It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: WFAN
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:09 pm 

I listen to lots of New York sportsradio. Odd because I have no allegiance to any New York team nor do I like New York. But those guys are having fun and taking calls and seem to be a bit like the Score once was. Craig Carton in the afternoon is doing Danny Mac's act. and they even have their own Mike Murphy in the form of Steve Silverman at night.It is particularly fun when things go south for any New York team. Then it's Meatball City. But I still spend a good amount of time listening to the Score and root for a Parkins-Spiegel pairing on a permanent basis.

Post subject: Re: WFAN
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
I might have to check that out (I assume it's streamable?). Probably more entertaining than much of the WSCR lineup.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:30 pm 

pizza_Place: PizzaHut
Mitch Rosen turned the station into a bore. He's the problem.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:06 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
orioleboy wrote:
I listen to lots of New York sportsradio. Odd because I have no allegiance to any New York team nor do I like New York. But those guys are having fun and taking calls and seem to be a bit like the Score once was. Craig Carton in the afternoon is doing Danny Mac's act. and they even have their own Mike Murphy in the form of Steve Silverman at night.It is particularly fun when things go south for any New York team. Then it's Meatball City. But I still spend a good amount of time listening to the Score and root for a Parkins-Spiegel pairing on a permanent basis.

thanks will check it out. so tired of chicago radio. like listening to some pusedo political shows now.

what makes a great radio host / station is to entertain the audience when there are no big sports news or no sports. the score use to do that back in the day with north/jiggests, heavy fuel crew, Murph, JHood, etc...

Hoping this NY channel provides that same type of entertainment.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
orioleboy wrote:

(Edit: It’s Steve Somers) The comp of Somers to Murph is apt, except Murph was somewhat listenable for more than 30 seconds at a time. Steve Somers is horrendous.

Last edited by Minooka Meatball on Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:21 pm 

i still listen to WIP 94.1 in Philly mainly for Cataldi's morning show. it hasn't changed at all since i started listening 25 years ago. it's at its best when the eagles suck or have lost a big game, especially to dallas.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:17 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Minooka Meatball wrote:
orioleboy wrote:

(Edit: It’s Steve Somers) The comp of Somers to Murph is apt, except Murph was somewhat listenable for more than 30 seconds at a time. Steve Somers is horrendous.

Steve Somers isn't really like Murph, from what I've heard. He's more of an intellectual Les.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:47 pm 

could not find steve silverman as a host on the WFAN website.

so it's somers guy? he sort of looks like a murph type. ill check him out.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:50 pm 

I'm so sorry. It is indeed Steve Somers not Steve Silverman. I find him congenial and opinionated. He's on overnight. Les is likeable but offers very little to his odd callers. There's meat on the bone on the all night show on the Fan.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:54 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
The Somers clips I've heard are all these rambling monologues, like if you crossed the Jim Gray "now they call him Breesus, the city of Drew Orleans" bit with, like, beat poetry. Imagine like "going up 3-0 as they go down to Pittsburgh, the Islanders are now the Highlanders, but they won't be getting off Scot-free, not without the contributions of Anders Lee, who has been conspicuous by his absence by being absent from conspicuousness. Will Crosby experience deja vu? or will his house become a very, very, very nice house? or will the Isles make Arbour Day come early?" Les would have had to have hung out more in Hyde Park or Old Town late into the night rather than, you know, hallways of the United Center.

I think Somers represents a New York archetype that we don't really have here. It's the same with Francesa, that sort of guy whose relatively frictionless fandom of the Yankees and Giants has somehow made him dour and smug at the same time. All our teams are too crappy or too weird for anyone to make a career out of being a joyless suburban dad.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:10 am 

Somers seems like a Les/Murph mix.

Other shows on his station are making fun of him like they use to do w/ murph

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOnbeA481Vk

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:26 pm 

It's particularly enjoyable to listen to WFAN the day after a horrendous Yankee (or Mets) loss. The fans are more meatballish and bloodthirsty and the hosts stoke the fire. One caller suggested Aaron Boone's pacemaker should be taken back. And has anyone heard Kim Jones? Oh my gosh.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:21 am 

pizza_Place: Passero's
orioleboy wrote:
It's particularly enjoyable to listen to WFAN the day after a horrendous Yankee (or Mets) loss. The fans are more meatballish and bloodthirsty and the hosts stoke the fire. One caller suggested Aaron Boone's pacemaker should be taken back. And has anyone heard Kim Jones? Oh my gosh.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

nice!

I will try and tune in.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:59 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Colombo's
Nothing tops Hamp and OB after a loss...or a win if the offense doesn't pull their weight.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Passero's
Listening tonight. Few hours after a brutal loss at Fenway.

Chris Moore show I guess?

I just heard a commercial for Republic Bank of Chicago narrated by...Pat fuckin Hughes?

New Yorkers probly have no idea who that is.

I never heard of Republic Bank either.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:06 am 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
whistler wrote:
Listening tonight. Few hours after a brutal loss at Fenway.

Chris Moore show I guess?

I just heard a commercial for Republic Bank of Chicago narrated by...Pat fuckin Hughes?

New Yorkers probly have no idea who that is.

I never heard of Republic Bank either.

If you are on the stream, they may be playing geocoded ads. So the local ad for some Puerto Rican chop shop is replaced by that.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:52 am 

pizza_Place: Pequods
I was in Boston a couple of weeks ago and heard Bernstein and Big Voice Guy do some sort of syndicated promotion/ad with an NBA summary. Dan was full-throated super-enthusiastic fast-talking Sportsguy.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:09 pm 

Listening to the Fan in New York has been glorious of late . The Yankees loss to Boston, the Giants and Jet fans devastated...entitled New Yorkers being humbled...it's radio fun,folks!