judy got fired.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:59 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
I expect WGN to essentially become a round-the-clock news operation. I have no idea what they'll do in prime time. Two and a Half Men reruns?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
I think that WGN will rebuild a minor sports presence after they successfully lay off all their current people. I could see them partnering with a Learfield and brokering some low cost times for a weekend college basketball series, and maybe pick up some Fire road games.

I think they could actually do a pretty decent competitor to Chicago Tonight in the 7-9pm slot. Maybe a little more long form like the old 70s shows like Common Ground and Tilmon Tempo, something that would lend itself to podcast downloads and revenue.

But what I'm more curious about is when WBBM TV is just going to give up and fire their entire local news crew and stop having newscasts. They barely crack a 0.3, they are a joke. Partner with some ethnic radio stations and do some weekend public affairs programs, simulcast an hour of 780 from 6-7am with a screensaver, and call it a day.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:53 pm 

They tried to give up on producing a morning newscast. It involved Mike North.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:21 pm 

pizza_Place: DATYYy
When I was In high school I really enjoyed the lineup of Kap/Waddle, Milt, and then Nick Digilio.

Learned a lot from Milt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:55 pm 

Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
I think that WGN will rebuild a minor sports presence after they successfully lay off all their current people. I could see them partnering with a Learfield and brokering some low cost times for a weekend college basketball series, and maybe pick up some Fire road games.

I think they could actually do a pretty decent competitor to Chicago Tonight in the 7-9pm slot. Maybe a little more long form like the old 70s shows like Common Ground and Tilmon Tempo, something that would lend itself to podcast downloads and revenue.

But what I'm more curious about is when WBBM TV is just going to give up and fire their entire local news crew and stop having newscasts. They barely crack a 0.3, they are a joke. Partner with some ethnic radio stations and do some weekend public affairs programs, simulcast an hour of 780 from 6-7am with a screensaver, and call it a day.

None of this will happen.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Passero's
I hope not.

But it will probly turn into another WB, except with more news.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:27 am 

As long as WGN has Pat Tomasulo in the fold, don't count WGN out, that guy has talent.
Maybe they just run a nightly comedy/variety show with Pat and Wink Winkle as hosts,
I'm giggling now just thinking of the endless possibilities for hilarity....

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:31 am 

Isn't their morning news the top rated in the market? The station will still be around. They were just bought by a large media group.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:32 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
It's kinda sad. Hopefully the Sox and Cubs can find a way to let WGN air a couple dozen games next year. The Yankees and Mets both have their own networks, but still air 20 or so games a piece on regular TV each season.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:48 am 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
Frank Coztansa wrote:
It's kinda sad. Hopefully the Sox and Cubs can find a way to let WGN air a couple dozen games next year. The Yankees and Mets both have their own networks, but still air 20 or so games a piece on regular TV each season.

The Cubs are plenty charitable, but I'd say bestowing gifts on for-profit terrestrial television stations should not be one of their causes.

WGN had plenty of chances to keep the Cubs on WGN 720 and they had plenty of chances to keep more games on WGN9. How do you think ABC-7 got the rights to broadcast some games? WGN didn't want them.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:49 am 
100000 CLUB

Terrible thought.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:19 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
WGN got rid of their CW affiliation a few years ago because they wanted to stop having conflicts with sporting events.

Now they don't have to worry about sports anymore.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:41 am 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Terrible thought.

I wouldn't say your thought was that terrible, you just have a bit of nostalgia for sports on WGN.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:55 am 

pizza_Place: Lino's
Used to race home from grade school to catch the last few innings on WGN TV back in the day. We all would emulate the batting stances of our favorite players, had the lineups of most NL teams memorized. Wonder if there would be the love for the Cubs if we did not get to watch it all for free on WGN? Are the teams sacrificing future audience for current profits or did we just have nothing else to watch/do back in the day? Was a different era, had to wait for Uncle Bobby's news guy to read the school closing list to see if you had a snow day, now kids just refresh phones to see if they have an off day.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:56 am 

Cubs should have taken less money to play for WGN.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:06 pm 

Clawmaster wrote:
Used to race home from grade school to catch the last few innings on WGN TV back in the day. We all would emulate the batting stances of our favorite players, had the lineups of most NL teams memorized. Wonder if there would be the love for the Cubs if we did not get to watch it all for free on WGN? Are the teams sacrificing future audience for current profits or did we just have nothing else to watch/do back in the day? Was a different era, had to wait for Uncle Bobby's news guy to read the school closing list to see if you had a snow day, now kids just refresh phones to see if they have an off day.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:08 pm 
100000 CLUB

IMU wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Terrible thought.
I wouldn't say your thought was that terrible, you just have a bit of nostalgia for sports on WGN.
That, and I recognize the fact that being broadcast on WGN for nearly 70 years is the single biggest reason the Cubs are as big as they are today. It's certainly not their long history of winning. To spurn WGN airing (or even simulcasting) a handful of games - :roll: "charity"- is awful. But since your baseball posts are awful, its not surprising that you would support such a move.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:35 pm 

Douchebag wrote:
Clawmaster wrote:

Are you trying to intimidate me?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
You have to think that there will be a decline in the popularity of sports with the younger generations and that there will be a bubble that will burst at some point.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:49 pm 
100000 CLUB

Clawmaster wrote:

I think I'm younger than you but this is similar to the way I remember it. I was a Cubs fan first because of WGN.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:50 pm 
100000 CLUB

Drake LaRrieta wrote:
You have to think that there will be a decline in the popularity of sports with the younger generations and that there will be a bubble that will burst at some point.

