It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Changes coming at ESPN?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Beek's
Looks like a lot of potential changes coming at ESPN, Nationally at least.

https://nypost.com/2020/04/27/mike-gree ... n-shakeup/

ESPN Radio is in the process of what could be a complete transformation that may impact every part of its schedule and eventually lead to Dan Le Batard no longer being on the network and the potential return of Mike Greenberg to radio, The Post has learned.

While these plans may play out over the next year-plus, the departure of afternoon host Will Cain from ESPN Radio appears imminent. He is soon expected to sign a contract with Fox News and Fox Nation, according to sources.

ESPN declined comment, while a Fox News spokeswoman did not immediately return a message seeking comment.

As previously reported, ESPN also is strongly considering changing up its morning program of “Golic & Wingo,” as Trey Wingo’s contract is up this year.

While the impact of the coronavirus pandemic could alter decisions, discussions regarding the potential changes are in progress.

ESPN has not yet decided how it could replace “Golic & Wingo,” though Mike Golic and Mike Golic Jr. could remain in some capacity. The Big Lead has previously mentioned that Wingo hoped to be taken off the program.

Submit your sports media questions here to be answered in an upcoming Post mailbag

Wingo was the lead host on ESPN’s NFL Draft 2020 coverage, but with the economic impact of the sports shutdown, he may not be in a good position to be choosy. His Twitter bio says that he’s “Not really a morning person …,” which could make the 6 a.m. daily start time incompatible.

A reunion of “Mike & Mike” — putting Greenberg and Golic back together — is not on the table for a variety of reasons, but one is that it conflicts with Greenberg’s TV program.

Instead Greenberg, who makes $6.5 million annually, could eventually be offered a midday slot with 1-3 p.m. a possibility.

That spot is currently held by Jason Fitz nationally, as he hosts “First Take, Your Take,” which features commentary from the TV show fronted by Stephen A. Smith and Max Kellerman. ESPN Radio executives are high on Fitz, so he would likely be in the mix in other parts if Greenberg ultimately landed from 1-3 p.m.

Either way, Greenberg will continue with “Get Up!” on ESPN, which has seen a resurgence after the program was re-formatted and Greenberg’s original co-host, Michelle Beadle, left in the summer of 2018.

SEE ALSO

Michael Kay continues ratings dominance as ESPN Radio considers other change
As for Le Batard, he still has more than a year left on his contract, but there is a feeling among many that his program does not mesh with the tastes of Norby Williamson, who is ESPN’s executive vice president and the point person on ESPN Radio’s programming. Le Batard does more of a variety show rather than strictly sports.

In July, Le Batard got into trouble with ESPN after challenging the network’s “no pure politics” edict in July and calling the network “cowardly,” while denouncing President Trump.

Since then, Le Batard has steered away from political talk. If Le Batard, who makes around $3.5 million per year, were taken off radio, ESPN could still have his TV show on and continue with his podcast network.

While at one point, ESPN might have considered going outside the network, it is much more likely to go internal if it makes a move.

ESPN is very high on Mina Kimes, but she would likely have to relocate from the West Coast and that seems unlikely at the moment.

Peter Rosenberg, who has helped the “Michael Kay Show” in New York reach the top of the ratings and is a part of Hot 97’s Ebro in the Morning, could be a potential member of a new team. Keyshawn Johnson is another name to consider as part of a larger move that could include more TV.

Kellerman has radio experience in both New York and Los Angeles and could end up in the mix, as well.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:51 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
I still think Disney creates another hour of Good Morning America and gives it to Mike Greenberg to get something out of that big dumb Get Up contract. Someone high up is obsessed with making a television star out of him.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:01 pm 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
Mike Greenberg makes $6.5 million dollars per year? Shit, I'll bore you to tears for a fraction of the cost. Who the fuck is clamoring for Mike Greenberg takes? Absolutely baffling.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:01 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
I still think Disney creates another hour of Good Morning America and gives it to Mike Greenberg to get something out of that big dumb Get Up contract. Someone high up is obsessed with making a television star out of him.

As irritating as I thought he was with Golic, the morning show with Golic, Wingo and Golic Jr. is just awful. 3 people trying way too hard to be funny all the time.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Lebetard is the best show they have. Give me Golic and McDoink in the mornings.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:41 pm 

Le Batard has been integral in reforming ESPN's image and pretty much making them an ally of Deadspin and the online left after all those years of being the enemy.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:50 pm 

Bring back Dan Patrick.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Bring back Dan Patrick.

This .

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
SpiralStairs wrote:
Mike Greenberg makes $6.5 million dollars per year? Shit, I'll bore you to tears for a fraction of the cost. Who the fuck is clamoring for Mike Greenberg takes? Absolutely baffling.

Perfect corporate face. Bland but articulate. Will never get the company into trouble.

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
I think its fair to say after that horrible draft coverage that was universally reviled and drove hordes of people to YouTube streams that ESPN's long foreseen demise is very nearly upon us. If college football is cancelled that will probably be the end of them.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:08 pm 

pizza_Place: PizzaHut
Peak ESPN was Keith Olbermann and Dan Patrick doing sportcenter. Who gives a shit anymore?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
Absolute horseshit to get rid of Lebatard.

