It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Of all people, Sam Fels is the first new hire I've seen

viewtopic.php?p=3379136#p3379136

Then saw Jesse Spector, who I think does mostly baseball but upon quick research was also a hockey beat reporter

https://twitter.com/jessespector/status ... 6798400521

*new LoHo section * mods learn how to merge topics * allow mods to be added to foes list * move fragility topics from DB/Shoutouts to Politics *

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:29 pm 

so they had a launch. It's pretty small-time (and obviously bad timing!)

https://www.chicagotribune.com/business ... story.html

*new LoHo section * mods learn how to merge topics * allow mods to be added to foes list * move fragility topics from DB/Shoutouts to Politics *

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:15 am 

huh, they're not sticking to sports!

https://deadspin.com/you-know-whats-mor ... 1842477358

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:25 am 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
I assume the timing is purposeful, as they will not have the eyeballs for a while and can work the kinks out?

It's really tough to grade it when there's no sports.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:07 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
City of Fools wrote:
I assume the timing is purposeful, as they will not have the eyeballs for a while and can work the kinks out?

It's really tough to grade it when there's no sports.

Fels is woke AF enough where he doesn't need sports to be a "journalist".

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:55 am 

https://deadspin.com/you-know-who-jamei ... in_twitter

Arguing about Winston’s interceptions is not really about Winston, it’s about not giving permission to future black Peyton Mannings or Brett Favres to play through their mistakes to realize their Hall of Fame selves.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:58 am 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
conns7901 wrote:
https://deadspin.com/you-know-who-jameis-winston-looks-like-after-five-seaso-1842526841?utm_medium=socialflow&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter

Arguing about Winston’s interceptions is not really about Winston, it’s about not giving permission to future black Peyton Mannings or Brett Favres to play through their mistakes to realize their Hall of Fame selves.

Letting English majors use statistics is always a bad idea.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:52 am 

Working on building their audience.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:45 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Kirkwood wrote:
conns7901 wrote:
https://deadspin.com/you-know-who-jameis-winston-looks-like-after-five-seaso-1842526841?utm_medium=socialflow&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter

Letting English majors use statistics is always a bad idea.

When you adjust the numbers for the point I was going to make in the first place, Winston and Manning have almost the same stats.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:21 am 

https://deadspin.com/these-are-the-most ... 1842868719

Here it is, "The Hockey Players You Think Are Good Are Actually Bad." Sam Fels is on the case, so I'm surprised it's not just "all of them, all of them are Actually Bad, the only good thing is the NBA." It's in the single most indulgent and unreadable format, the "post the transcript of a group chat and call it an article" format. Both The Ringer and the other Gawker sites love to crap these out, laboring under the misconception that their writers' conversations are so interesting that we readers would be blessed if only we could be a virtual fly on their virtual wall. They think they're giving us the Algonquin Round Table. What they're really giving us are a thousand line breaks and people saying "Yeah.", "Wow.", and "Well anyway." Imagine selling a book that was just printouts of this board. You can't, it would be unreadable shit. But in the case of "The Most Overrated NHL Players Since 1990," they have to do it this way, because if you didn't do it that way, then oops, you wrote a listicle, and if you wrote a listicle, oops, you're Bleacher Report. People aren't supposed to know that New Deadspin is Bleacher Report.

The first one is Martin Brodeur, which, sure, everyone on the internet been up Brodeur's ass for having played behind the NZT for, oh, twenty years now. This is followed by Brett Hull, which is asinine, and to Fels's credit, he pushed back on it. One of the other guys suggested that Hull only had his best seasons because he played with Craig Janney, which is kind of like saying that Patrick Kane only won the MVP because his center was Artem Anisimov. Then comes Jaromir Jagr, the argument for which I have no patience to even skim.

After Brodeur and two of the best scorers of all time comes, you guessed it, Brad Marchand, because this is still nominally Deadspin, so they have to complain about Boston players being overrated. Deadspin Math says that denigrating a well-liked-enough top-six wing for Boston is just as incendiary, if not more incendiary, than denigrating Brett Hull.

Then comes Jonathan Toews. I've been up and down on Toews, but one of the arguments here is that Claude Giroux is better. Giroux is a fine player, but even I'm not going to pretend Toews was not instrumental in winning the Stanley Cup three times. Come on.

Draisaitl (this is an issue?), Getzlaf and Perry (yes and yes), Marian Gaborik (no one overrates Gaborik, no one even remembers him), Shea Weber (who cares), didn't read, too hard to read.

PK Subban is identified as overrated by Jesse Spector and Sam Fels, two of the people who have been doing most of the overrating all along.
Quote:
SF: He’s a victim of both Southern and hockey ideology in Nashville, which is when something goes wrong, just blame the black guy.

