It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 488 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:01 pm 
1000 CLUB

blackhawksfan wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:
Who says radio doesnt still throw stupid money around ??

I don't get it. His show isn't unique anymore. He took all the edgy things out. Does he even have a big audience anymore?

He must. Companies don't just give money like that to guys just to be nice. It's clear he gets tens of millions of subscribers. There is other programming at Sirius. But sirius must have data that Stern is the main hook.

If they're paying him 120 million, Sirius must be making a nice profit as well. Obviously. Like I said, companies don't pay that if they don't have it. They don't pay it unless a guy like Stern generates more than that in revenue. It kind of goes without saying.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:16 pm 
1000 CLUB

If you read the Bloomberg article it said Sirius cleared 1 billion in profit last year. So yeah, Stern is worth 12% of that. Which is what he got.

I though it was interesting that Stern's salary is used to pay Stern's staff. So I guess Stern decided who gets what from his 120 million. He probably has a staff of 20 people. I'd imagine Robin gets the most, followed by Fred and Gary. I'd guess Robin gets 5 million. Fred and Gary probably get 3 million. Everybody else who works are well below a million.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:22 am 

pizza_Place: Frozen
I've got Sirius the last couple years with the Scores collapse. I love when Stern talks about his beloved parents. He impersonates their thick Jewish accents. He talked about his father's uprightness ordering at restaurants. Everyone had to have their choice picked in the car. If you hesitated with the waitress or gave out an um he got irritated. The father loved halibut. They offered it at a relatives wedding dinner. No one could understand the Mexican waiter saying halibut. Sounding like holiday. (Fred playing the Mexican hat dance in the background) of course.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:45 am 

the best bits are definitely when howard does his parents but even that goes on too long sometimes.

he does way too much "on our phone right now is..." schtick with the office staff (mostly the unfunny chris wilding) doing voices. it's canned and lame.

also, i don't think stern is as good of an interviewer these days. he gets a lot of guests that are his "friends" and just blows sunshine up their ass the whole time. it's been a while since he's had a true interview. i think he's just mailing it in now, living off his reputation. he's more like larry king now.

i listen to the wrap up show more than the actual shows.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:07 am 

I spent 20+ hours in a car with Sirius over the weekend and didn't turn to Stern once. I used to be a huge fan.

I really enjoy listening to old stuff people post on youtube. I just don't have much interest in what he is doing these days. I always hated celebrity interviews and he now views those as the defining feature of his show.

You can't get the random crazies calling in to a Sirius show because they don't pay for it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:25 am 

Doesn't he only do around 9 shows a month at this point with the 3 day weeks and all the vacation?

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:57 am 

pizza_Place: world famous
conns7901 wrote:
Doesn't he only do around 9 shows a month at this point with the 3 day weeks and all the vacation?

I think he's said he's contractually obligated to do 120 shows a year.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:47 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Hampton’s Howie re-ups . 5/120 per.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:48 am 

pizza_Place: PizzaHut
Sirius is desperate. No one else is dying to sign Howard.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:01 am 

blackhawksfan wrote:

What's he going to do for programming now that ORANGE MAN BAD is ending ?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:19 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
badrogue17 wrote:
blackhawksfan wrote:

What's he going to do for programming now that ORANGE MAN BAD is ending ?

He can blow his friends Ellen and Justin Theroux live on the air. He really admires her dancing and finds her so hilarious.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:21 am 

He better hope Ronnie lives for another five years or they will be stretched for content.

Everyone who wanted to see if BaBaBooey could find high paid work once the show ended now won't get their wish. That lucky monkey is going to be able to retire when Howard does.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:35 am 

good dolphin wrote:
He better hope Ronnie lives for another five years or they will be stretched for content.

Everyone who wanted to see if BaBaBooey could find high paid work once the show ended now won't get their wish. That lucky monkey is going to be able to retire when Howard does.

Ronnie, Gary, Ralph, Robin content is hilarious. The back in the day stories also they tell are great.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:38 am 

good dolphin wrote:

I don’t think anyone on that show would make what they make now elsewhere . Managing the expectations and ego of Stern can’t have even an easy job for the last 30 years . Gary is a very good producer .

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:05 am 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
badrogue17 wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

I don’t think anyone on that show would make what they make now elsewhere . Managing the expectations and ego of Stern can’t have even an easy job for the last 30 years . Gary is a very good producer .

I think they joke about working “after Howard”, but the reality is the core team is paid well enough that they could stop working immediately and live very comfortable lives.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:12 pm 

Minooka Meatball wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

I think they joke about working “after Howard”, but the reality is the core team is paid well enough that they could stop working immediately and live very comfortable lives.

The core of Robin and Fred definitely. They are pushing 70 anyway. Ronnie is already past that and he could live comfortably in his own way, which is different than the other two. Gary would have to make life changes I think.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Marie's
This show died when Billy West left.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:23 pm 

I haven't heard this show since he left the radio. Reading this thread over the years makes it seem like I have not missed much.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:37 pm 
1000 CLUB

good dolphin wrote:

Christ, Gary could retire right now if he wanted to do so. He wasn't making much when he started, and for years at K ROCK, but since they went to sirius, he's been making a million a year, at least. Maybe even 2 million.