By far the best programming on ESPN.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:13 pm 

pizza_Place: PizzaHut
Jbi11s wrote:

Are you going to lose sleep over Lebatard?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Dan Lebetard will be fine, he'll do the same show he's always done in Miami. The problem is whatever they replace him with on ESPN will suck in comparison. I get it, ESPN doesn't want to pay anybody.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:33 pm 

Really, what is going on with Monday Night Football is what I'd be worried about. More people watch some random Dolphins-Chargers MNF game than any of their regular programming. They backed up the truck for Brees and he declined. Now they are trying to get Micheals, but I doubt he's interested.

Latest I heard is that they wanted Herbstreit to do it? Does ESPN know that MNF is the NFL and not NCAA?

I have my thoughts on what a good broadcast team would be, and I doubt ESPN would hire these types of people (even though they absolutely should)...but its alarming that everyone is turning them down. The rats aren't quite fleeing the ship, but it doesn't look like any new ones are gonna board.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
KDdidit wrote:
Dan Lebetard will be fine, he'll do the same show he's always done in Miami. The problem is whatever they replace him with on ESPN will suck in comparison. I get it, ESPN doesn't want to pay anybody.

Now that SXM includes device streaming in their basic plan, he will go to a different SXM channel and do the show there. He may lose the Clevelander base though.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:44 pm 

Antarctica wrote:
I have my thoughts on what a good broadcast team would be, and I doubt ESPN would hire these types of people (even though they absolutely should)...but its alarming that everyone is turning them down.

What would you do with it? I've wondered about doing the "players' lounge" idea that TNT has done now and then with the NBA, where you don't have a straight play-by-play man. I think they almost have to do that after the backlash against what's-his-name the Italian guy, and the way his whole Voice Voiceman shtick wore everyone out. Have the ex-player who talks the best of the three slip into pbp when needed, but for the most part abandon the idea of the stentorian lead announcer. Lots of people are probably watching at bars and stuff anyway, what do they care?

EDIT: also, the NFL seems intent on giving ESPN a dogshit slate of games now anyway after a few years of trying to pretend that Monday Night was one step down from Sunday Night. Now it's pretty clearly below Sunday, the late game, at least one early game, and sometimes Thursday. So what sort of quality broadcasters does it demand, anyway?

EDIT2: come to think of it that's more an NFL Network idea and they might already be doing it anyway, I don't know, I don't swim in the deep end here

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:07 pm 

pizza_Place: DATYYy
They don’t get the shhooooooooowww

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
The problem with ESPN is they married the NBA, so they cover it all the time in all formats. Local NBA talk is fine, but national NBA talk interests only hard core fans.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:08 pm 

blackhawksfan wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:

Are you going to lose sleep over Lebatard?

Yes.

Starting tonight.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:17 pm 

You take Pat McAfee away from his sycophantic friends and he'd be great. I've long advocated for Bill Burr.

Witten's malapropisms could've been funny and endearing but in that booth they were tragic and horrible. Bringing him back around people who would call him out on them would make for good TV.

Richard Sherman probably only has a few years left as a player. He'd be great at it, but you'd have to give him someone to bicker with. Lord, it'd piss some people off but I'd love it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:26 pm 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
veganfan21 wrote:
SpiralStairs wrote:

Perfect corporate face. Bland but articulate. Will never get the company into trouble.

I'd can be even blander. Articulate? Need to work on that.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:32 pm 

Btw Mina Kimes has the most ear grating laugh next to Seth Rogan.

She has good info, but she wouldn’t make it a year with a full time national radio gig.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:58 pm 

Antarctica wrote:
You take Pat McAfee away from his sycophantic friends and he'd be great. I've long advocated for Bill Burr.

If Deadspin weren't already dead, a Barstool guy and a Boston guy on ESPN's biggest property would kill it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:10 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Antarctica wrote:

If Deadspin weren't already dead, a Barstool guy and a Boston guy on ESPN's biggest property would kill it.

Is Barstool just a fratboy Deadspin?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
August Schell wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

As irritating as I thought he was with Golic, the morning show with Golic, Wingo and Golic Jr. is just awful. 3 people trying way too hard to be funny all the time.

I thought the same thing. I would only tune in to Mike and Mike when there was some big national story that I knew the local guys weren't going to cover. I can't even do that with Golic and Wingo. As bland as Greenberg was, he's better than all three of the Golic and Wingo hosts combined.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati’s
August Schell wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
Antarctica wrote:

Yes but the name of the game is ratings. Fratboy Deadspin would work great nationwide outside of the very territorial markets like here. If 1000 had a serviceable local morning show Mully and Haugh would be toast.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:24 pm 

August Schell wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzSVmsrJEzk

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
Yeah, LeBatard will be just fine without ESPN - he almost didn’t re-up with them last year, so no big loss from his end.

Their national radio otherwise goes from one decent host (Coleman) to instant nosedive into the crapper with Cain, Spain, and G&W. Add to that the budget-conscious and ridiculously stupid concept of “First Take, Your Take” (where they literally replay segments of “First Take”, and then talk about them), and that’s one gigantic, party-sized shit sandwich. Good fucking riddance.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:01 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Colombo's
I kind of thought Lebatard sold out a bit when his dad and brother started appearing on the show more. Before that he didn't care if he got fired or not. I remember when he lost their Rogaine sponsorship during the housing crisis when everything was going tits up. I never heard anything like that before. His local show was the best radio show I ever heard. Only remote I ever went to.