This is interesting to me, because the Hockey Twitter hivemind has always championed the Southern markets as Actually Good and the Canadian ones as Actually Bad when it comes to racism, analytics, and everything -- look how they all rubbed their dicks raw to the Carolina Hurricanes doing funny dances after they won games. The prevailing wisdom was that Subban was finally going to thrive in a new-growth Southern market after being blamed for everything in the single most hidebound Canadian market (and a French Canadian one at that: they're superracist!), because Sun Belt fans are internet-savvy and liberal and not tied to hockey's regrettable past.

What happened? Same thing as in Montreal: everyone loves The PK Subban Show until the team struggles and everyone gets tired of his shit. So when your act wears thin on a losing team in Montreal, it was Canadian racism. When your act wears thin on a losing team in Nashville, now it's Southern racism. What's it gonna be when they get sick of him in Newark? Italian racism? Like the '76 Bucs who lost at home and on the road, he's running out of places to play.

I'm gonna do the ultimate meta-bullshit cop-out and say what's really overrated is the ceremony of declaring players overrated, especially any of the last thirty years, when media saturation has been so high and so many opinions have been published, whether necessarily or not, that every professional athlete of note exists in perfect statis between overrated and underrated. I noticed up at the top that they did this for the NBA, too. I won't even bother with that.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:26 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
This thing is still going on?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:34 am 

sjboyd0137 wrote:

LeBron James Is Better Than Michael Jordan, Regardless Of His Finals Record

uuuuuuuuuuggghhh

Quote:
STOP PUNISHING LEBRON FOR OVERACHIEVING

That's it for me!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:40 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
I tried, and tried, and tried. I am not going to that place anymore. It offers nothing of interest. I’d rather respond to a whistler thread.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:36 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
sjboyd0137 wrote:

LeBron James Is Better Than Michael Jordan, Regardless Of His Finals Record

uuuuuuuuuuggghhh

Quote:
STOP PUNISHING LEBRON FOR OVERACHIEVING

That's it for me!

Really? They went there?

I'm not clicking because I'm not giving them the clicks.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:43 am 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
clickiest clickbait of all time.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:24 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Curious Hair wrote:
https://deadspin.com/these-are-the-most-overrated-nhl-players-since-1990-be-1842868719

Here it is, "The Hockey Players You Think Are Good Are Actually Bad." Sam Fels is on the case, so I'm surprised it's not just "all of them, all of them are Actually Bad, the only good thing is the NBA." It's in the single most indulgent and unreadable format, the "post the transcript of a group chat and call it an article" format. Both The Ringer and the other Gawker sites love to crap these out, laboring under the misconception that their writers' conversations are so interesting that we readers would be blessed if only we could be a virtual fly on their virtual wall. They think they're giving us the Algonquin Round Table. What they're really giving us are a thousand line breaks and people saying "Yeah.", "Wow.", and "Well anyway." Imagine selling a book that was just printouts of this board. You can't, it would be unreadable shit. But in the case of "The Most Overrated NHL Players Since 1990," they have to do it this way, because if you didn't do it that way, then oops, you wrote a listicle, and if you wrote a listicle, oops, you're Bleacher Report. People aren't supposed to know that New Deadspin is Bleacher Report.

The first one is Martin Brodeur, which, sure, everyone on the internet been up Brodeur's ass for having played behind the NZT for, oh, twenty years now. This is followed by Brett Hull, which is asinine, and to Fels's credit, he pushed back on it. One of the other guys suggested that Hull only had his best seasons because he played with Craig Janney, which is kind of like saying that Patrick Kane only won the MVP because his center was Artem Anisimov. Then comes Jaromir Jagr, the argument for which I have no patience to even skim.

After Brodeur and two of the best scorers of all time comes, you guessed it, Brad Marchand, because this is still nominally Deadspin, so they have to complain about Boston players being overrated. Deadspin Math says that denigrating a well-liked-enough top-six wing for Boston is just as incendiary, if not more incendiary, than denigrating Brett Hull.

Then comes Jonathan Toews. I've been up and down on Toews, but one of the arguments here is that Claude Giroux is better. Giroux is a fine player, but even I'm not going to pretend Toews was not instrumental in winning the Stanley Cup three times. Come on.

Draisaitl (this is an issue?), Getzlaf and Perry (yes and yes), Marian Gaborik (no one overrates Gaborik, no one even remembers him), Shea Weber (who cares), didn't read, too hard to read.

PK Subban is identified as overrated by Jesse Spector and Sam Fels, two of the people who have been doing most of the overrating all along.
Quote:
SF: He’s a victim of both Southern and hockey ideology in Nashville, which is when something goes wrong, just blame the black guy.

This is interesting to me, because the Hockey Twitter hivemind has always championed the Southern markets as Actually Good and the Canadian ones as Actually Bad when it comes to racism, analytics, and everything -- look how they all rubbed their dicks raw to the Carolina Hurricanes doing funny dances after they won games. The prevailing wisdom was that Subban was finally going to thrive in a new-growth Southern market after being blamed for everything in the single most hidebound Canadian market (and a French Canadian one at that: they're superracist!), because Sun Belt fans are internet-savvy and liberal and not tied to hockey's regrettable past.