So he wouldn't have had to prove he could get another job.

Robin and Fred are financially fine as well. They don't need to work anymore if they chose not to.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:57 pm 

blackhawksfan wrote:

This statement just ignores basic math. You might not like Stern, but plenty do. The subscription to get the Stern show is $120 a year. If Stern brings 1MM listeners to SXM that would normally not subscribe, it’s break even.

That doesn’t even account for the ads, sponsors, ancillary media/press they get for having Stern on the channels.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:00 pm 
1000 CLUB

One Post wrote:
blackhawksfan wrote:

This statement just ignores basic math. You might not like Stern, but plenty do. The subscription to get the Stern show is $120 a year. If Stern brings 1MM listeners to SXM that would normally not subscribe, it’s break even.

That doesn’t even account for the ads, sponsors, ancillary media/press they get for having Stern on the channels.

I agree. They just don't give somebody 90 million a year if they're not making more than that back. No business does that. You can't be a business if you give out money with no return.

It's common sense.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
One Post wrote:
blackhawksfan wrote:

I don’t know what new subscribers pay but Sirius sends me a letter every year telling me the price is $247.52. For the record it’s a bit of a game they play where I threaten to cancel and then re-sign for $110. That said, there may be a fair percentage that pay the higher amount.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:19 pm 

Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
One Post wrote:
blackhawksfan wrote:

I don’t know what new subscribers pay but Sirius sends me a letter every year telling me the price is $247.52. For the record it’s a bit of a game they play where I threaten to cancel and then re-sign for $110. That said, there may be a fair percentage that pay the higher amount.

Shit, you are right, full year is more like $250, so Stern just needs to carry the water on 500k subscribers for break even.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:04 am 

there have been some really good guests in these past weeks. the corgan interview might be an all-timer for me, even though he's been on before. his redass approach to the industry is incredibly refreshing to hear.

this must be mccartney's 3rd time being on and each time it's awesome. just a musical history lesson each time.

and last night i caught about 20 min. of clooney that sounded great.

the NYP has been exposing some of stern's pretty reprehensible personality when it comes to his staff, and inviting us to look at his $100+ million dollar properties. it is sickening to know that he has all of this disposable money but couldn't help scott the engineer's wife out when she was dying of cancer. however, when it comes to the properties...everyone in his elite status owns obnoxious shit like that. i just find it funny that each property has double the bathrooms than bedrooms. stern is a consistent germaphobe and agoraphobe and needs a batcave as a bathroom in order to pee.

i still enjoy the wrap up show as well.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:45 am 

W_Z wrote:
there have been some really good guests in these past weeks. the corgan interview might be an all-timer for me, even though he's been on before. his redass approach to the industry is incredibly refreshing to hear.

this must be mccartney's 3rd time being on and each time it's awesome. just a musical history lesson each time.

and last night i caught about 20 min. of clooney that sounded great.

the NYP has been exposing some of stern's pretty reprehensible personality when it comes to his staff, and inviting us to look at his $100+ million dollar properties. it is sickening to know that he has all of this disposable money but couldn't help scott the engineer's wife out when she was dying of cancer. however, when it comes to the properties...everyone in his elite status owns obnoxious shit like that. i just find it funny that each property has double the bathrooms than bedrooms. stern is a consistent germaphobe and agoraphobe and needs a batcave as a bathroom in order to pee.

i still enjoy the wrap up show as well.

I’m one of the few who thinks Howard’s rep as “ best interviewer like , ever” is way overblown . He doesn’t shut the fuck up long enough to let the guest finish his thought on whatever question was posed before he’s interrupting with another question to send it on to another tangent .

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:58 am 

Notice I said “guests” and not interviews. That was on purpose. Corgan’s interview was great because of Corgan and what he revealed, it didn’t reflect at all on Howard. I may have said this earlier but I definitely think he is resting on his laurels as an interviewer, asking self-indulgent questions and trying to lead an interview way too much (and I think I’ve made comparisons before to Larry King). I love it when Howard drones on about something he thinks he is positive about, only for the guest to say “No, that’s wrong Howard.” Or “It’s not like that at all, Howard.”

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:13 am 

I never listened to the show for interviews and now its interview intensive so it doesn't have much appeal for me.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:24 pm 

dusting this thread off for a bump.

i realize now that i listen to the wrap-up show almost exclusively besides older segments...so pretty much only Howard 101. his regular show is really awful. chris wilding is the unfunniest asswipe that got a job on that show and i've listened since 1993.

i think he's had his 6th interview with paul mccartney in the past year-and-a-half. we get it. i loved the first two interviews, and since then it's just been repetitive and even dull.

he's had kristen stewart, emily rajanogonnaworkhereanymore, and fucking ed sheeran for like the 3rd time now. this is worse than "entertainment tonight".

the howard subreddit pretty much says it all at this point. "reddit, you've said it all."

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:43 pm 

I'm surprised he's still on. He hasn't been noteworthy for what, 6-8 years?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:48 pm 

The 100 channel misses Ronnie. Wrapup show is excellent.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 488 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next