It is currently Sat Jun 08, 2024 3:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Stoney
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:21 pm 

Hearing Steve Stone call a Twins/A's playoff game on the radio stings a little bit. He's still the best in the business. Here's hoping that Brenly gets a managing gig somewhere so the Cubs can bring Stoney back...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
After the way Stone exited the Cubs organization in 2004, there's no way he'll ever work there again.

Kid Cairo: 2013 March Madness Tournament Winner!

"Cowabunga? Cowa fucking piece of dog shit! This game is diarrhea coming out of my dick!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:10 pm 

Brenly left the booth to be with his brother. I hope they bring in someone with some Cubs history. I hate listening to windbags that don't have any idea of what it means to be a long SUFFERING Cubs fan!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:02 am 
1000 CLUB

Stone wasn't a "long suffering Cubs fan" when he got the job in the early 80's. He was born in Cleveland. Harry Carry certainly wasn't a long suffering Cubs fan. Hell, he was the anouncer for the hated Cardinals and White Sox before he got to the Cubs. You sure accepted him. You guys have to realize what you say when you start talking about wanting a long suffering Cubs fan. Or a Chicago guy. Realize the history of your broadcasters before you make stupid comments.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:12 am 
1000 CLUB

I thought we were talking about the announcers. But the same rule applys for managers. The Sox didn't win last year because Ozzie played for the Sox. They won because he managed well last year and the players played well. If the Cubs players suck then it won't matter that Joe played at Wrigley, or went to Northwestern.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:24 am 

Beardown wrote:
Stone wasn't a "long suffering Cubs fan" when he got the job in the early 80's. He was born in Cleveland. Harry Carry certainly wasn't a long suffering Cubs fan. Hell, he was the anouncer for the hated Cardinals and White Sox before he got to the Cubs. You sure accepted him. You guys have to realize what you say when you start talking about wanting a long suffering Cubs fan. Or a Chicago guy. Realize the history of your broadcasters before you make stupid comments.

Where in my comments did I mention Stoney or Harry? I simply said I wanted someone I could identify with in the booth. Stop ASSuming things and maybe you will not be such an ass.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:34 am 
1000 CLUB

I didn't misread it. You said "I hope they bring in somebody with Cubs history". Harry didn't have history. Pat Hughes grew up in Northern California. Stone played a year or two with the Cubs. Yet everybody loved Harry. So your point is dumb. Everybody loves Stone but he had no appreciation for "suffering Cubs fans" when he got here. If he's a good anouncer that's all that matters. You said you want somebody who knows what it's like to be a "long suffering Cubs fan". That shouldn't matter if they are good at there job.

I know you didn't mention Harry but it goes against your theory because I'm sure you loved him?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:53 am 

Quote:

I know you didn't mention Harry but it goes against your theory because I'm sure you loved him?

I could not stand Harry Carry. I could not wait until he went to the radio booth for a couple innings during the game. The seventh inning stretch was a joke. He couldn't even remember the words half the time because he was drunk and old. He slurred his words and didn't know who was on the field or how to pronounce their name. Hearing him try to say Mark Gruzalinik or Mickey Morindini was painfull.

You are correct about Stoney. I did like him. I grew up watching him and respected his skills as a broadcaster.

Chip Carey was annoying and was the ultimate homer. He tried to hard to pretend he was a fan.

The few times I turned on the T.V. to watch the Cubs this year I felt like I was watching a national broadcast. It had no hometown feel to it.

As much as I hate Hawk and D.J atleast they have some passion for the team and you can root with them while watching the game.

My point was that I want someone that wasn't a homer, drunk or a national voice.