It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:56 am 

http://www.showbuzz.cbsnews.com/stories ... 8247.shtml

ESPN anchor Stuart Scott will return to the air Friday night after an emergency appendectomy last month revealed a malignant tumor.

Scott had to leave the Monday Night Football game between Miami and Pittsburgh on Nov. 26 to have his appendix removed. Doctors discovered the tumor during surgery and a second, precautionary surgery followed to eliminate surrounding tissue.

Scott will undergo preventive chemotherapy this winter.

"Stuart's doctors are confident they have removed the cancerous tissue," ESPN executive vice president Norby Williamson said. "He's assured his fans and friends and colleagues that he's going to continue to return to his assignments."

Scott plans to anchor Friday night's NBA doubleheader, and will begin hosting an NBA studio show on ABC on Christmas Day. Mark Jones, who has been handling some of the network's basketball coverage, will replace Scott if necessary.

"Talk about a shocker. But I feel good, am in great hands medically and the doctors are confident they got all the bad stuff," Scott said in a network release. "I'm not the type of guy to let this eat up my life. I've got strong faith and family and friends who are tackling this with me."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:20 pm 

I wish him good health...but I also wish him off the air. I cannot stand listening to or looking at the goof. I wish him well though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:15 am 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
The real shocker is that he has fans.

<ยบ)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:01 pm 

Chus wrote:
The real shocker is that he has fans.

No shit!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Duneland Pizza
Scott's as genuine as a three-dollar bill.
His style is overplayed. It seems rehearsed.
I really like another Scott -- Scott Van Pelt. He makes references to Family Guy and ATHF. He doesn't seem to fall in a love with a phrase and appears to keep things fresh.
Stuart Scott continues to chime in with his tired phrases. Move on, Stew.
The other thing that really bothered me about Scott was his attitude with contestants on "Stump the Schwab". On occasion, he would chide the contestants for their inability to remember specific names on a list. The only reason he knew the names is BECAUSE HE HAD THE ANSWERS!!!
Stu, just hug and hand-pump your co-workers as you exit the premises.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:31 pm 

pizza_Place: ***
He makes references to family guy? Talk about something that's played out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:42 pm 

You're right. I'd rather hear "Cool as the other side of the pillow" for the 1 millionth time.
Just because someone uses a Family Guy reference doesn't mean it's played out. If it's in reference to a recent episode, that's fresh in my book.
At least SVP does a better job than Linda Cohn's horrible "giggidy, giggidy, giggidy" attempt.
I like people who don't seem to have a signature line.
I also don't mind when someone breaks nostalgic. I believe it was Rece Davis who used a "Happy Days" reference to a tape of strikeouts from a baseball game. He kept saying, "Sit on it" and then he added Ralph, Potsie and even Mr. C - I believe. Thought that was kind of funny.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:04 pm 

pizza_Place: ***
If it's in a recent episode, I probably wouldn't get it, because Faimly Guy started to suck like a Dyson right after it came back from hiatus. It's lazy writing. "you remember the one time...[pop culture reference]." "this is like when [something stolen from you tube]." "Remember when Peter [reference to a commercial from the '80s." Repeat for 22 minutes, collect syndication checks, repeat.

Or this: Hey, remember when this character was funny, you know, the first time we brought him out, like Ollie the weatherman, or the deaf guy, or the vaudeville guy? Well, we're going to bring out one of them per episode, to remind you of how funny those jokes were the first time you saw it. Remember! Wasn't that hilarious! Now we're going to tall some joke that's not immediately funny, but we'll stretch it out for about 90 seconds, and by the end it'll be knee-slappingly hilarious, because everyone knows that bad joke + time = comedy gold.

Not to mention that the characters are more two-dimensional than a Pong paddle. Peter is dumb. Ha! Lois used to be more realistic, but then she became dumb, or a whore, or a nag, or whatever fits at the time (the same thing happened to Marge on the Simpsons, which ruined the character.)

The absolute worst character is Brian the dog, a thinly-veiled vehicle for the main writers to "show their geniusness." Get it, the dog is the smartest one! He reads books, and listens to opera, and follows politics. The only problem is that the writers don't know a damn thing about any of those topics, so their attempts to sound brilliant and witty fall flat to anyone who knows even the slightest thing about culture. Take, for example, the episode where Brian is trying to find a date as cultured as him. He's talking about opera, because he's cultured, and says something like "I really like the way Mozart used recitative." And the date is a ditz and doesn't know what that means, so you laugh. But here's the thing; what Brian said is one of the most vapid things anyone could say about any opera. Recitative just means "the speaking parts." It'd be like me telling you about a play, "I really liked the dialogue." OK. Any more deep thoughts for us, Mr. Culture. The joke is predicated upon you being dumber than them.

So if you are trying to tell me his main claim to hipness and being in the know is his Family Guy references, well then I'm telling you I'd rather lick a light socket.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Geo's Pizza
That is because the Family Guy writers are manatees.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:28 pm 

Nice catch Hoffy. We both can see where Irish Boy might have picked up some of his opinions.
I still find the show to be very funny. The stuff with the Herbert continues to make me laugh. Does every joke resonate with me -- no -- but I still find their comments humorous. Blue Harvest was very funny. I don't believe these guys think they're above it all -- or lazy. Just look at the Blue Harvest stuff. They make fun of themselves for being Star Wars geeks, and they didn't use your formula either.
Do yourself a favor and rent it. I think you might be surprised.
You're right, the 30-minute shows are formulaic. South Park doesn't have a formula -- please -- (They killed Kenny, you bastards!). Eric Cartman is going to do or say something hateful.
The Simpsons, Homer does something else stupid.
I still enjoy all three shows, and all three do things a little differently -- which is fine with me.
I never said that SVP was hip. I'm just saying that he just doesn't stick with a few references and drive them into the ground -- like Scott does.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:47 pm 

not to borrow another played out catch phrase, but ESPN has jumped the shark for about 5 years by my watch.

I pretty much use yahoo sports for info and the sports blogs for entertainment (kissing suzy kolber, awful announcing, fire joe morgan, deadspin, et, al.)

sabu