It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:53 pm 

pizza_Place: ***
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Irish Boy wrote:
But even besides from that, 5-10% difference could be the difference between an average or above average student, a motivated or ordinary athlete, whatever. 5% isn't a negligible amount; it's just smaller than we think of.

How can you say this and the next statement in the same thread?

Irish Boy wrote:
No- absolutely horrible parenting can ruin a child; I'm talking about locking them in the closet and stuff like that. But research has pretty clearly demonstrated that if your kid turns into a monster, it probably wasn't your parenting that did it. On the other hand, if your kid turns into a genius, it probably wasn't because of you either. The most significant thing you do as a parent is contribute to the genetic material of the child.

I am not trying to play psychology expert but this is the point that people were calling you on. You are right in that parenting has a much smaller effect than you would logically think. Now getting back to the original point of this whole post. It was your position that Andy Reid could have done nothing in order to make this happen or not happen. I don't see anything you've posted that says that is true, even if his parenting skill wasn't the number one reason of drug use.

If you reread your original posts and then your responses then you will see what I am talking about. One of the things that I learned in psychology is that very few things in psychology are as concrete as your first reply in this thread seems to indicate.

I'm not sure what I've said that's contradictory. 5% isn't nothing, but it's not much either. The thread began by stipulating that ESPN was protecting Andy Reid, whose poor parenting skills were what led to his children being cretins. What I'm saying is that is probably not true, assuming that he has met the minimum parenting threshold. He could have been Danny Tanner or Ward Cleaver and they still probably would have gown up to be cretins.

As for saying that 5-10% could be the difference between an average or above-average student, like I said, there is a small effect. If you help your kid study for an exam, he'll probably do better, and that's a good thing. He'll get a better grade, you're improving his life, his self esteem, all that good stuff. But those are very particular instances, and small apples in the grand scheme of things. Your parenting isn't going to turn your child into a genius if he isn't going to become one already, regardless of how hard you try. It can only have some influence at the margins.

We're probably reaching the point of diminishing returns on this argument. But I cannot stress this enough: morally, the supremacy of genetics does not matter in the slightest when it comes to how we treat our children. Finally, this knowledge should come as a relief to most parents. For half a century, behavior scientists and Freudians had led parents to believe that every mistake a child made reflected a mistake in their upbringing. The failures of the child were the failures of the child-raising mechanism. If your child was of average intelligence, or a criminal, or aggressive, or not aggressive enough, it was your fault as a parent. We now know that's not true. Their mistakes are not yours as well. Unfortunately, neither are their successes, although it certainly shouldn't stop you from being proud when a child does well.

As a note, it was the Freudian psychologists who started the practice of splitting up identical twins for adoption in the 60s in the hopes of proving how important parenting and socialization are to the child. Needless to say, that backfired.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:58 pm 

pizza_Place: ***
man of few opinions wrote:
as the parent of 2 children (7 year old son, 4 year old daughter), i have read this thread with interest. i do not have a psychology degree, nor have i ever studied it at all. what i can say is that children are very much a product of their environment. we have from a very early age encouraged our children that reading is important, therefore, now they now both demand to read and be read to every night. we have been very strong in teaching our children to treat others with respect and to be onto others as they wish to be treated, and therefore, they have (to the extent a 7 year old and a 4 year old can). we have taught our children behavioral patterns in almost every situation, from table manners to personal hygiene, so they can learn right from wrong and carry these things on as they grow older.

i know, i know, they are only 7 and 4, things will change when they grow older, and they spread their wings. i am just not seeing how i am only contributing perhaps 10% to my child's behavior. kids are natural mimics, they mimic my wife's behaviors, as well as mine, and, unfortunately, also kids at school. sure, there is genetics involved, but in no way do i agree that a good home and good parental guidance only weighs 10%. not dissing anyones opinion, i just don't agree from a parental point of view.

