It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Is Anyone Watching?
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 12:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
Here's a topic that likely won't get much interest locally, but there are some sports that get national attention for reasons I can't put my finger on. NBC Sports has millions invested in the Preakness Stakes tomorrow, while we all know that FOX Sports has billions invested in Major League Baseball & NASCAR's Sprint Cup Series, resuming next Sunday with the Coca-Cola 600. If that's not enough, TNT, ESPN & ABC Sports have the NBA Playoffs, while ABC also has the return of the WNBA tomorrow, and next Sunday's running of the Indianapolis 500. Let's not forget about CBS Sports & the PGA. All of that will be on this weekend nationally, and all I know is that the networks have millions invested all of these whether we're watching or not... It actually leads me to asking, which sports league or major event do you least care about on the national level?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 12:03 pm 

NHL Playoffs. I'm just not into hockey.

Post subject: Is Anyone Watching?
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 12:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
I forgot about the NHL Playoffs. Even though the Blackhawks came to life this past season, only to come a few games short of the playoffs, the NHL has been surpassed by NASCAR. While I mentioned that FOX Sports has billions invested in the Sprint Cup Series, NASCAR signed an 8-year deal with them, along with TNT, ESPN & ABC Sports to carry the races. The Nationwide (Formerly the Busch) Series can be found on ESPN2 & ABC for the most part. As for the NHL, they have a crap TV deal in this country. Ever since ESPN cancelled its contract with the NHL following the lockout, most people can't find Versus, the former Outdoor Life Network, on their cable or satellite. NBC Sports' deal with the NHL does not include a rights' fee. I also think because the Blackhawks & Bulls aren't in the NHL or NBA Playoffs respectively, interest in the two winter sports tends to all but disappear around here. Finally, I think you'd recognize Dale Earnhardt, Jr. or Jeff Gordon on a street corner more than the Penguins' Sidney Crosby.