Post subject: Billy Packer - HE GONE!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:27 am 

http://www.miamiherald.com/626/story/603901.html

Should have happened years ago.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:17 am 

B and B should have some fun with this.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:22 am 

pizza_Place: Duneland Pizza
Was this just an epiphany by management or did he have another incident?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:23 am 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
I met him once...if he was as abrasive with CBS suits as he was with me, they're throwing a party today...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:24 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
good dolphin wrote:

Definitely. I remember they had him on in 2005 when the Illini were marching through the tournament. Billy Packer quit the interview midway through and handed the phone to Dick Enberg, who they proceeded to have a much better interview with. Packer came across as a five-alarm jackass during that interview.

Kid Cairo: 2013 March Madness Tournament Winner!

"Cowabunga? Cowa fucking piece of dog shit! This game is diarrhea coming out of my dick!"

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:37 am 

The Original Kid Cairo wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Definitely. I remember they had him on in 2005 when the Illini were marching through the tournament. Billy Packer quit the interview midway through and handed the phone to Dick Enberg, who they proceeded to have a much better interview with. Packer came across as a five-alarm jackass during that interview.

that's always the best B & B interviews...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:44 am 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
Billy Packer has always acted & sounded as if he's bigger than the game of NCAA Basketball he had called for 34 years, the last 27 of which for CBS Sports. I'm not sure how Brent Musburger, Gary Bender & Jim Nantz tolerated his act for so long, but it's long overdue that CBS finally pulled the plug. Clark Kellogg has done a solid job working the network's "Road to the Final Four" studio show in recent years with Greg Gumbel & Sports Illustrated's Seth Davis, and he'll do very well with Nantz as the new lead analyst. He's also been a regular pulling up a chair with ESPN 1000's "Mac, Jurko & Harry" breaking down the college game.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:56 am 

He came off as an arrogant prick. I wont be shedding any tears for him.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:57 am 

Good. If we can somehow lose Digger Phelps from college basketball television then all will be right with the world.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:14 pm 

There's another guy I could live without...I think Digger Phelps is absolutely annoying on ESPN's "College GameDay" during the basketball season, and I thought he was overrated when he coached Notre Dame before they became part of the Big East Conference...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:23 pm 

SHARK wrote:
There's another guy I could live without...I think Digger Phelps is absolutely annoying on ESPN's "College GameDay" during the basketball season, and I thought he was overrated when he coached Notre Dame before they became part of the Big East Conference...

The only enjoyable thing is when Jay Bilas makes him look foolish by actually understanding and knowing college basketball. Bilas may be an ACC homer at times, but he knows his stuff and backs it up. Digger Phelps seems to be making it up as he goes along.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:27 pm 

He needs to be shown the door as well, mediocre as a coach and worse as a broadcaster. The "Tie-lighter" shtick is lame as hell. I searched for his contract terms quickly but didn't find them.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:50 pm 

Some refer to Jay Bilas as "Jay Bias" given his connections to Duke & the ACC, but I think he's as solid and insightful as they come in NCAA Basketball whether it's with ESPN or on CBS Sports during the Tournament in March.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:51 pm 

bad news, I'm pretty sure he's got at least a year left...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
The Original Kid Cairo wrote:

Didn't Packer throw all their crap right back and them and make them look silly? IIRC, American Factotum or someone uploaded and posted links to the interviews.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
Tad Queasy wrote:
Didn't Packer throw all their crap right back and them and make them look silly? IIRC, American Factotum or someone uploaded and posted links to the interviews.

No. They brought up some of his personality issues that have been documented by a lot of people and Terry & Dan even brought up situations that they saw for themselves. Packer was very defensive from start to finish. If anybody looked silly it was him. He came out of the interview looking like a spoiled 5 year-old.

Kid Cairo: 2013 March Madness Tournament Winner!

"Cowabunga? Cowa fucking piece of dog shit! This game is diarrhea coming out of my dick!"