It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 3:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What Did Shannon Say?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:57 pm 
1000 CLUB

Here is a little game to aid your enjoyment in understanding the CBS talking mouth Shannon Sharpe. (I won't call him a talking head as I think it's doubtful he has a functioning head). You know how Shannon talks like he has a mouthful of marbles and you usually can't understand him? The automated hearing impaired system that generates closed captions doesn't understand him either. I was watching the halftime show in the health club and my club has closed captions on all the time. WHen Sharpe was speaking, it seemed like there was an occasional word translated on the screen, with long blanks in between or translated with words that made no sense. So next Sunday for the CBS pregame and halftime shows, turn on the hearing impaired caption system on your TV and see what comes out when Shannon speaks. An occasional word with a lot of garbled words in between. Similar to what you get when you actually listen to him. Hilarious.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:29 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Deep Dish: Giordano's
That system is actually not automated. Out of college, I did phone tech support for a company that manufactures the shorthand steno machines that court reporters use, as well as their transcription and translation software. The same thing is done to closed-caption live broadcasts. So some woman (95% of reporters are women, so it's not meant as a derisive statement) has the task of sitting at home and pounding out what that dope is saying, and has to make a split second judgement about what the word was, which can be difficult given Shannon's marble-tacular speech. Additionally, if whatever they typed is not in their steno->english dictionary, it will come through untranslated, which explains what happens when the gibberish comes through on the caption.

http://www.TheCommittedIndian.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:55 pm 
1000 CLUB

I'd love to use closed captioning but for some reason my Comcast DVR boxes can't get it to work. Sucks because I used to use CC all the time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:41 pm 
1000 CLUB

Thanks for that knowledge, Crow. I think there is a drinking game in this somewhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
Thanks Stinkfinger. I always thought that was automated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:36 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 6 characters
Shannon Sharpe seems like he is talking with a mouthful of marbles because he is partially deaf in one ear.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:02 pm 

what did you say