It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: "Rain Delay Theater"
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
If anyone was listening to Game 3 of the World Series this past Saturday night, the start of the Rays/Phillies' game in Philadelphia was delayed by 91 minutes due to rain. To kill time, ESPN Radio nationally provided "Rain Delay Theater" sure to make Cub fans even more aggravated. It was what described as an "ESPN Radio Classic", as Dan Shulman & Dave "Soup" Campbell provided the descriptions of the infamous game between the Cubs & Florida Marlins in the 2003 National League Championship Series at Wrigley Field. Yes, fans, the "Bartman Game". Talk about a punch to the stomach!

Post subject: Re: "Rain Delay Theater"
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
SHARK wrote:
Talk about a punch to the stomach!

OK, I will. The stomach is a J-shaped hollow muscular organ of the gastrointestinal tract involved in the second phase of digestion. More often than not, in common conversation, people refer to their "stomach" as the general area of the midsection of the body. A punch is a thrusting blow, often performed with the fist. A punch to the stomach generally will result in some amount of pain for the recipient, although brusing and swelling will normally remain minimal.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:12 pm 

newper wrote:
SHARK wrote:
Talk about a punch to the stomach!

OK, I will. The stomach is a J-shaped hollow muscular organ of the gastrointestinal tract involved in the second phase of digestion. More often than not, in common conversation, people refer to their "stomach" as the general area of the midsection of the body. A punch is a thrusting blow, often performed with the fist. A punch to the stomach generally will result in some amount of pain for the recipient, although brusing and swelling will normally remain minimal.

:oops: :oops: :oops: Truth be told, what I meant was hearing the call of the Cubs/Marlins' game from 2003 while the Rays/Phillies were delayed by rain... :oops: :oops: :oops:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
continuing on, most of the time, when in a defensive posture, a fighter may be a bit more likely to protect themselves from a "punch to the face", rendering themselves more vulnerable to the "punch to the stomach". while the "punch to the face" can result in a more damaging blow initially, continued "punches to the stomach" can have longer lasting effect, causing the recipient to be unable to breathe properly, and be rendered incapable of continuing. while "punch to the face" and "punch to the stomach" are effective, "punch to the throat" and "punch to the balls" can also have devastating results.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
I would also like to add that "a punch to the stomach" could conceivably be interpreted as someone drinking one of a wide assortment of mixed drinks, either soft or alcoholic, generally containing fruit or fruit juice. Literally the "punch" would go through your digestive system to your stomach. This is not the usual parlance of our day, however.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:24 pm 

newper wrote:
I would also like to add that "a punch to the stomach" could conceivably be interpreted as someone drinking one of a wide assortment of mixed drinks, either soft or alcoholic, generally containing fruit or fruit juice. Literally the "punch" would go through your digestive system to your stomach. This is not the usual parlance of our day, however.

:lol:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:27 pm 

man of few opinions wrote:
newper wrote:

:lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I thought fans would be turned off by hearing ESPN Radio replay a Cubs/Marlins' NLCS game from '03 that added to the team's misery...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:35 pm 

i am with you 100% on that one, that would be very unpleasant.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:28 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
SHARK wrote:
If anyone was listening to Game 3 of the World Series this past Saturday night, the start of the Rays/Phillies' game in Philadelphia was delayed by 91 minutes due to rain. To kill time, ESPN Radio nationally provided "Rain Delay Theater" sure to make Cub fans even more aggravated. It was what described as an "ESPN Radio Classic", as Dan Shulman & Dave "Soup" Campbell provided the descriptions of the infamous game between the Cubs & Florida Marlins in the 2003 National League Championship Series at Wrigley Field. Yes, fans, the "Bartman Game". Talk about a punch to the stomach!

Here's a suggestion: find something else to do!

Kid Cairo: 2013 March Madness Tournament Winner!

"Cowabunga? Cowa fucking piece of dog shit! This game is diarrhea coming out of my dick!"

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:32 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
A Cubs game on the radio this late in October? Wow!

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:02 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
A Cubs game on the radio this late in October? Wow!

It was the strangest thing, Frank... :shock: I was flipping around on my Walkman when ESPN Radio aired it...