It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mark Grace
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:29 pm 

Hope he gets a offer to join the Cubs booth, if Brenly ever gets another mangers job.

Post subject: Re: Mark Grace
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:31 pm 

I will 2nd that motion

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
Of the former Cubs currently on the MLB/FOX Sports payroll, Mark Grace has a brighter future than Eric Karros does. Mark seems to enjoy what he does for FOX, whether it's sandwiched in between studio host Jeanne Zalesko & analyst Kevin Kennedy in the confines of the FOX Television Center in Hollywood or working an actual game broadcast with Thom Brennaman calling the White Sox/Cubs' game at U.S. Cellular Field. Within 5 years, Mark will either fill out a lineup card as a future MLB manager or he'll replace Ron Santo alongside Pat Hughes in the WGN 720/Cubs' Radio Network broadcast booth. Anyone who replaces the inept Santo will be an upgrade!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:23 am 

schmitty1121 wrote:
Hope he gets a offer to join the Cubs booth, if Brenly ever gets another mangers job.

+1. I still have a picture of a rookie Mark Grace picture I won at Haunted Trails when I was about 8.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:14 am 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
How is this for a prediction...Ryne Sandburg takes over for Lou Pinella in the dugout and Grace takes Santo's spot in the 'GN Booth

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:43 am 

Grace is fine as a broadcaster...and I love that he seems to genuinly love Chicago. With that, I guess I'd be ok with him as an announcer.

My fear with that...is that his "legend", such that it ISN'T, will continue to grow. I was not a very big fan of his when he played. He batted in the three hole forever and not once did he drive in 100 runs. I thought he was pretty Un-clutch except for the 89 playoff series.

When I think of him at the plate...I see the a weak fly out...his stupid little drop of the bat & head as he runs down to first...and the most annoying "jog" back into the dugout. He used to piss me off something wicked.

That all said...he was a stud defensivley...and that can't be argued.

My two cents.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:46 am 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
he was good offensively and when they had a good team around him he did his job well...there's nothing legendary about him, but he hit coming off the bus his rookie year and until he got to Arizona, he was as consistant as a Stat-o-Matic card...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:16 pm 

Any idea if FOX Sports is sending Grace to call tomorrow's Cubs/Cardinals' game at Wrigley Field? If Mark's not in the FOX Television Center with Jeanne Zelasko & Kevin Kennedy for the network's pregame, it's another ex-Cub in Eric Karros who's in Hollywood. Just wondering...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:17 pm 

I too stay up many nights wondering about Eric Karros...and people laugh when I tell them the '03 Cubs gave me insomnia...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:21 pm 

And I thought the "ex-Cub factor" was just on the field... :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:02 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Grace is very guilty of using the baseball announcer voice. You know that overly modulated announcer voice?

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
Darkside wrote:
Grace is very guilty of using the baseball announcer voice. You know that overly modulated announcer voice?

Yeah, Joe Carter used to do the same thing.

Kid Cairo: 2013 March Madness Tournament Winner!

"Cowabunga? Cowa fucking piece of dog shit! This game is diarrhea coming out of my dick!"

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:28 pm 

ouch...comparing Mark to Joe CARTER?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:09 pm 

When Joe Carter was in the Cubs' television booth, he & Dave Otto were brutal splitting the duties between WGN & the defunct FOX Sports Net Chicago. Then again, Chip Caray wasn't much better. In fact, Turner Sports made a mistake naming Chip as the voice of TBS' new Sunday afternoon "Game of the Week" that thankfully was blacked out last Sunday. Just like Joe, Chip's terrible, even as TBS has traded in Braves' games for a national package.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:57 am 

Grace seems to do an adequate job in the booth, but he is brutal in the studio on that Fox show. He is fairly awkward, which I could live with if he was providing some interesting or helpful substance. He's not, though. The self-deprecating remarks get a little old - I don't think for a second that he really believes them. We all know that he was a pretty good ballplayer for a long time.

I also find it hard to look at his face on that show. I'm sure he has put on some lbs since he retired, but he has the face of a 400-pounder. I don't think the goatee is helping, either. It is a little disturbing to me.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:15 pm 

During the regular season, Mark Grace & Eric Karros alternated seats in between Jeanne Zelasko & Kevin Kennedy on the FOX Sports' MLB pregame show at the network's studios in Los Angeles. Whenever Grace was calling a game, Karros was in the studio, and vice versa...Just like "The SCORE's" Matt Abbatacola on the uneven NBC 5 "Sports Sunday: The Postgame Show" last week, Mark needs a razor...That goatee does nothing!