It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
Fans, we're about 2 months away from the start of the 2008 season, but come this fall, we're going to need a scorecard to keep up with the changes in the NFL studio shows. It's already been revealed that former New York Giant Michael Strahan will be joining Curt Menefee, Terry Bradshaw, Howie Long, Jimmy Johnson, Jay Glazer, Frank Caliendo & Jillian Barberie-Reynolds on the Los Angeles set of "FOX NFL Sunday". USA Today reported yesterday that Bob Costas & Dan Marino have been booted from "Inside the NFL" when it relocates from HBO to Showtime this fall. Costas has been replaced on the "show the pros watch" by James Brown, the host of CBS' "NFL Today," according to Sean McManus, President of CBS News & Sports. Now, it's been revealed that Dan Patrick, nearly a year removed from ESPN, will reunite with MSNBC "Countdown" host Keith Olbermann on NBC Sports' "Football Night in America" before the network's "Sunday Night Football" game. Although Costas will continue to host "Football Night", NBC Sports bosses are hopeful that Dan & Keith can reunite the chemistry they had on "SportsCenter" from 1992 to '97. Dan & Keith previously devoted a full hour of his former ESPN Radio show nicknamed "The Big Show". All the changes take place in September.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Langel's
USA Today reported yesterday that Bob Costas & Dan Marino have been booted from "Inside the NFL" when it relocates from HBO to Showtime this fall.

Shark- Thanks for the info on "Inside The NFL". I loved that show and I was pissed when I found out that HBO cancelled it. I cancelled HBO shortly after. Looks like I'll be adding Showtime even though I can't really afford it. :D

The Original Kid Cairo wrote:
I once jerked in a chicken truck, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Little Caesar's
I wonder who'll replace Marino on there. Also, will Cris (no h) Carter still be on there? Maybe Brian Bosworth will be rewarded for saving that chick's life with a job.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:13 pm 

Maybe Brian Bosworth will be rewarded for saving that chick's life with a job.

I missed that. What did Brian Bosworth do?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:18 pm 

Nevermind. I saw the story. Reading is definitely a skill. :oops:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:58 pm 

No sooner did "Inside the NFL" get cancelled by HBO, Cris Carter landed new work right away. He's one of the many talking heads at ESPN, joining the likes of Mike Golic, Mike Ditka, Tom Jackson, Eric Allen, Emmitt Smith, Steve Young & Keyshawn Johnson on their depth chart. Carter replaces ex-quarterback Sean Salisbury, whose own ESPN contract was NOT renewed less than a year after he bailed out on that midday show he hosted with the Tribune's Steve Rosenbloom on ESPN Radio 1000 to concentrate on television full time. As for what really happened, HBO Sports Executive Producer Ross Greenburg claims "Inside" became expendable because of all the NFL coverage now available throughout the week. "Inside" was cancelled by HBO the week of the conference championship games, and the show's former hosts were caught off guard by the pay cable network's decision to pull the plug. One last thing, it was Chiefs' tight end Tony Gonzalez who saved someone's life over the weekend choking on some food.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:55 pm 

SHARK wrote:
No sooner did "Inside the NFL" get cancelled by HBO, Cris Carter landed new work right away. He's one of the many talking heads at ESPN, joining the likes of Mike Golic, Mike Ditka, Tom Jackson, Eric Allen, Emmitt Smith, Steve Young & Keyshawn Johnson on their depth chart. Carter replaces ex-quarterback Sean Salisbury, whose own ESPN contract was NOT renewed less than a year after he bailed out on that midday show he hosted with the Tribune's Steve Rosenbloom on ESPN Radio 1000 to concentrate on television full time. As for what really happened, HBO Sports Executive Producer Ross Greenburg claims "Inside" became expendable because of all the NFL coverage now available throughout the week. "Inside" was cancelled by HBO the week of the conference championship games, and the show's former hosts were caught off guard by the pay cable network's decision to pull the plug. One last thing, it was Chiefs' tight end Tony Gonzalez who saved someone's life over the weekend choking on some food.

I know he did, but Boz saved a chick from a flipped car.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
Maybe it wasn't as good as I remember, but I really miss the days of The NFL Today with Brent Musberger, Irv Cross, and Phyllis George.

