It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Disconnect
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
I know this has been escalating for years now. I also know the board has clearly noticed and its been discussed before by MANY.

But these last few days the disconnect between sports media specifically and the fans has really expanded. Aside from a very select few culture warriors like Clay Travis the universal media sentiment is that its Actually Good when sports are cancelled. Whether it be for corona or due to the rioting. Those who dont agree are silent, certainly held hostage by the imminent threat of career cancellation.

What's astounding is that the opinion among fan is AT BEST split 50/50. I suspect its actually pretty solidly in the -anti to cancelling sports but for the sake of argument I'll call it 50/50.

This just doesn't seem sustainable. How can very nearly the entire media remain united in a stance that is counter to what at least have of sports fans feel? At what point does the levee break here?

Post subject: Re: The Disconnect
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
The entire media says that they are united. I doubt it.

Any television PBP guy who went on and criticized the Dodgers or the Brewers or the Mariners would get immediately cancelled. Opinion is not acceptable any more.

It goes in both directions in society, but journalism is a heavily liberal business (and education structure) and has been for many years. Sportswriters used to be the exception, they tended to more accurately reflect the political spectrum. But now those who might feel that the boycotts are useless are smart enough to keep their jobs.

Well, except for Thom Brenneman, I guess.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
The fan opinion isn't close to 50/50. It's like 90/10 that sports should keep going, and I think even that's generous to the "cancel sports" side

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Not just the fans' opinions but the players' opinions.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:58 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
The fan opinion isn't close to 50/50. It's like 90/10 that sports should keep going, and I think even that's generous to the "cancel sports" side

You're almost certainly right, so why is it impossible for anyone to say they should keep playing? Aside from people who just play heel anyways that opinion will you get crucified but it certainly is a more accurate representation of the way people feel.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:06 pm 

Antarctica wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

You're almost certainly right, so why is it impossible for anyone to say they should keep playing? Aside from people who just play heel anyways that opinion will you get crucified but it certainly is a more accurate representation of the way people feel.

It's lazy explanation for it but it's almost certainly exclusively tied to the Twitter bubble these folks are in.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:50 pm 

One thing I enjoy is the unanimous opinion among the Twitter crowd that "Words are not enough, we need action" while they all retweet eachother's words.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:05 pm 

I'm done with it all. Officially burnt out. Congrads 2020, I am PTFB on social issues.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:06 pm 

Juiced wrote:
I'm done with it all. Officially burnt out. Congrads 2020, I am PTFB on social issues.

:lol:

I don't believe you

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:16 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
Juiced wrote:

:lol:

I don't believe you

I am only commenting on sports or sports hosts. Enough is enough. The world has gone to shit. Jerry will probably vote to cancel the MLB season like he did in 94'

The Cubs have already checked out and the Bears suck because management doesn't like black QB's.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:21 pm 

"im done with social issues"
seconds later
"the bears are racist"

welcome back to the fold, partner

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:21 pm 

also, this is the same org that signed Kordell Stewart

and (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky is polish, which is basically the black people of white people

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:23 pm 

Antarctica wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

Thats what I dont understand and Ive touched on it before. Why is it so impossible to have differing opinions ? People will literally lose their jobs if they dont fall in line and you know damn well not everyone agrees with this ( or any hot button issue) both on the players and media side. If Steve Stone were to say " yeah this is a hollow gesture that wont change anything " he'd be out of a job or be FORCED to issue the non-apology apology in order to keep it even though probably half his audience would agree with it . All the 670 guys, lockstep opinions. AM 1000 , Jurko kinda sorta will sometimes skirt the non-politically correct spectrum but very carefully and no one listens anyway so he can get away with a little. I vehemently disagree with a lot of the social issues and opinions of others here but I certainly dont want to not read Nas' , ltg, BRick ( ewwww) takes on them. Yeah theres a lot of discord on here but at least people are for the most part being real. Why cant that exist in sports, sports media ?

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:24 pm 

Antarctica wrote:
"im done with social issues"
seconds later
"the bears are racist"

welcome back to the fold, partner

Sports and hosts. Didn't say I wouldnt throw in jabs here and there.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:26 pm 

Well it wont be this way forever. Whether we get some sort of seismic event that puts cancel culture and wokeness to bed or it gets done in by just plain fatigue, it wont last.

And that's when this era is going to be getting is post-mortem. I dont think it'll be particularly favorable either. Like a mini dark ages.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:30 pm 

Antarctica wrote:

and (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky is polish, which is basically the black people of white people

Pace and Nagy did not sign Stewart.

If they are not racist and passed up Mahomes, Watson and Newton for (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky and Foles then they should be fired.

Either way they should be fired.

They didn't even interview Watson and who thinks Foles is better then Cam? Who ever made that call should have to explain how they came to those decisions.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:33 pm 

Antarctica wrote:
Well it wont be this way forever. Whether we get some sort of seismic event that puts cancel culture and wokeness to bed or it gets done in by just plain fatigue, it wont last.

And that's when this era is going to be getting is post-mortem. I dont think it'll be particularly favorable either. Like a mini dark ages.