Remember that your children are your children genetically and behaviorally. That's why twin studies are so important to disentangle the two. Also remember that as children get older, genetics matters more and more, and socialization matters less and less. And while kids are mimics, they are going to mimic their friends a lot more than their parents. That's why the children of immigrants drop their parents accent, for just one example.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Geo's Pizza
Irish Boy wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Irish Boy wrote:
But even besides from that, 5-10% difference could be the difference between an average or above average student, a motivated or ordinary athlete, whatever. 5% isn't a negligible amount; it's just smaller than we think of.

How can you say this and the next statement in the same thread?

Irish Boy wrote:
No- absolutely horrible parenting can ruin a child; I'm talking about locking them in the closet and stuff like that. But research has pretty clearly demonstrated that if your kid turns into a monster, it probably wasn't your parenting that did it. On the other hand, if your kid turns into a genius, it probably wasn't because of you either. The most significant thing you do as a parent is contribute to the genetic material of the child.

I am not trying to play psychology expert but this is the point that people were calling you on. You are right in that parenting has a much smaller effect than you would logically think. Now getting back to the original point of this whole post. It was your position that Andy Reid could have done nothing in order to make this happen or not happen. I don't see anything you've posted that says that is true, even if his parenting skill wasn't the number one reason of drug use.

If you reread your original posts and then your responses then you will see what I am talking about. One of the things that I learned in psychology is that very few things in psychology are as concrete as your first reply in this thread seems to indicate.

I'm not sure what I've said that's contradictory. 5% isn't nothing, but it's not much either. The thread began by stipulating that ESPN was protecting Andy Reid, whose poor parenting skills were what led to his children being cretins. What I'm saying is that is probably not true, assuming that he has met the minimum parenting threshold. He could have been Danny Tanner or Ward Cleaver and they still probably would have gown up to be cretins.

As for saying that 5-10% could be the difference between an average or above-average student, like I said, there is a small effect. If you help your kid study for an exam, he'll probably do better, and that's a good thing. He'll get a better grade, you're improving his life, his self esteem, all that good stuff. But those are very particular instances, and small apples in the grand scheme of things. Your parenting isn't going to turn your child into a genius if he isn't going to become one already, regardless of how hard you try. It can only have some influence at the margins.

We're probably reaching the point of diminishing returns on this argument. But I cannot stress this enough: morally, the supremacy of genetics does not matter in the slightest when it comes to how we treat our children. Finally, this knowledge should come as a relief to most parents. For half a century, behavior scientists and Freudians had led parents to believe that every mistake a child made reflected a mistake in their upbringing. The failures of the child were the failures of the child-raising mechanism. If your child was of average intelligence, or a criminal, or aggressive, or not aggressive enough, it was your fault as a parent. We now know that's not true. Their mistakes are not yours as well. Unfortunately, neither are their successes, although it certainly shouldn't stop you from being proud when a child does well.

As a note, it was the Freudian psychologists who started the practice of splitting up identical twins for adoption in the 60s in the hopes of proving how important parenting and socialization are to the child. Needless to say, that backfired.

Interesting stuff Irish Boy. Both of my parents were not intellectually advanced, and my brother and I are about four years apart, but I ended up somewhat intellectually advanced and my brother is really behind. My mom tried everything she could to help him. Years later when I was older, we had gotten into this discussion and found that she was beating herself up greatly for how things turned out and I essentially told her how could she blame herself if she doesnt change her parenting between two children and yet one turns out differently then the other.

I am now faced with a similar issue as both my wife and I are educated and we are trying our best to foster our 3 year old to be successful. It is very hard because our definition of successful is far different then that of others. For me, if I can help my child to discover the one to five things she is best at and/or enjoys most, and she finds herself excelling in them, I feel I have done the best i can to make my child's life successful.

That being said, I feel a parent is generally best as a mentor/teacher, where there is both discipline and learning. I agree with you, we cant be directly responsible for success or failure, but we can teach and discipline while being a life counselor.