It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 2:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
FOX Soccer, SPEED, BTN: The Big Ten Network, Fuel TV, FSN...Those are the sports cable networks that are part of FOX Sports. With 2013 on the horizon, might FOX Sports be on the verge of rebranding their sports channels in an effort to challenge ESPN for the title of "Worldwide Leader"? According to fangsbites.com, a sports media Web site, the answer might very well be yes.

Within the next 2 years, FOX Sports is expected to rebrand & re-identify their sports properties. The channel currently known as SPEED is expected to be rebranded as FOX Sports One. Instead of seeing NASCAR, Formula 1, monster trucks and other motorsports on that channel, FOX Sports One is expected to become more of a general sports network that'll feature some NASCAR, as well as Big 12 & Pac-12 football & basketball, the UFC/MMA, World Cup Soccer & Major League Baseball, thanks to the network's new 8 year extension. FOX Sports One might only be the beginning of such rebranding.

FOX Soccer, which features soccer matches from all over the globe right now, is expected to be rebranded as FOX Sports Two. They'll feature the UEFA Champions & Europa League, along with the English & Scottish Premier League, Rugby & Australian Rules Football.

Additionally, Fuel TV, which features extreme sports & most recently added UFC as part of FOX Sports' 7-year contract, is expected to be rebranded as FOX Sports Three. Those extreme sports, UFC & some Australian Rules Football matches are expected to be seen on FOX Sports Three. Got all that so far?

As they say in TV commercials, "...but wait, there's more." FOX Sports is also expected to soon announce that they are extending their NASCAR TV package. There's a good chance that a fraction of FOX's 13 race Sprint Cup schedule will relocate to FOX Sports One. It's unclear if NASCAR's Camping World Truck Series, currently seen on SPEED, would continue to air on the rebranded network. If FOX extends that contract, those races could be split between FOX Sports One & FOX Sports Three.

If that's not enough, FOX Sports One will broadcast 40 MLB games as part of their new "MLB on FOX" deal. They'll take 14 of those off of those on the local FOX station, as well 13 more away from TBS as part of the new slate of games on cable. Finally, FOX Sports One also gets in the game come playoff time. They'll start airing some MLB Division Series games starting in 2014.

If FOX Sports rebrands these outlets, there is precedent. FOX Sports' Australian channels are already known as FOX Sports One, Two & Three. Each channel carries certain sports, as well as big sporting events such as the Olympics & Australian Open. While the Olympics air in the U.S. on the networks of NBC Universal & the Australian Open on ESPN2, they air on other channels in other places around the globe.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
I will be pissed if Fox Sports gets rid of the Speed channel. Bad idea.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:02 pm 

Scorehead wrote:

Scorehead, it looks like it's going to happen. After the first of the New Year? Who knows?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Tony Weed's
1039 Oliver Ave, Aurora
(630) 892-2772
Scorehead wrote:

It's not getting rid of Speed Channel. There is just not enough motorsports programming to fill a week. 168 hours a week. Look at the schedule...http://www.speedtv.com/schedule/ There is a lot of bad shows on that list. Not even stuff that is direct live action. I don't want game shows or reality tv, or another Barrett-Jackson auction marathon. Eee gads man, where is the remote??

The rebrandings is very Euro-like basic description and number of channel. The only real hurdle is if they can get their channels bundled in the listings on cable and satellite providers.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:53 pm 

The first shoe appears to have dropped in FOX Sports' rumored rebranding. Sports Business Journal reports that Formula 1 Racing is relocating from FOX-owned SPEED to NBC Sports Network.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:13 pm 

Although it's in the early stages, FOX's parent company News Corporation is actually mulling over a possible conversion of FOX Soccer into a general entertainment channel, according to the Los Angeles Times.

With FOX Sports planning on converting Speed into a national sports network called FOX Sports One later this year, and FOX Soccer losing the English Premier League to rival NBC Sports Network, the long-term viability of FOX Soccer is uncertain. One of the possibilities News Corp. bosses are mulling over possibly converting FOX Soccer into a sister channel of FX.

The channel, currently found on DIRECTV 248, has developed quite a reputation for airing box office hit movies, as well as original series such as "Justified", "Sons of Anarchy", "Rescue Me" & "The League". FX is so popular these days, that a sister movie channel called FXM airs on the same channel that FOX Movie Channel can be found, DIRECTV 258. FOX Movie Channel & FXM each feature a huge library of 20th Century FOX feature films, past & present. FXM takes over FOX Movie Channel everyday @ 2P (CT) to feature films geared towards younger movie buffs.

