It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
Lebatard and stugoz are in their final year to qualify for the sports radio hall of fame if I remember correctly.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:28 am 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
MongoMuller wrote:
I kind of thought Lebatard sold out a bit when his dad and brother started appearing on the show more. Before that he didn't care if he got fired or not. I remember when he lost their Rogaine sponsorship during the housing crisis when everything was going tits up. I never heard anything like that before. His local show was the best radio show I ever heard. Only remote I ever went to.

His dad quit the TV show when his contract ran out.

Dan has said that he wants to build up enough of an ensemble where he only has to work three days most weeks. He has a pretty good crew around him, albeit not all in the same city. Other than Norby, the only person he's pissed off is Wilbon because of Stugotz. And while I was a big Wilbon fan before he left the Post to focus on the NBA, he's become an angry old man who wants everybody off his lawn so he can talk about Marques Johnson.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:30 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
MongoMuller wrote:
I kind of thought Lebatard sold out a bit when his dad and brother started appearing on the show more. Before that he didn't care if he got fired or not. I remember when he lost their Rogaine sponsorship during the housing crisis when everything was going tits up. I never heard anything like that before. His local show was the best radio show I ever heard. Only remote I ever went to.

Dan has said that he wants to build up enough of an ensemble where he only has to work three days most weeks. He has a pretty good crew around him, albeit not all in the same city. Other than Norby, the only person he's pissed off is Wilbon because of Stugotz. And while I was a big Wilbon fan before he left the Post to focus on the NBA, he's become an angry old man who wants everybody off his lawn so he can talk about Marques Johnson.

Didn’t Wilbon go to Northwestern ?

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:34 am 

badrogue17 wrote:
MongoMuller wrote:

I didnt realize he was from Chicago.

A young Wilbon talking to Chet about the NFL on the radio was really good. (Chet always introduced him as "the pride of St. Ignatius") I was disappointed when the Tribune couldn't pry him away from the Post and settled for Skip Bayless.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:53 am 

badrogue17 wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:20 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
badrogue17 wrote:
MongoMuller wrote:

A young Wilbon talking to Chet about the NFL on the radio was really good. (Chet always introduced him as "the pride of St. Ignatius") I was disappointed when the Tribune couldn't pry him away from the Post and settled for Skip Bayless.

Huh?

dolphin won't like this.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Beek's
MongoMuller wrote:

What about Stugotz pissed Wilbon off?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:06 pm 

Dan’s explained the reason being the fact that Stugotz’s persona is basically a parody of all hot take commentators on ESPN, and that pisses Wilbon off.

That’s the surface reason, but I’m sure there is far more to the story.

Also, I have to correct Chet here.

Lebatard and Wilbon are still good friends last I heard.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:44 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Colombo's

Yeah I jumped off before he went national. I could see where the show was headed when he was still local. The contempt for ESPN went away, Hockman left, Stugotz' bit was a little played out and he was starting to have more interactions with national ESPN people instead of ridiculing them. I'm surprised he had a falling out with Wilbon as he and Kornheiser were the only 2 people at ESPN he got along with back then.

I had to do some work at the office this morning and found the show on youtube after Lebron signed with the Heat so listened while I got some work done. He had a good run with his local show...I couldn't believe what he was getting away with.

https://youtu.be/Q7Dq9XSTBT0

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:53 pm 

He still ridicules all levels of ESPN employees.

He is still cool with Wilbon.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:57 pm 

MongoMuller wrote:

Yeah I jumped off before he went national. I could see where the show was headed when he was still local. The contempt for ESPN went away, Hockman left, Stugotz' bit was a little played out and he was starting to have more interactions with national ESPN people instead of ridiculing them. I'm surprised he had a falling out with Wilbon as he and Kornheiser were the only 2 people at ESPN he got along with back then.

I had to do some work at the office this morning and found the show on youtube after Lebron signed with the Heat so listened while I got some work done. He had a good run with his local show...I couldn't believe what he was getting away with.

https://youtu.be/Q7Dq9XSTBT0

He still loves Uncle Tony. Wilbon has gotten pretty bad and inflexible in the last two years. He doesn't get the show, so Dan has to defend Stu. You'd probably like the South Beach Sessions podcast that DLB does. Other than the obligatory commercial, it's just him and somebody he likes for a while. The one he did with Tony was fantastic.

But today, Dan's universe is the younger ESPN set: Bomani, Pablo, Sarah Spain, Mina Kimes, Amin, Izzy, Katie Nolan. It's clear that off-air he tries to be their mentor the way that Uncle Tony was to him.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:00 pm 

Dan has said it’s ok to have two friends who don’t like each other.

Have I missed something he said about not getting along with Wilbon anymore?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:05 pm 

Jbi11s wrote:
Dan has said it’s ok to have two friends who don’t like each other.

Have I missed something he said about not getting along with Wilbon anymore?

I never hear them have a conversation that's pleasant any more. If he's on, he's busy shitting on Stu. Normally I'd think it's an act, but he's kind of that way with everybody these days.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:14 pm 

Wilbon sucks big time, but I’ve just never heard a deliberate admission from Dan about the end of their friendship.

I have heard him defend their friendship maybe last summer.

Pretty sure that was when they were playing that PTI clip of Wilbon trying to say DeGrom wasn’t worthy of a Cy Young. It was very old man yelling at the sky funny.

When was the last time Wilbon was on the show?

I haven’t listened much since they went to the Corona, all audio, no video broadcast.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
First Take is ESPN's highest rated show and it's hot garbage, so what do I know about quality sports programming.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:08 am 

Lebatard trying to talk about this article now.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza

No idea who she is, but people seem surprised.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
what is wrong with her face

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:58 pm 

Antarctica wrote:
what is wrong with her face

Looks like she went to the Goldie Hawn and Helen Hunt school of plastic surgery.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:35 am 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
Terry's Peeps wrote:

No idea who she is, but people seem surprised.

nfl reporter, she seemed to have good connections w/players and would break news a decent amount for a lady who is not a sheft/rapsheet type of reporter. i too am surprised as she is good at her job. must be a $$ thing, she'll land on her feet on another network.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:12 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
I watch ESPN every Sunday before games and can't recall ever seeing her.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:16 am 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
pittmike wrote:

if the last part is true then the first part is not.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:47 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
billypootons wrote:
pittmike wrote:

if the last part is true then the first part is not.

I watch the pregame show with Sam Ponder, Hasselback, Moss and Rex Ryan. Was she on that?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:16 am 

She's odd looking but I saw her dancing once and she has an amazing body. I've never been able to get that image of her out of my head when she appeared on tv since.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Pasaro's, St. Joe, MI.
I've been a pretty steady listener of the DLB show since my local station added them last Fall. I got Kornheiser's show. I can't get Dan. Well, I can get Dan, but not why he puts up with the clowns, especially Stu. I know its all an act, I just don't like the act. Give me Dan Patrick and Rich Eisen any day. And, I'd take Greenberg alone over any or all of the other three current morning guys. If there really is someone at ESPN who is infatuated with Jason Fitz, that person must have had a stroke. Fitz is TURRIBLE, can't speak in recognizable sentences, has no opinions of his own, and is whinier than Greenberg. Sounds like part-time fill-in late night on the Score.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:29 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
ESPN pays almost twice as much for one-a-week schedule backwash as CBS pays for the entire AFC; covid recession and the death of linear cable TV made that catch up real real fast