It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: NBA/ESPN New Hires
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
Fans, we may be in full-blown football mode right now here in Chicago, but there is news concerning ESPN adding two more talking heads to its upcoming NBA coverage, according to awfulannouncing.com. One of the new hires is Earvin "Magic" Johnson, who had been with Turner/TNT Sports on its popular "Inside the NBA" postgame show with Ernie Johnson, Jr., Kenny Smith & Charles Barkley. "Magic" will join Stuart Scott, Mike Wilbon & Jon Barry on the "NBA Countdown" pregame show on ABC, starting on Christmas Day. The other new hire isn't much of a surprise, as Avery Johnson will join the network as a studio analyst, and likely will be seen on that same show before ESPN's Friday Night NBA doubleheader. I also think Avery will spend the bulk of his time at ESPNEWS in the role that Rick Carlisle had before replacing Avery as the Dallas Mavericks' new head coach. I'm not surprised that Avery decided to do TV after the Chicago Bulls & New York Knicks weren't as interested in meeting his asking price to become their new head coach. One name that will stick around is Jeff Van Gundy, who has signed an extension as ESPN/ABC's #1 game analyst.

Post subject: Re: NBA/ESPN New Hires
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's
SHARK wrote:
I'm not surprised that Avery decided to do TV after the Chicago Bulls & New York Knicks weren't as interested in meeting his asking price to become their new head coach.

So money is the reason he isn't coaching right now?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
the only reason he had a job in the first place was Nellie. Once Del left, Avery looked pretty much like a wallflower as the Mavs lost again and again...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
Bagels wrote:
SHARK wrote:
I'm not surprised that Avery decided to do TV after the Chicago Bulls & New York Knicks weren't as interested in meeting his asking price to become their new head coach.

So money is the reason he isn't coaching right now?

Bagels, Avery's supposed to earn $12 million by the Dallas Mavericks the next 2 years NOT to coach. Despite his winning record, I felt all summer that Avery wasn't going to coach any team, contrary to all the published reports that he would coach another team next season. If another coaching opportunity comes to fruition in the next 12 months, Avery will certainly be considered & he'll definitely bolt Bristol, CT.