It will just be consumed differently.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:31 pm 

pizza_Place: D'Agostino's
Tomorrow will be a very sad day for me, on so many levels. I’ll be in the truck as WGN does their last telecast of a Cubs game. It’s not nostalgia for me. It goes much deeper than that. I’ve been in television for over 35 years, and the fact that I’ll be there as we turn off the cameras is simply bittersweet. I’ve only had the privilege of working with them over the last 4 or 5 years, but as a freelancer they have been so important to me. The very reason I’m there in the first place is because of Arnie Harris. I saw a picture of him in the old Chicago Daily News TV Mailbag column…sitting in a TV truck circa 1972. I knew right away that that was where the action was.

The men and women I’ve worked with on these productions are genuinely talented and proud of their work. WGN treated their freelance hires with dignity, respect and genuine appreciativeness for our efforts. They’ve paid us a very good wage. They’ve been the Bailey Building and Loan that gave me a chance against Mr. Potter.

But that all ends tomorrow (and for the Sox, next Saturday).

Enjoy the homogenization of all things NBCSports has to offer. We’re losing an independent lens at a time when the concentration of power, commerce and ideas will eventually throttle creativity.

We’ve gotten used to Walmart replacing the local store, I’m sure we’ll get used to this as well.

It still sucks.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:54 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:

I think it took a few years of YES exclusivity, including a first year where they struggled with cable carriage due to fucking over MSG, which was owned by the predominant cable company in the market (does any of this sound familiar?), for the Yankees to get back on WPIX a dozen times a year or whatever.

But I don't see the Cubs ever going back to WGN. Maybe the better play all along would have been for the Rickettses to buy channel 9 and keep the Cubs parked there, maybe even do the impossible and figure out how to do something with the superstation feed that people might actually want to watch for once. I think they're making a terrible mistake with this channel considering the primacy of Comcast and the lack of year-round programming. The best-case scenario for "Marquee" (which I prefer to envision as the first cable channel entirely dedicated to journeyman fifth starter Jason Marquis) is that Sinclair essentially runs it as Fox Sports Net Chicago and rounds it out with whatever sort of off-brand college packages the FSN RSNs carry nationally, whatever those even are anymore. Worst case, it's Cubs Public Access with the Ron Santo documentary, repeats of the time Kerry Wood struck out 20, and Ryan Dempster's Def Comedy Jam. Either way, whatever they charge cable companies to carry it will be too much.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:22 pm 
100000 CLUB

OscarTangoEcho wrote:
Tomorrow will be a very sad day for me, on so many levels. I’ll be in the truck as WGN does their last telecast of a Cubs game. It’s not nostalgia for me. It goes much deeper than that. I’ve been in television for over 35 years, and the fact that I’ll be there as we turn off the cameras is simply bittersweet. I’ve only had the privilege of working with them over the last 4 or 5 years, but as a freelancer they have been so important to me. The very reason I’m there in the first place is because of Arnie Harris. I saw a picture of him in the old Chicago Daily News TV Mailbag column…sitting in a TV truck circa 1972. I knew right away that that was where the action was.

The men and women I’ve worked with on these productions are genuinely talented and proud of their work. WGN treated their freelance hires with dignity, respect and genuine appreciativeness for our efforts. They’ve paid us a very good wage. They’ve been the Bailey Building and Loan that gave me a chance against Mr. Potter.

Enjoy the homogenization of all things NBCSports has to offer. We’re losing an independent lens at a time when the concentration of power, commerce and ideas will eventually throttle creativity.

We’ve gotten used to Walmart replacing the local store, I’m sure we’ll get used to this as well.

It still sucks.

:salut: :salut:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:38 am 

pizza_Place: Passero's
OscarTangoEcho wrote:

It still sucks.

Well said. it does suck. This is why I hated Ricketts from Day 1. You knew he was gonna bring in a buncha shit to destroy all our traditions. Day baseball during the week gone. Ads all over the ballpark. Destroying WGN. Longtime Cub employees fired.

Is this really the last telecast tomorrow? Fuck, I'll have to record it.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:19 am 

It would seem that there would be increased pressure to put out a quality product as it would be easy to drop Cubs network if team sucks or in winter when there are no games. Would replaying old games with features like, "Shopping with Kris Bryant", be enough for people to fork over dollars each month if team is 10 games out in mid July? Many of us became fans as kids simply because games were free on WGN and there really wasn't much else to watch on weekday afternoons. Harry Carey was a bigger star than many of the players back in the day. There is a risk of losing the opportunity to develop future clients by making your product less accessible to the general public. This seems to be a definite gamble for the Cubs and MLB given the declining attendance numbers.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:01 am 

pizza_Place: Luigi's
Like MANY over 50 here, I will miss the rich sports legacy of WGN as well.

Great memories as a yoot watching Cubs in about the 7th inning after school.

I seem to recall a lot of the Blackhawks' games on WGN as well - way before the dismal PPV Sports Channel thing.

Maybe they could bring back Andy Griffith to fill in the void? :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:12 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
This will also suck for those of us who do not have cable and are too cheap to pay for a streaming service. I'll have to see how it goes next season and then make a choice as to whether or not the streaming service is worth it. For those of you who stream, who is the best provider to pick up NBC Sports Chicago?