It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
Fans, MLB Network launches its own 24/7 baseball channel January 1st, and according to one of my favorite new Web sites, awfulannouncing.com, they've made their first official hire. It's not Bob Costas as had been mentioned, but the site reports that Matt Vasgersian has been tapped as the face of the new network. Matt has decided to leave his main job as the play-by-play voice of the San Diego Padres to become the MLBN's lead studio host and occasional PBP voice when it launches New Year's Day 2009. He's the same Matt who worked with NFL Hall of Famer Lawrence Taylor on FX's "Toughman" series, also the lead PBP of Vince McMahon's short-lived XFL & the voice of "National Heads Up Poker" on NBC Sports, plus has also called NFL football, MLB, and has also been one of the voices of the Bowl Championship Series on FOX Sports on a regional level. Finally, had it not been for Len Kasper, fans, Matt would've been the PBP of the Cubs on TV after Chip Caray left for Atlanta to work with his late father, Skip, calling the Braves & now the lead announcer on TBS Sports' MLB coverage.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:28 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Matt Vasgersian qualifies as "major" in sports media nowadays? Yikes..

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:46 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Matt Vasgersian qualifies as "major" in sports media nowadays? Yikes..

Frank, look on the bright side...I can tolerate Matt Vasgersian a lot more than I can stomach Chip Caray...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
SHARK wrote:
Frank, look on the bright side...I can tolerate Matt Vasgersian a lot more than I can stomach Chip Caray...

Maybe you should start watching sports with the sound turned off. That way, you won't have to incorporate your opinions of announcers into every thread you post in.

Kid Cairo: 2013 March Madness Tournament Winner!

"Cowabunga? Cowa fucking piece of dog shit! This game is diarrhea coming out of my dick!"

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:53 pm 

The Original Kid Cairo wrote:
SHARK wrote:

Maybe you should start watching sports with the sound turned off. That way, you won't have to incorporate your opinions of announcers into every thread you post in.

I actually do, but sometimes, our own guys can be terrible to listen to, Kid. The White Sox' Ed Farmer, the soon-to-be MLBN bound Darrin Jackson & the Cubs' inept Ron Santo are perfect examples. In fact, there are quite a few I'd like to mute, but the closed captioning doesn't do it justice...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
Just out of curiosity Shark, what is it specifically that makes these announcers so bad in your opinion?

Kid Cairo: 2013 March Madness Tournament Winner!

"Cowabunga? Cowa fucking piece of dog shit! This game is diarrhea coming out of my dick!"