It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 11:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Costas Controversy
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
At halftime of NBC Sports' "Sunday Night Football" game between the Eagles & Cowboys in Arlington, TX, Bob Costas used part of the network's "TOYOTA Halftime Show" to comment about the tragic murder/suicide early Saturday morning in which Chiefs' LB Jevon Belcher killed his girlfriend and then Belcher himself took his own life in front of HC Romeo Crennel & GM Scott Pioli in the parking lot of Arrowhead Stadium.

It's a commentary about gun control that angered many conservatives who thought Bob's remarks were uninformed & inappropriate. FOX News Channel host/anchor Megyn Kelly was said to be especially angry at the Emmy Award-winning sportscaster's stance, and mentioned O.J. Simpson's infamous double murder of ex-wife Nicole Brown Simpson & friend Ron Goldman in 1994 as an example.

While the usually mild-mannered Costas defended his controversial commentary in the New York Times yesterday, he tried to clarify his stance this morning with his good friend & NBC teammate Dan Patrick on Dan's syndicated sports talk radio/TV show. He wasn't necessarily on "The Dan Patrick Show" to promote his year-end special of "Costas Tonight" that premieres Thursday @ 8P on NBC Sports Network, DIRECTV 220.

Bob's controversial commentary will be front & center on 2 non-sports talk shows tonight & tomorrow. Costas will be a guest on MSNBC's "The Last Word with Lawrence O'Donnell" tonight @ 7 & 11P to discuss the issue. Then, Costas will appear as a guest on Bill O'Reilly's nightly "O'Reilly Factor" on FOX News Channel @ 7 & 10P tomorrow night.

Something tells me this controversy won't go away quietly.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:04 pm 

Why is a man expressing an opinion in an editorial segment controversial? You can disagree with someone all you want, but calling for him to be fired is absurd. He didn't come out in support of Hitler or Jim Crow. This uproar is just silly.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
Douchebag wrote:
Why is a man expressing an opinion in an editorial segment controversial? You can disagree with someone all you want, but calling for him to be fired is absurd. He didn't come out in support of Hitler or Jim Crow. This uproar is just silly.

I never did call for Costas' firing. That's not happening.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:08 pm 

SHARK wrote:
Douchebag wrote:

I never did call for Costas' firing. That's not happening.

I never said you did, SHARK. I was just speaking to overreaction crowd in general.

If I here the...
Rush Limbaugh should be fired
Bob Costas should be fired
so and so should be suspended
so and so should be fined

...talk anymore, I'll have no hope left for humanity. Just change the channel.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:09 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
WOW. Shocking there wasn't a multi page thread in douchebag of the week section dedicated to this exact topic already.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.