FOX Soccer is currently available in some 50 million homes. Should News Corp. pull the plug on FOX Soccer and rebrand the channel as a sister channel of FX, it might simply be known as FX2. Stay tuned.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:35 pm 

Another update to this story. Sportsmediawatch.com & Sportsbusinessdaily.com are both reporting that News Corporation, FOX's parent company will convert 2 of their speciality sports networks into full-time national sports networks later this year.

No sooner will SPEED, DIRECTV 607, be transformed from a 24/7 motorsports channel into FOX Sports One, SBJ has confirmed that Fuel TV, DIRECTV 618, will be transformed from an extreme sports outlet into FOX Sports Two in August. SPEED, currently in 81 million U.S. homes, along with Fuel TV, currently in 37.6 million homes, will become the 2 primary 24/7 national sports networks for News Corp.

Even though FOX Soccer Channel is available in 42.3 million U.S. homes, News Corp. plans on turning that channel into a general entertainment outlet, similar to FX. That channel, which recently re-introduced sports with college football & UFC over the last 2 years in addition to original, cutting-edge series such as "Sons of Anarchy", "Justified" & "The League" to name a few, along with box office feature films, will no longer air sports.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:41 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Giordano's (Stuffed)
Speed to Fox Sports Network seems inevitable.

Fox had their big chance at competing against ESPN years ago, when they converted most of the countries Sports Channel stations into Fox Sports Net affiliates. The fact that this new Fox Sports Network will carry some MLB games doesn't impress me yet. FSN used to have the Thursday Night Game of the Week in the late 1990s -- how well did that work for them?

Fox Sports Net was a bust trying to compete against ESPN. What makes Fox think they will do better this time, especially with the added presence of NBC Sports Network and CBS Sports Network?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
donspiracy wrote:
Scorehead wrote:

It's not getting rid of Speed Channel. There is just not enough motorsports programming to fill a week. 168 hours a week. Look at the schedule...http://www.speedtv.com/schedule/ There is a lot of bad shows on that list. Not even stuff that is direct live action. I don't want game shows or reality tv, or another Barrett-Jackson auction marathon. Eee gads man, where is the remote??

The rebrandings is very Euro-like basic description and number of channel. The only real hurdle is if they can get their channels bundled in the listings on cable and satellite providers.

As long as they don't get rid of the long pre and post race programming, the truck series events, the practices, qualifying and Dave Despain then they can do whatever they want with the rest of the programming.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:27 pm 

Bring back the Best Damn Sports Show Period.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
Douchebag wrote:

Chris Rose is burrito as fuck with a terrible lisp and frosted tips and can be seen on the NFL Network.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:42 pm 

Urlacher's missing neck wrote:
Douchebag wrote:

Chris Rose is burrito as fuck with a terrible lisp and frosted tips and can be seen on the NFL Network.

Chris Rose is also just as annoying on MLB Network's "Intentional Talk" with fellow "idiot" Kevin Millar.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:47 pm 

SHARK wrote:
Douchebag wrote:

Chris Rose is also just as annoying on MLB Network's "Intentional Talk" with fellow "idiot" Kevin Millar.

SHARK, who was your favorite Best Damn Sports Show Period cast member? Personally, I have to go with John Salley.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:54 pm 

Douchebag wrote:
SHARK wrote:
Douchebag wrote:

SHARK, who was your favorite Best Damn Sports Show Period cast member? Personally, I have to go with John Salley.

Man, that's a tough call. Although they had a lot of fun, I'm not sure who would be my favorite "Best Damn" cast member looking back.

The demise of "Best Damn", I think had more to do with News Corp. actually trimming a lot of studio programming a few years ago from the show's home at the FOX Television Center in Los Angeles. Even FOX isn't immune to budget cuts.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
SHARK doesn't credit sources in his articles.

Kid Cairo: 2013 March Madness Tournament Winner!

"Cowabunga? Cowa fucking piece of dog shit! This game is diarrhea coming out of my dick!"

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:04 pm 

The Original Kid Cairo wrote:
SHARK doesn't credit sources in his articles.

OKC, that's not quite true. I credited SportsBusinessJournal, SportsMediaWatch & SportsBusinessDaily, as well as the Los Angeles Times in previous updates regarding the upcoming changes.