It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
Folks, with Major League Baseball's Postseason right around the corner, I have learned at awfulannouncing.com who Turner/TBS Sports plan on utilizing for the first round of its playoff coverage. The actual assignments will be announced when we get closer to when the playoffs actually begin.
Play by Play: Chip Caray, Dick Stockton, Don Orsillo (PBP of the Boston Red Sox) & Brian Anderson (PBP of the Milwaukee Brewers, not the White Sox centerfielder who SHOULD be playing!)
Game Analysts: Ron Darling, Buck Martinez, Tony Gwynn, Atlanta Braves' pitcher John Smoltz, Joe Simpson & Harold Reynolds
Field Reporters: Craig Sager, Marc Fein, David Aldridge & Sports Illustrated's Tom Verducci
Atlanta Studio: Ernie Johnson, Cal Ripken, Jr., Dennis Eckersley & Detroit Tigers' outfielder Curtis Granderson
ESPN Radio 1000 will have the bulk of the MLB playoffs via ESPN Radio nationally, except for a few conflicts with Chicago Bulls' preseason basketball next month.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:06 am 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Here's hoping Sager wears some crazy suits to the ballpark...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:35 pm 

lipidquadcab wrote:
Here's hoping Sager wears some crazy suits to the ballpark...

Seeing Craig work the sidelines for years at Turner Sports, I won't be shocked if he goes into Norm Van Lier & Arsenio Hall's closet... :lol: Arsenio wore some loud suits when he hosted that late night talk show in the '90s, and Norm constantly outdresses & outclasses Mark Schanowski on Comcast SportsNet's Bulls' Pre & Postgame...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:01 am 

pizza_Place: Little Caesar's
Jesus Christ, Dick Stockton!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:29 am 

pizza_Place: Milano's
So basically the same people they had last year?

It's weird seeing Ernie Johnson involved with baseball....

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:31 am 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
on the also weird list: Brad Daughtery doing NASCAR...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:46 pm 

City of Fools wrote:
on the also weird list: Brad Daughtery doing NASCAR...

City, it's not related to this post, but as far as I know, Daughtery is actually a NASCAR owner. Remember, before he played NBA Basketball & got injured with the Cleveland Cavaliers, long before LeBron James, Brad played his college basketball at North Carolina...NASCAR is HUGE down on "Tobacco Road"...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:47 pm 

Daughtery is bad bad bad bad. He is absolutely the worst guy to ever pick up a microphone for any NASCAR event.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
SHARK wrote:
City, it's not related to this post, but as far as I know, Daughtery is actually a NASCAR owner. Remember, before he played NBA Basketball & got injured with the Cleveland Cavaliers, long before LeBron James, Brad played his college basketball at North Carolina...NASCAR is HUGE down on "Tobacco Road"...

Wait! You mean Brad Daugherty never played with LeBron? I could've sworn LeBron was guarding Jordan in '89 and '93 when Mike hit those series-winning jumpers.

*Disclaimer: Do not correct me SHARK. My post was intended to be sarcastic. Why? Because everybody fucking knows Brad Daugherty played long before LeBron James got to the Cavs? Thanks for wasting more keystrokes.

Kid Cairo: 2013 March Madness Tournament Winner!

"Cowabunga? Cowa fucking piece of dog shit! This game is diarrhea coming out of my dick!"

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:53 pm 

on the plus side (rim shot) his gigantic rear end acts as an anchor to hold down the trailer the studio is in...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:56 pm 

The fact ESPN/ABC Sports hired Brad Daughtery to work on its NASCAR coverage scratches my head too...I'm also scratching my head over TBS' list to work its upcoming MLB playoff games. I wonder if John Smoltz, a frequent guest on the "NEW Dan Patrick Show", is looking ahead to life after his playing career ends. Should the White Sox get in to Bud Selig's Playoff Party to play the Rays, for instance, TBS might send him & Brian Anderson (NOT the one who should be playing for the Sox) to call the Divisional Series...Finally, TBS is hoping to breath new life into its studio show between games with the Tigers' Curtis Granderson joining Ernie Johnson and the folks in Atlanta...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:58 pm 

The more SHARK posts, the dumber I get. I didn't think that was possible.

"Cowabunga? Cowa fucking piece of dog shit! This game is diarrhea coming out of my dick!"

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:05 pm 

SHARK wrote:
The fact ESPN/ABC Sports hired Brad Daughtery to work on its NASCAR coverage scratches my head too...

Why would hiring a co-owner of a NASCAR racing team as an analyst for a NASCAR racing show be cause to scratch your head? Hiring the center for the Cleveland Cavaliers with no racing ties or knowledge doesn't make any sense, but that's just not the case.
Jason Priestley owns an Indy racing team and has been a commentator on ABC for Indy racing. How is that possible? He's an actor.
I'll hang up and listen for my answer.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:14 pm 

Westmont Mike, it was actually mentioned during an ESPN broadcast that Brad Daughtery owns a NASCAR team. Then again, FOX Sports' #1 NFL analyst Troy Aikman, Hall of Fame Cowboy QB Roger Staubach, Troy's FOX/NFL teammate Terry Bradshaw, Hall of Fame NFL coach Joe Gibbs, and New England Patriots' receiver Randy Moss all own NASCAR teams in the Sprint Cup, the Nationwide Series (formerly the Busch Series), & the Craftsman Truck Series respectively...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:17 pm 

SHARK wrote:
Westmont Mike, it was actually mentioned during an ESPN broadcast that Brad Daughtery owns a NASCAR team. Then again, FOX Sports' #1 NFL analyst Troy Aikman, Hall of Fame Cowboy QB Roger Staubach, Troy's FOX/NFL teammate Terry Bradshaw, Hall of Fame NFL coach Joe Gibbs, and New England Patriots' receiver Randy Moss all own NASCAR teams in the Sprint Cup, the Nationwide Series (formerly the Busch Series), & the Craftsman Truck Series respectively...