What happened? Same thing as in Montreal: everyone loves The PK Subban Show until the team struggles and everyone gets tired of his shit. So when your act wears thin on a losing team in Montreal, it was Canadian racism. When your act wears thin on a losing team in Nashville, now it's Southern racism. What's it gonna be when they get sick of him in Newark? Italian racism? Like the '76 Bucs who lost at home and on the road, he's running out of places to play.

I'm gonna do the ultimate meta-bullshit cop-out and say what's really overrated is the ceremony of declaring players overrated, especially any of the last thirty years, when media saturation has been so high and so many opinions have been published, whether necessarily or not, that every professional athlete of note exists in perfect statis between overrated and underrated. I noticed up at the top that they did this for the NBA, too. I won't even bother with that.

Brett Hull has 741 career goals ( 4th all time) but yeah , TOTALLY overrated. ( Craig Janney ?? :lol: :lol: ) . Im surprised Fels hasnt gone with Subban being mediocre is the result of him being forced to smack a black puck around a rink for years on end and its caused him PTSD cuz blacks were slaves once.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
Curious Hair wrote:
https://deadspin.com/these-are-the-most-overrated-nhl-players-since-1990-be-1842868719

Quote:

One of CH's better posts ever and have no idea what he's talking about half the time with this hockey stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:42 pm 

badrogue17 wrote:
Im surprised Fels hasnt gone with Subban being mediocre is the result of him being forced to smack a black puck around a rink for years on end and its caused him PTSD cuz blacks were slaves once.

Well, the frontier of wokeness is usually accidental race science, so what would probably happen is something like "it could be that the same muscles that make some people good at basketball make them bad at hockey and swimming, so when you consider what he's up against, what he's doing is actually amazing."

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 4:04 pm 

I can't even hate read Fels.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 5:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Barraco's
The list of overrated NHL players is one of the worst lists ever created. You'd think it's a new low for Deadspin and Fels, yet we can't really be surprised.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 5:49 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Damn, CH.....that's really, really, good.

I do buy the Toews is overrated thing, but with a caveat. His career 2016-present is overrated. Once upon a time....he was an elite center and superstar. We don't win 3 cups without him. After that 3rd cup, though.....the drop off was real.....the media sure tried playing up Captain serious and he's had a few stretches where he's played well, but since the cup in 2015.....he's been a fraction of the Toews we all knew and loved.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 7:22 pm 

I'll have to check the stats but I think the decline for Toews started in 2012 when he got drunk and drove into an L column. He'd already gotten one hell of a concussion in 2009 against I want to say Vancouver, because of course it would be Vancouver, and that may have been too much brain damage in succession. They rushed him back for the playoffs, which was the Mike Smith Stops Everything And Fakes His Own Death Too series, and that may have started the slide. That time he got into weird Joe Rogan supplements was kind of stupid, but in retrospect, I shouldn't have gotten so frustrated with the guy, we just needed too much from him, I guess.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 7:47 am 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
https://deadspin.com/the-bad-call-that- ... 1843396758

Might fuck around and do a Fire Joe Morgan style takedown of this post.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 12:15 pm 

He whines about LeBron right away. Couldn't even finish it. So yeah, do it.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 12:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Curious Hair wrote:
I'll have to check the stats but I think the decline for Toews started in 2012 when he got drunk and drove into an L column. He'd already gotten one hell of a concussion in 2009 against I want to say Vancouver, because of course it would be Vancouver, and that may have been too much brain damage in succession. They rushed him back for the playoffs, which was the Mike Smith Stops Everything And Fakes His Own Death Too series, and that may have started the slide. That time he got into weird Joe Rogan supplements was kind of stupid, but in retrospect, I shouldn't have gotten so frustrated with the guy, we just needed too much from him, I guess.

He was already out with a concussion at the time he did that as he got it from Joe Thornton.

and yes 2009 was Vancouver, wasn't even called a penalty IIRC

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 12:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
"Imagine if LeBron..." is PTFB for anyone with more than a few brain cells at this point.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 12:53 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

He was already out with a concussion at the time he did that as he got it from Joe Thornton.

and yes 2009 was Vancouver, wasn't even called a penalty IIRC

https://www.hockey-reference.com/boxsco ... 10CHI.html

It was that prick Willie Mitchell, and filling in the blanks from the box score, looks like the hit itself wasn't called but Steeger jumped him and they called coincidental roughings there so he'd get two for it rather than giving Versteeg an instigator.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 3:33 pm 

I wasn't clicking on that site before...I'm sure as hell not starting now.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 3:49 pm 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
LOL she's a fuckin' scab. I mean I already knew she didn't have any principals but it's still funny.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 3:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
SpiralStairs wrote:
LOL she's a fuckin' scab. I mean I already knew she didn't have any principals but it's still funny.

Like Skinner? Maybe she just has supernintendo Chalmers.