It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:16 pm 

Hank Scorpio wrote:
Well I hope they all manage to get enough of you to donate to their cause and put up the good fight and that they win their case.

Would you rather Podcasts be free or have a fee?

I prefer free. Im weird like that.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
rogers park bryan wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:
Well I hope they all manage to get enough of you to donate to their cause and put up the good fight and that they win their case.

I dont listen to podcasts. Why would they need a fee? Does Adam Corolla do it all for free out of pocket? I am sure it costs him something now.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:20 pm 

Hank Scorpio wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Much of this litigation has no actual chance of being enforced and they spread it all around knowing they'll get some money.

Much of it? I thought none of them had a case. So some of the trolls are right and some are wrong? Now I'm even more confused...
I don't understand how you don't get this.

It's a strategy designed to get a bunch of companies/individuals to settle with you by leveraging patents that have no actual chance to a very small chance of being enforced. The whole goal is NOT to go to trial.

So, yes, there is a small chance some of the cases may win if they go to trial. It isn't exactly a great point by you to show a time when I'm not being absolute. It still doesn't change much. It's very unlikely any of these patents are enforceable.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:22 pm 

Hank Scorpio wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:

I dont listen to podcasts. Why would they need a fee? Does Adam Corolla do it all for free out of pocket? I am sure it costs him something now.

Yes, and a small amount of advertising pays for it now. If he's forced to pay out millions to trolls, that changes the cost of putting one on drastically

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:23 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Much of this litigation has no actual chance of being enforced and they spread it all around knowing they'll get some money.

Much of it? I thought none of them had a case. So some of the trolls are right and some are wrong? Now I'm even more confused...

It's a strategy designed to get a bunch of companies/individuals to settle with you by leveraging patents that have no actual chance to a very small chance of being enforced. The whole goal is NOT to go to trial.

So, yes, there is a small chance some of the cases may win if they go to trial. It isn't exactly a great point by you to show a time when I'm not being absolute. It still doesn't change much. It's very unlikely any of these patents are enforceable.

Im not even trying to be a jerk about it, but Hank really feels that "legal = fair game"

If you know that, you understand his position.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:24 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
If JORR's company truly did develop something that could stand up in court then he isn't a patent troll. Much of this litigation has no actual chance of being enforced and they spread it all around knowing they'll get some money.

There's a lot of ambiguity with patents. Just because the U.S. Patent Office issues a patent doesn't necessarily make it enforceable. In fact, with the big tech companies we're now seeing duplicate patents that have been issued.

But one guy rolling over isn't the end of the game. For example, I believe Samsung chose to go a licensing route with Apple whereas Google/Motorola chose the "fuck you" route.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:27 pm 

FYI, here is the patent they own.
"apparatus for disseminating a series of episodes represented by media files via the Internet as said episodes become available"

So, it's basically a patent covering posting links on the internet. There is a 0% chance that passes the "nonobvious" and "new" provisions of patent law.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:28 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

I'm not an idiot. I do understand they are gaming the system and getting money for nothing (and the patents for free). I'm just saying that based on the fact they hold the patent, I would side with them.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:29 pm 
Site Admin

Hank Scorpio wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

I'm not an idiot. I do understand they are gaming the system and getting money for nothing (and the patents for free). I'm just saying that based on the fact they hold the patent, I would side with them.

I suspect most judges would find that overly broad.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:30 pm 

Hank Scorpio wrote:
The patent doesn't matter though. It doesn't matter if it is anything close to valid. The reason they are a troll is because they tie it up in litigation.

Again, if the patent is at least somewhat plausible then I agree with you but we aren't talking about that. Look at the podcast patent I just posted.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:36 pm 

Hank Scorpio wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Why?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:41 pm 

Read the full sentence. If they have it, I side with them. That thing that Rick posted is absurd. I dont know how that is even a patent. It covers everything. :lol: They should be suing the entire interwebz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:42 pm 

Hank Scorpio wrote:
Read the full sentence. If they have it, I side with them. That thing that Rick posted is absurd. I dont know how that is even a patent. It covers everything. :lol: They should be suing the entire interwebz

Im asking you why, if they hold the patent, you side with them?

Is it because, the law is the law?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:43 pm 

Hank Scorpio wrote:
Look at the light bulb above Hank Scorpio's head! :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:44 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:

That light bulb is patented.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:45 pm 

Douchebag wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:

By a one legged blind man who will never use it!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:47 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:

Is this where you ask me if killing nuns while sodomizing children was legal if I would go do it?

I would side with a patent holder because they have the patent. Apparently they issue patents for anything. That isnt my problem and it looks like steps are being taking to correct this whole situation. THat will make it better going forward.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:48 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:

By a one legged blind man who will never use it!

Lay off him he has non 24.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:48 pm 
Site Admin

Hank Scorpio wrote:

My wife likes to bust my balls sometimes by telling people, "Bob used to own the Internet." :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:50 pm 

Hank Scorpio wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:

Is this where you ask me if killing nuns while sodomizing children was legal if I would go do it?

I would side with a patent holder because they have the patent. Apparently they issue patents for anything. That isnt my problem and it looks like steps are being taking to correct this whole situation. THat will make it better going forward.

See you dont even want to say it, because you know it's crazy.

You're clearly going off "the law is the law"

Silly

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:50 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:

They are taking advantage of it. If my property deed said I owned " a house and some property located somewhere in the City of Crown Point" I might see if I could take advantage of such a poorly worded document and upgrade my house.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:51 pm 

Hank Scorpio wrote:
You are failing to acknowledge step 2.
1) Find patent with little to no chance of being enforced in court.
2) Engage in an active legal campaign to constantly delay legal proceedings and cost your target significant amounts of money while offering to settle with them for less money.

#2 is the major problem. If they were simply suing and losing in court then they wouldn't be trolls.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:52 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:

See you dont even want to say it, because you know it's crazy.

You're clearly going off "the law is the law"

Silly

The law is the law!!! :lol: I can't change the law, I can only do my best not to break it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:54 pm 

Finally.

Anyway, this is complete bullshit and the patent trolls should be prosecuted for deliberately tying up our court systems and slowing the economy.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:10 pm 

RPB, are you of the opinion that only laws which you personally deem to be OK should be followed?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:11 pm 
Site Admin

Hank Scorpio wrote:
RPB, are you of the opinion that only laws which you personally deem to be OK should be followed?

Isn't everybody?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:14 pm 

Hank Scorpio wrote:

Of course.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:17 pm 

What happens when someone thinks stealing is OK? Dont blame that guy, he doesnt think stealing is wrong.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:27 pm 

Hank Scorpio wrote:
What happens when someone thinks stealing is OK? Dont blame that guy, he doesnt think stealing is wrong.

What does that have to do with anything?

Some laws are righteous, some are horrid. If you choose to obey all laws regardless, that's obviously your prerogative.

Illinois state laws

You must contact the police before entering the city in an automobile.

Kites may not be flown within the city limits.

Guess what Hank, Ill ride into the city any time I damn well please and fly a kite right down Michigan Avenue!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:37 pm 

pizza_Place: from scratch
rogers park bryan wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:

What does that have to do with anything?

Some laws are righteous, some are horrid. If you choose to obey all laws regardless, that's obviously your prerogative.

Illinois state laws

You must contact the police before entering the city in an automobile.

Kites may not be flown within the city limits.

Guess what Hank, Ill ride into the city any time I damn well please and fly a kite right down Michigan Avenue!

Board outing?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next