“Enough Already..”

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:37 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
View active topics button

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:08 am 

pizza_Place: Passero's
His broadcast partner was right.

He is a good man.

Brennamen was always one of my favorites. And he still is.

This no doubt was a young disrespectful cameraguy who somehow was in on the discussion, and he purposely went on air early hoping to catch him say somethin' "offensive".

THAT's the guy that needs to be suspended. For not doing his job correctly. Fuck him.

As far as saying "burrito", it's nothing most, if not all of us and baseball/sports fans have said before. Big fuckin whoop. Yea u dont say it on air but it wasnt meant to be on air.

Obviously Thom and his broadcast partner have a close friendship as well and sometimes u say shit to a close friend that you wouldnt say to anybody else or in public. It's called shooting the shit. Fuck whatever 25 year old piece of shit camera/truck guy decided to fuck with him. But these days they dont raise kids to respect their elders, good or bad. They raise them to think they know everything.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:09 am 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
whistler, you are assuming ill intent here without any evidence to back it up. The regional sports networks always have issues with cutting to commercial and coming back. This is most likely due to the staffing/equipment that is in place there -- if they were more talented and/or had better equipment, these issues would be less prevalent. How many times do you see a rejoin and there's seven seconds of silence for no reason? Personally, I have seen that quite a bit. Until we hear otherwise, I am going to go with Occam's Razor here and assume it was just a technical error without any malevolent intent. Check out this for a similar rejoin issue: https://streamable.com/3359u (of course this was just some naughty language and not a slur.... and it is a very good song.)

Secondly, the fact that he is using the slur is the issue. People have indeed said that word before, and will continue to say it, but society is at least somewhat of the opinion that it is not appropriate to use that word, even in less publicized exchanges. The whole point of it is to not use those words going forward... and it is a big whoop to those who are offended by it. Maybe my pals walk down the same street that your mom, wife, or daughter is walking down and we, in private, have a conversation where we refer to her with the hard C word. You're probably not OK with that even though we weren't saying it on air, or printing it in a newspaper. Just because you aren't offended by a specific word doesn't mean that the word isn't offensive on the whole. And society determines this, not an individual.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion on the appropriateness of using certain words, and certainly Brenneman didn't break any laws by saying the word or face any sort of criminal reprocussions. It seems though that the mindset of American society today is not permissive of some of these words/thoughts that the American mindset might have been permissive of in 1988. This is certainly not unusual for a society to change and shift in views of things. The rights of minorities and women have obviously shifted greatly in the past 100 years. The opinions on alcohol, drugs, gambling, and prostitution have shifted in that time frame as well. And they will probably be even more different in 2045... we may find it almost comical that we locked gorillas up in cages/exhibits when they were perfectly able of acting as sentient beings and deserving of some of the same rights we once said years ago only applied to white males.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:14 am 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
whistler wrote:
But these days they dont raise kids to respect their elders, good or bad. They raise them to think they know everything.

winner winner chicken dinner!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:37 am 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
Is this truly something for which the punishment should be the end of a career? Probably a 5-10 million dollar effective fine by society. That seems like an inappropriate penalty, as committing renting a hooker and getting caught would be literally a slap on the wrist.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:29 am 

pizza_Place: Kaiser's - Kenosha
If AA's can each other the 'N" word, or even call white people the same word (see the Keese Love footage) and homosexuals can call themselves the "F" word, why does Thom Brennaman's career need to be trashed by something other people do every day? Words ARE NOT violence. No one was harmed. This is bullshit.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:45 am 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
shirtless driver wrote:
If AA's can each other the 'N" word, or even call white people the same word (see the Keese Love footage) and homosexuals can call themselves the "F" word, why does Thom Brennaman's career need to be trashed by something other people do every day? Words ARE NOT violence. No one was harmed. This is bullshit.

What's the n word?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:30 am 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Rioting, looting, violence towards police. Left politicians praise them. Most give nothing to society, and have nothing to lose. Here a decent, hard working man makes a joke off camera and is crucified. One of the best , honest broadcasters left who isn't an ass kisser. Hope all works out for him, and he can continue doing Red's games, what he loves.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:35 am 

vitoscotti wrote:
Rioting, looting, violence towards police. Left politicians praise them. Most give nothing to society, and have nothing to lose. Here a decent, hard working man makes a joke off camera and is crucified. One of the best , honest broadcasters left who isn't an ass kisser. Hope all works out for him, and he can continue doing Red's games, what he loves.

U want him to succ u?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:54 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
SpiralStairs wrote:
shirtless driver wrote:

What's the n word?

Sadly, that's already a real question. That's what happens when doublespeak is the official language..

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:56 am 

WaitingforRuffcorn wrote:
SpiralStairs wrote:
shirtless driver wrote:

What's the n word?

