It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 12:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Now The Athletic will be the NYT's sports department. Papers should probably just kill the sports section all together. It used to be appointment reading. Now, I barely even glance at it.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2023/07/10/medi ... index.html

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 12:47 pm 

Warren Newson wrote:
Now The Athletic will be the NYT's sports department. Papers should probably just kill the sports section all together. It used to be appointment reading. Now, I barely even glance at it.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2023/07/10/medi ... index.html

I think Paul Sullivan wrote a while back that when he started on the sports desk at the Tribune, the number of people covering high school sports was more than the current entire Tribune sports department.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 12:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
I dropped my DH subscription last year. There is very little of value in that paper anymore.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 4:24 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
denisdman wrote:
I dropped my DH subscription last year. There is very little of value in that paper anymore.

Especially since YOU LIVE IN WISCONSIN

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 4:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
I still liked the baseball beat stories and local news to keep in touch. But I finally gave up on it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 5:15 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Darkside wrote:
denisdman wrote:

Especially since YOU LIVE IN WISCONSIN

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 6:33 pm 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
A lot of hockey fans on the Athletic are dropping their subscriptions due to their lack of coverage of the entire league after laying off a number of reporters. Seems like half the league doesn't have a writer yet Chicago has two.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 6:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
DAC wrote:
A lot of hockey fans on the Athletic are dropping their subscriptions due to their lack of coverage of the entire league after laying off a number of reporters. Seems like half the league doesn't have a writer yet Chicago has two.

Re-reading p1 here I’m as confused as ever on why the NYT did this, particular to gut the thing 18 months later.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2023 12:04 am 
1000 CLUB

This Ends in Antioch wrote:
DAC wrote:

Re-reading p1 here I’m as confused as ever on why the NYT did this, particular to gut the thing 18 months later.

Because they're thinking losing some subscribers is worth dumping the cost of salaries. There is a percentage hit they're willing to take for the greater good of the bottom line. They think it's worth the gamble. If the subscriber hit ends up being too much, they'll just blow the entire thing up. No big deal.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2023 7:15 am 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Blame the Internet - the writing was on the wall as soon as professional journalists realized they're competing with Basement Bob blogging out of his mom's basement, and that was like 15 years ago.

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2023 8:26 pm 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
Beardown wrote:
DAC wrote:

Because they're thinking losing some subscribers is worth dumping the cost of salaries. There is a percentage hit they're willing to take for the greater good of the bottom line. They think it's worth the gamble. If the subscriber hit ends up being too much, they'll just blow the entire thing up. No big deal.

A commentor on the Athletic who sounded like he really knew his shit, talked about how the lost subscribers would be much more expensive from a marketing standpoint to replace. In the past, subscribers were quick to sing the praises of the Athletic and did a lot of marketing and promoting for them. This describes me perfectly as someone who raved about the Athletic and suggested to any sportsfan I came across to get a subscription. Now, you have many subscribers leaving and others, like myself, that view the product as inferior to what it was a couple years ago. I guess their bean counters make all these projections.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2023 8:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
Beardown wrote:
DAC wrote:

Please don’t mansplain business to me.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants