It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 278 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
 Post subject: Re: Grantland
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:09 am 

pizza_Place: Olde Silver Tavern, Manalapan, NJ [R.I.P.?]
In which Freddie DeBoer ethers Grantland's entire culturally bankrupt worldview.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
"The cool dad of #CONTENT websites" is that shit that makes your soul burn slow.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:21 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
Curious Hair wrote:
Credit where it's due to Katie Baker for a nice piece on the dying days of the Nassau Coliseum:

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/requi ... islanders/

hey CH, have you ever been out to long island before?

one thing that struck me about the place was when you'd ride the LIRR through nassau county was that it's an island full of suburbs* that were by and large constructed before the mid-50s/interstate boom like out here. everything seemed a bit smaller/older architecturally and thus more quaint. then i heard when you go out far out east in suffolk county towards the hamptons there's a total dichotomy of exorbitant wealth and gamey realism between the 1% who live in the mansions and the common folk who live out there to work jobs that service that 1%. there's more than corn in indiana, you know?

* = yeah i know that queens and i think brooklyn and whatnot are technically on long island, but it doesnt feel like long island til you escape NYC proper and are well past jamaica and pushing rockville centre or something. that's right i'm looking at you kew gardens!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:26 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Haven't been out there but that sounds about right. Sounds roughly equivalent to Lake Geneva and the shantytowns that surround it.

From reading The Power Broker, the definitive book on Long Island, I was surprised to learn that Suffolk was big-time Klan country.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:35 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
I was surprised to learn that Suffolk was big-time Klan country.

that honestly wouldn't surprise me. i'm just guessing here, but i would conjecture that the rich people didn't come out and colonize the easternmost tip of long island til sometime in the mid-1900s, so that would leave a bunch of other literally far-out whackos to hold court over there and HEY WHADDYA KNOW, the klan were metaphorically on the edge of civilization so why not have a proper bastion way out there on the literal edge of civilization on a long island where everyone can have plenty of space to espouse those views that not only need but often earn a lot of space?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:46 am 

sinicalypse wrote:
that honestly wouldn't surprise me. i'm just guessing here, but i would conjecture that the rich people didn't come out and colonize the easternmost tip of long island til sometime in the mid-1900s, so that would leave a bunch of other literally far-out whackos to hold court over there and HEY WHADDYA KNOW, the klan were metaphorically on the edge of civilization so why not have a proper bastion way out there on the literal edge of civilization on a long island where everyone can have plenty of space to espouse those views that not only need but often earn a lot of space?

I can't speak to their white-supremacist affinities, but there are still a handful of people way at the edge of the isle called Bonackers who have been fishing and keeping to themselves for 300some years. They sound kind of like people on Tangier Island, where it's an older, long-forgotten English accent preserved in amber.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:56 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
I can't speak to their white-supremacist affinities, but there are still a handful of people way at the edge of the isle called Bonackers who have been fishing and keeping to themselves for 300some years. They sound kind of like people on Tangier Island, where it's an older, long-forgotten English accent preserved in amber.

THE CAPTAIN HAS TURNED ON THE NO FRINGE REFERENCES LIGHT!

so wait.... there's a far out edge of civilization out there where people fish.... and don't take pictures with the fish? somebody better tell dan because holy shit if he could master the "keeping to himself" part i think he might have just found his blue heaven.

also, walternate did nothing wrong!

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 9:58 am 

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 278 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10