Sadly, that's already a real question. That's what happens when doublespeak is the official language..

So, what's the n word?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:10 am 

pizza_Place: maciano's
SpiralStairs wrote:
SpiralStairs wrote:
shirtless driver wrote:

What's the n word?

So, what's the n word?

I read that AA as American Airlines so now I have pilots greeting each other with n bombs using the cockpit voice stuck in my head.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:15 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
TurdFerguson wrote:
SpiralStairs wrote:
SpiralStairs wrote:
shirtless driver wrote:

What's the n word?

So, what's the n word?

I read that AA as American Airlines so now I have pilots greeting each other with n bombs using the cockpit voice stuck in my head.

I thought maybe there was a 13th step added recently.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:17 am 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
TurdFerguson wrote:
SpiralStairs wrote:
SpiralStairs wrote:
shirtless driver wrote:

What's the n word?

So, what's the n word?

I am sitting in the Charlotte airport waiting for another AA flight. If the pilots start using that phrase on the flight, that would confuse the hell out of me.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:00 am 

vitoscotti wrote:

Dude, Thom sucks. He always did. Take his dick out of your mouth, f@g.

Last edited by Douchebag on Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:02 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Douchebag wrote:
vitoscotti wrote:

Dude, Thom socks. He always did. Take his dick out of your mouth, f@g.

I think he cubs.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:05 am 

Terry's Peeps wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
vitoscotti wrote:

Dude, Thom socks. He always did. Take his dick out of your mouth, f@g.

I think he cubs.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:27 am 

pizza_Place: Grazianos
Crick Ramp wrote:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2020/08/19/reds-announcer-thom-brennaman-appears-to-use-homophobic-slur/amp/

“Enough Already..”

Couple of lesson learned. One, don't trust anyone on a broadcast that goes out to a wide audience. Look at the trouble Barry O. got into with his off mike statement about relaying a message to Vlad. Secondly, watch what you say in this gotcha state of what used to be free speech in this country. He had to know that he was going to be canned. As for that camera man, did he do this on purpose?

Oh, he might have went on livin'
But he made one fatal slip
When he tried to match the Ranger
With the big iron on his hip

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:48 am 

The Hawk wrote:
Crick Ramp wrote:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2020/08/19/reds-announcer-thom-brennaman-appears-to-use-homophobic-slur/amp/

“Enough Already..”

Couple of lesson learned. One, don't trust anyone on a broadcast that goes out to a wide audience. Look at the trouble Barry O. got into with his off mike statement about relaying a message to Vlad. Secondly, watch what you say in this gotcha state of what used to be free speech in this country. He had to know that he was going to be canned. As for that camera man, did he do this on purpose?

What does The Hawk think freedom of speech means?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:57 am 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
Is this truly something for which the punishment should be the end of a career? Probably a 5-10 million dollar effective fine by society. That seems like an inappropriate penalty, as committing renting a hooker and getting caught would be literally a slap on the wrist.
He was fired from his job for a pretty justifiable reason. People get fired for all kinds of reasons. Still to be determined if it is the end of his career.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:00 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
SpiralStairs wrote:
The Hawk wrote:
Crick Ramp wrote:

“Enough Already..”

Being able to say whatever you want as long as you aren't talking about the Trump administration.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:00 am 

Nas wrote:
SpiralStairs wrote:
The Hawk wrote:
Crick Ramp wrote:

“Enough Already..”

Being able to say whatever you want as long as you aren't talking about the Trump administration.

Yup

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:01 am 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
If he had said "one of the gay capitals of the world," would that have been problematic or was it just the slur?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:29 am 

Jaw Breaker wrote:
If he had said "one of the gay capitals of the world," would that have been problematic or was it just the slur?

Pretty sure that would be ok.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:36 am 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
SpiralStairs wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:

Pretty sure that would be ok.
It certainly wouldn't have generated the same response. However you'd still have to wonder under what context a sports broadcaster would make that statement. At least it would have left some wiggle room for Brenneman and his bosses.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:56 am 

pizza_Place: Passero's
Great interview with Thom here.

Pretty much the first I've seen of him talkin' to the public since his fall from grace.

This is AUDIO of the Jason Williams and Sharon Coolidge podcast. Great questions asked of him.

At around 58:00 he starts deliverin' some good nuggets.

I laughed when he mentioned he worked with Harry Caray for 6 years and Williams chuckled :lol:

"We've gone straight vanilla" :lol:

"Blue dot on a blue wall" :lol:

"When u have time on ur hands u sit around and think about these things: In my career I might have said 190 million words on the air" :lol:

He also said that Bob Costas has been very supportive, texting him every week (they never spoke b4 that), and even put a word in for him to the Cubs about replacin' Len.

At the end he also plugs his new website and podcast.

Check it out here:
https://www.cincinnati.com/restricted/? ... 8195001%2F