I know he owns a NASCAR team. I asked why you would scratch your head that he (the co-owner of a Nascar team) was hired as an analyst.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:20 pm 

WestmontMike wrote:
SHARK wrote:

I know he owns a NASCAR team. I asked why you would scratch your head that he (the co-owner of a Nascar team) was hired as an analyst.

When I think the name Brad Daughtery, I don't think NASCAR analyst... 'Nuff said... :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:21 pm 

ok, maybe with the owner ties it makes more sense. He's still a stiff.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Lanny Poffo's Sausage and More
The TBS lineup smells like my ass after El Famous Burrito. F**K this. How is this the best MLB has to offer? The baseball part of the letdown last year was bad enough (AZ v Cubs). But Ron Darling and Dick Stockton??? Hopefully, the Cubs will get the A-Team of Brian Baldinger and the ninth Albert brother. S**t.

I would cover for SHARK, Drop In, Dave in Champaign, my Mom, and Urlacher's Missing Neck. After that, the list gets pretty thin. There are a few people about whom I would definitely fabricate charges.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:10 pm 

I'm not enamored one bit with TBS Sports' game plan for its second postseason either. You know what I think of Dick Stockton and the fact he is "The NEW Curse of Chicago Sports" whenever he calls one of our teams. Chip Caray was terrible when he was here calling Cubs' games, and wasn't much better whenever TBS had an Atlanta Braves' game scheduled. Chip's so bad, Maxim magazine earlier this year ranked him one of the "Worst Broadcasters in Sports". I'm also not familiar with Don Orsillo, let alone Brian Anderson as play-by-play men. I'd rather have Matt Vasgersian, the part time voice of the San Diego Padres, or even the Cubs' current PBP, Len Kasper, calling postseason baseball on the "Very Funny" Atlanta-based Superstation. At least I've heard of Matt & Len...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:43 pm 

Do any of you guys ever say "screw the announcers" and just watch the game? Seriously.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:19 pm 

I'll probably watch the games with the sound muted, and ESPN Radio 1000 will have the bulk of the MLB playoff games with the exception of a couple of Bulls' preseason games along the way. They've yet to set the broadcast schedule for the Bulls' preseason games, but I think there will be at least 2 potential nights where you'd find ESPN Radio's MLB playoff coverage on another station in town...:wink:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:24 pm 

The Original Kid Cairo wrote:
Do any of you guys ever say "screw the announcers" and just watch the game? Seriously.

With XM, I will be able to watch the game and listen to the local team radio call. If you think the TBS lineup (or Ron Santo) is bad, try listening to some other local radio guys. If Harry Kalas doesn't work alone, they do a good job of stifling his sidekick. The TV guys are not as bad as you think--but I would like to see a Sam Rosen get a call from the network suits (sarcism intended).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Little Caesar's
The Original Kid Cairo wrote:
Do any of you guys ever screw the announcers? Seriously.

:lol:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:51 pm 

Good one Colonel. :thumleft:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:12 pm 

i hated TBS's coverage last year...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:20 pm 

W_Z wrote:
i hated TBS's coverage last year...

I have blocked last years playoffs from memory.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
Panther pislA wrote:
How could anybody have a beef with SHARK?

His posts read like the ESPN2 Ticker.

My ESPN ticker is only one line deep... do you get a different cable feed?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:15 pm 

As long as TBS Sports doesn't assign Dick Stockton to call the Cubs/Dodgers' series that starts Wednesday, that'll be good. Then again, Chip Caray isn't much better, but he is the #1 voice for TBS Baseball, for what it's worth...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Viccinos Pizza in Downtown Glenview.
SHARK wrote:
As long as TBS Sports doesn't assign Dick Stockton to call the Cubs/Dodgers' series that starts Wednesday, that'll be good. Then again, Chip Caray isn't much better, but he is the #1 voice for TBS Baseball, for what it's worth...

Silvy said earlier that the recently embombed Stockton will be on the call for the Cubs/Dodgers.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:11 pm 

buryman wrote:
SHARK wrote:

Silvy said earlier that the recently embombed Stockton will be on the call for the Cubs/Dodgers.

I just checked it out on awfulannouncing.com, and the "Curse of Chicago Sports" will call the Cubs/Dodgers' series on TBS Sports with Ron Darling & Tony Gwynn. You know what that means, folks...No Cubs' World Series title for the 100th straight year! :( Also, Red Sox voice Don Orsillo has been assigned the Twins/White Sox winner at Tampa Bay starting @ 1:30p Thursday at Tropicana Field. Harold Reynolds, who was one of the few national baseball talking heads NOT on the Cubs' bandwagon, will analyze that series on TBS. For those who care, Chip Caray got the Red Sox/Angels' series assignment starting Wednesday in Anaheim.