The current shows have too many people and too much phony laughter and back-slapping, imo.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:24 pm 

Yeah, I'm old enough to remember when Brent Musburger hosted "The NFL Today" when CBS Sports had the Bears & the NFC package. "You are looking live," Brent would say. If I remember correctly, Brent, Irv Cross, Phyllis George, the late Jimmy "the Greek" Snyder & even Jayne Kennedy all co-hosted "The NFL Today" from the network's New York studios. This was also the first pregame show that the late Will McDonough from the Boston Globe would appear before joining Bob Costas & crew on NBC Sports' pre "Football Night in America" show in the '80s. It was only 30 minutes instead of the hourlong pregame before kickoff that James Brown and company host these days... If I'm not mistaken, ESPN/ABC's Sean McDonough is Will's son...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:48 pm 

SHARK wrote:
Yeah, I'm old enough to remember when Brent Musburger hosted "The NFL Today" when CBS Sports had the Bears & the NFC package. "You are looking live," Brent would say. If I remember correctly, Brent, Irv Cross, Phyllis George, the late Jimmy "the Greek" Snyder & even Jayne Kennedy all co-hosted "The NFL Today" from the network's New York studios.

A couple of months ago I was visiting my aunt and we had watched the Bears '85 NFC playoff (PLAYOFFS?!?) domination of the Rams and Giants and I got to see that. Something that was great was that there were a lot less commercial breaks, the breaks were shorter (usually 3 commercials per break), and they weren't repetative.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
pre- and post-game shows suck. especially post-game shows. i just watched the game! i dont need those guys telling me what i just watched with my own eyes. i tune in 1 minute before kickoff and click off instantly afterwards. i cant stand watching terry and jimmy and howie slapping each other on the backs and yucking it up.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:48 pm 

As popular as "FOX NFL Sunday" has been over the years, I think Terry Bradshaw has been overly caffeinated on the show, despite admitting to have been depressed off the air.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:04 pm 

Colonel Angus wrote:
I wonder who'll replace Marino on there. Also, will Cris (no h) Carter still be on there? Maybe Brian Bosworth will be rewarded for saving that chick's life with a job.

I think it's JB, Chris Collinsworth, and Boomer Esiason.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:11 pm 

Bulldog Scott wrote:
Colonel Angus wrote:

I think it's JB, Chris Collinsworth, and Boomer Esiason.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:17 pm 

I believe you are correct about the new look lineup of "Inside the NFL" when it moves to Showtime this September. James Brown, host of CBS Sports' "NFL Today", will replace Bob Costas on the "show the pros watch". I think Boomer Esiason is the only other newcomer with NBC Sports' outspoken Cris Collinsworth being retained on "Inside". Cris Carter can be found among the countless talking heads this football season on ESPN. He replaced Sean Salisbury, whose contract was NOT renewed.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:40 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
SHARK wrote:
As popular as "FOX NFL Sunday" has been over the years, I think Terry Bradshaw has been overly caffeinated on the show, despite admitting to have been depressed off the air.

Back before the NFL cracked down on such things, there were some NFL Today clips on youtube with Terry Bradshaw hosting. He seemed much more professional on there, and not the cartoon character that Fox presents us for our enjoyment.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:58 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Giordano's (Stuffed)
I miss the old NFL Primetime with all the highlights, despite Chris Berman hosting that show.

Football Night in America on NBC had the potential to be great, but they keep trying to add too many bells and whistles to the show. Keep it simple guys, you are targeting football fans.

Can't stand Keith Overbight these days. He's not even a sports guy anymore... full fledged political left wing nutjob.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:02 pm 

I think "NFL PrimeTime" is still on ESPN, but I think it's now part of that weekly countdown to "Monday Night Football" during football season.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:06 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Martin wrote:
Football Night in America on NBC had the potential to be great, but they keep trying to add too many bells and whistles to the show. Keep it simple guys, you are targeting football fans.

I agree completely. They only need Costas, Collinsworth, and then maybe, I dunno, Peter King? I generally don't care what Jerome Bettis or Tiki Barber thinks.