I think they are setting us up for the long game. Change is coming and I don't think it is going to be pretty. Like a (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky pass into the abyss.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Grazianos
Antarctica wrote:
I know this has been escalating for years now. I also know the board has clearly noticed and its been discussed before by MANY.

But these last few days the disconnect between sports media specifically and the fans has really expanded. Aside from a very select few culture warriors like Clay Travis the universal media sentiment is that its Actually Good when sports are cancelled. Whether it be for corona or due to the rioting. Those who dont agree are silent, certainly held hostage by the imminent threat of career cancellation.

What's astounding is that the opinion among fan is AT BEST split 50/50. I suspect its actually pretty solidly in the -anti to cancelling sports but for the sake of argument I'll call it 50/50.

This just doesn't seem sustainable. How can very nearly the entire media remain united in a stance that is counter to what at least have of sports fans feel? At what point does the levee break here?

So, I played golf today and it is amazing to me that I'd say at least 3/4 of the guys who were there said that they will never watch an NBA game or an NFL game again. And baseball is also in play with the actions by Milwaukee, the Dodgers, and the Giants. I think that Jason Whitlock got it right, said what he thought and lost his job basically. Sports is killing its golden goose with what it is endorsing and supporting in lawlessness everywhere.

Anyone who thinks that sports is going to recover from this lunacy is greatly mistaken and while the current multi-millionaires will be fine and financially set for generations, the young guys coming into these leagues are going to see a much different salary structure going forward and a big time reduction in endorsement money. :bom: :bom: :bom:

Oh, he might have went on livin'
But he made one fatal slip
When he tried to match the Ranger
With the big iron on his hip

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Grazianos
badrogue17 wrote:
Antarctica wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

Thats what I dont understand and Ive touched on it before. Why is it so impossible to have differing opinions ? People will literally lose their jobs if they dont fall in line and you know damn well not everyone agrees with this ( or any hot button issue) both on the players and media side. If Steve Stone were to say " yeah this is a hollow gesture that wont change anything " he'd be out of a job or be FORCED to issue the non-apology apology in order to keep it even though probably half his audience would agree with it . All the 670 guys, lockstep opinions. AM 1000 , Jurko kinda sorta will sometimes skirt the non-politically correct spectrum but very carefully and no one listens anyway so he can get away with a little. I vehemently disagree with a lot of the social issues and opinions of others here but I certainly dont want to not read Nas' , ltg, BRick ( ewwww) takes on them. Yeah theres a lot of discord on here but at least people are for the most part being real. Why cant that exist in sports, sports media ?

And how about that asshole, Doc Rivers. Imagine if a white coach would have said the same kind of thing but directed at black people?

Oh, he might have went on livin'
But he made one fatal slip
When he tried to match the Ranger
With the big iron on his hip

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:37 pm 

Juiced wrote:
Antarctica wrote:

Pace and Nagy did not sign Stewart.

If they are not racist and passed up Mahomes, Watson and Newton for (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky and Foles then they should be fired.

Either way they should be fired.

They didn't even interview Watson and who thinks Foles is better then Cam? Who ever made that call should have to explain how they came to those decisions.

The Mahomes thing was a fuck-up but I dont think it was due to race. They passed on Watson because they a medical flag on him, they weren't alone in that regard.

I would rather have Nick Foles than Cam Newton 100/100 times. One has a ring, the other has The Flinch.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:39 pm 

Juiced wrote:
Antarctica wrote:

I think they are setting us up for the long game. Change is coming and I don't think it is going to be pretty. Like a (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky pass into the abyss.

well see the problem with leftism is that it fails. usually very quickly and always quite spectacularly. their long game is untenable.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
Antarctica wrote:

I think it will be more like the IRA. With the eventual transition to "troubles" and then to political faction a la Sein Fein; and at that point it all just goes back to political squabbling and nothing matters any more.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Antarctica wrote:

Do you know he is Polish? Typically, Polish is -ski. -sky is usually Russian or Ukrainian.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:43 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
i thought this thread was going to be about CFMB internet errors.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:07 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Bears really never gave Vince Evans a chance.

I’ll bet they wished they still had him in ‘84 when they were pushing Rusty Lisch out there.

The guy was like Methuselah. He might still be in the league.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:

I’ll bet they wished they still had him in ‘84 when they were pushing Rusty Lisch out there.

Evans threw a pretty ball.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:12 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
Jaw Breaker wrote:

Evans threw a pretty ball.

He really did. Very few people knew where it was going, teammates included.

But that was a tight spiral.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:19 pm 

Vince was probably ahead of his time.

6'2" / 220 with some elusiveness and a big arm. He'd probably get $50 million coming out of college today out of USC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TA4bzCITebA

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's

6'2" / 220 with some elusiveness and a big arm. He'd probably get $50 million coming out of college today out of USC.

https://youtu.be/GPDHx0jYYh0

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:33 pm 

WaitingforRuffcorn wrote:

https://youtu.be/GPDHx0jYYh0

They should just bring Vince back twice a year to play Green Bay.

I'll bet he's still got it. He can't be more than 65.

Only has 15 years left or so to run for President.