It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:15 am 

pizza_Place: Passero's
Remember them? Used to get up every Sunday Morning to catch this show at 8:30. Then time flew by, life got busy, and I lost track of 'em. John Saunders croaked, and then eventually the plug got pulled.

Well guess what. Theyre still doin' it!

Although not on TV, they still do an hour long podcast, actually 2 of 'em, every fucking week.

And it's still the same guys minus Saunders: Lupica, Albom, and Bob Ryan.

I love these guys and it's amazing they still do it. They talk about everything.

Lupica still makes me laugh :lol: , and Bob ryan too. Check it out here:

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/t ... 1277836581

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:43 am 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Great sports talk. Tom Waddle was on occasionally. Also, a busty Sara Spain.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:20 am 

pizza_Place: Lino's
Old enough to remember listening to "The Sportswriters" show on WGN, which was the precursor to the TV version of the show on what I seem to remember was SportsVision?

It was the first entirely sports talk show I remember, but I was a hapless youth at the time. Is Telander the only guy left that appeared on that show, don't remember if Terry ever guested on the WGN version?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:59 am 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
Clawmaster wrote:
Old enough to remember listening to "The Sportswriters" show on WGN, which was the precursor to the TV version of the show on what I seem to remember was SportsVision?

It was the first entirely sports talk show I remember, but I was a hapless youth at the time. Is Telander the only guy left that appeared on that show, don't remember if Terry ever guested on the WGN version?

Terry did guest occasionally on the radio show in his youth.

As Bill Jauss was winding down his career, he'd occasionally pick up a Central Suburban League South football or basketball game assignment, I guess because he lived up north (Evanston?) and it was better than what was on TV.

The day that Jauss died, Terry was very emotional on the air.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
Clawmaster wrote:

My dad would turn it on from time to time. He wasn’t a huge consumer of sports but he liked listening to them. I saw the sportsvision version a few time 25 years ago. Don’t remember who the hosts were except maybe telander.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:14 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
Jauss, Bill Gleason, Ben Bentley, Telander....Joe Mooshil was on occasionally and Mully was also on a few times, IIRC.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:45 pm 

pizza_Place: D'Agostino's
I think a lot of credit for the show's success should be directed towards John Roach who produced the show, gave it its minimalistic look (aided greatly by Bently's lingering smoke), and form (4 topics, lasting about 15 minutes each if I recall, given enough time to breathe without it getting exhausting).

There was no internet, there was no sports talk radio. They didn't have to be as good as they were. And yet they were.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:03 pm 

John Roach definitely deserves credit. He was also a big influence on peak Steve and Garry.

For the ESPN version, to me the peak was 1997-1998 when they'd line up Dick Schap and Tony Kornheiser with Ryan, Albom, and either Lupica or pre-smugness Wilbon. That group could really get after stuff, and would set me up for watching the old This Week with David Brinkley afterward over breakfast.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:29 am 

pizza_Place: Lino's
OscarTangoEcho wrote:
I think a lot of credit for the show's success should be directed towards John Roach who produced the show, gave it its minimalistic look (aided greatly by Bently's lingering smoke), and form (4 topics, lasting about 15 minutes each if I recall, given enough time to breathe without it getting exhausting).

There was no internet, there was no sports talk radio. They didn't have to be as good as they were. And yet they were.

I do remember the segments being limited which left you wanting a little more on the topic, they also would disagree on each others takes. Seemed Murph tried to mimic this approach, he used to say something like, "I have ten pounds of content and only a one pound bag", or something like that during his truncated evening show in the early days. He even used the phrase, "miss a little, miss a lot", because he did not often replay content.

There was also no fear of offending local teams, but his was of course when the "ink stained wretches", especially the columnists, did not feel they had to sugar coat takes to avoid offending team ownership.

When you contrast that to some of the current shows, especially Holmes, it seems some hosts really do not have enough original content to fill a show, so they replay play by play or entire segments from other shows despite all of the content being readily available on podcasts.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Passero's
Latest episode:

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/s ... 0504311837

Hilarious at about 20:00 when Bob Ryan is dancin' around his answer and Lupica coxes him to "say yes, bob!" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
Peoria Matt wrote:
Jauss, Bill Gleason, Ben Bentley, Telander....Joe Mooshil was on occasionally and Mully was also on a few times, IIRC.

Lester Munson ended up being on for several years.

Gleason was great.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:20 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
How did I forget those eyebrows?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
tommy wrote:
Peoria Matt wrote:

Gleason was great.

Gleason ran Bentley off the show iirc.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:40 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
I use to run into Jauss all the fucking time in the city. Never could avoid him. It was like destiny. One day he came over to me and says hey I see you all the time!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:07 pm 

Peoria Matt wrote:
How did I forget those eyebrows?

I'm cultivating those now :evil:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:32 pm 

tommy wrote:
Peoria Matt wrote:

Gleason was great.

I flew in the row behind Lester and his wife as they were going to Saratoga (and sadly I was going to a client), probably back around 1999 or 2000. 85 degree day and Lester is wearing his trademark black dress shirt. Without TV makeup he was so incredibly pale, he looked like a corpse.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
tommy wrote:
Peoria Matt wrote:

Gleason was great.

I flew in the row behind Lester and his wife as they were going to Saratoga (and sadly I was going to a client), probably back around 1999 or 2000. 85 degree day and Lester is wearing his trademark black dress shirt. Without TV makeup he was so incredibly pale, he looked like a corpse.

I remember Lester Munson as a “legal expert” on the Score (or one of the local stations) claiming the SICA West conference realigned for racial reasons. He said they moved out the primarily black basketball teams because the other ones couldn’t compete. He listed remaining teams and It sounded plausible until I realized that one team still in the conference which he failed to mention was Joliet Township - who happened to be ranked 1st in the state at the time.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:19 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
Terry Boers wrote:
If Mitch Albom was on fire I wouldn't piss on him to put it out!

(Altho if you were listening at the time Terry actually fucked up this adage, but in the end it was what he meant to say.)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:23 pm 

https://youtu.be/WlOvEVRUK_A

The one thing I definitely don't remember is Old Style Light? Wtf?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:27 pm 

sinicalypse wrote:

Wow this old show asks a better question than most debate shows these days... is Roger Clemens better than Nolan Ryan? One of the dudes in 91 says Clemens was already better than Nolan Rysn ever was.... and this was b4 his Renaissance in Toronto snd New York!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:35 am 

sinicalypse wrote:

another sign of getting old, I think of 1991 as recent history even though it was 30 years ago

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:41 am 

pizza_Place: What??
Yeah, Clemens was better than Ryan. For many years, Ryan was throwing at the mascot.