It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bill Simmons suspended
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:21 pm 

pizza_Place: my house
ESPN suspends Bill Simmons for comments trashing Goodell and NFL on Ray Rice scandal

Sports commentator Bill Simmons has now been suspended by ESPN for three weeks, following a set of provocative — and obscentiy-filled — comments about NFL commissioner Roger Goodell's handling of the Ray Rice scandal.

ESPN announced the suspension in a statement:

"Every employee must be accountable to ESPN and those engaged in our editorial operations must also operate within ESPN's journalistic standards. We have worked hard to ensure that our recent NFL coverage has met that criteria. Bill Simmons did not meet those obligations in a recent podcast, and as a result we have suspended him for three weeks." [ESPN]

"Goodell, if he didn't know what was on that tape, he's a liar," Simmons said in his podcast on Monday. He went on to add: "For all these people to pretend they didn't know is such f--king bulls--t. It really is, it's such f--king bulls--t. For him to go into that press conference and pretend otherwise — I was so insulted."

And as USA Today points out, Simmons also practically dared somebody to try to punish him for his comments: "I really hope somebody calls me or emails me and says I’m in trouble for anything I say about Roger Goodell, because if one person says that to me, I’m going public. You leave me alone. The commissioner’s a liar and I get to talk about that on my podcast. Thank you."
- - Eric Kleefeld

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
So what about the Guess the Lines pod? Image

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:26 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
I am surprised. Of course higher level with more direct relation to the NFL but Bernsie has to take notice.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:17 am 

Stephen A Smith gets a week for telling women not to provoke men, and Simmons gets 3 weeks for this?

If I'm Bill, I would stick with this story. Call for Goodell to take a lie detector test. Don't back down. Make the NFL prove him wrong.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:18 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Douchebag wrote:
Stephen A Smith gets a week for telling women not to provoke men, and Simmons gets 3 weeks for this?

If I'm Bill, I would stick with this story. Call for Goodell to take a lie detector test. Don't back down. Make the NFL prove him wrong.

This. Nice to see some ESPN folks step outside the corporate line.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:21 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... l-ray-rice
Worth reading.

Quote:
Simmons was, is and seemingly ever shall be the voice of That Guy, and since he owns that white, male, 18-and-up, high-five, we’re-crushing-it-bro market, he has the attention of a huge number of eyeballs and wallets that help ESPN pay for the NFL, which makes ESPN even more money.

Haha, "That Guy."

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:28 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Douchebag wrote:

Completely agree.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:29 am 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
denisdman wrote:
Douchebag wrote:

This. Nice to see some ESPN folks step outside the corporate line.

I'd be more intrigued if it was someone besides Simmons; his past suggests it's hyperbole for attention's sake.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:19 am 

pizza_Place: Olde Silver Tavern, Manalapan, NJ [R.I.P.?]
Hussra wrote:
So what about the Guess the Lines pod? Image

You can still flush your money down the toilet. This just cuts out the middleman for a few weeks.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:20 am 

Bill Simmons just got a longer timeout than the first Ray Rice suspension. Think about that for a second...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:26 am 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Douchebag wrote:
Bill Simmons just got a longer timeout than the first Ray Rice suspension. Think about that for a second...

It's conceivable ESPN is doing it to draw more attention to Simmons without drawing the ire of the NFL upon themselves ... which sticks with my contention the whole thing is a 'work' rather than the result of any personal conviction.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:28 am 

pizza_Place: Olde Silver Tavern, Manalapan, NJ [R.I.P.?]
Curious Hair wrote:
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/sep/25/espn-nfl-bill-simmons-suspended-roger-goodell-ray-rice
Worth reading.

Quote:
Simmons was, is and seemingly ever shall be the voice of That Guy, and since he owns that white, male, 18-and-up, high-five, we’re-crushing-it-bro market, he has the attention of a huge number of eyeballs and wallets that help ESPN pay for the NFL, which makes ESPN even more money.

Haha, "That Guy."

Nailed it, as usual. I'd also add this quote from his epic takedown of Grantland:

Quote:
ESPN and Simmons exist to make each other look edgy — ESPN by having Simmons write risky and scandalous things like "I hate [sports player]," and Simmons by having ESPN's editorial policy to blame for not writing anything more risky and scandalous than, "I hate [sports player]." If at any moment either entity had walked away from their relationship, it would have given the lie to ESPN's claims to print things more subversive than "SportsCenter You Can Read" and Simmons' claims that he had any ideas to be held back in the first place.

Kinda explains both the suspension and the "I dare you" shit, huh?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:32 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
You want to have the NFL as a business partner, you want to be paid big money, STFU.

You want to say whatever you want, have Simmons.com...you can say what you want and make as much as you can.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:36 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Dave In Champaign wrote:
Quote:
ESPN and Simmons exist to make each other look edgy — ESPN by having Simmons write risky and scandalous things like "I hate [sports player]," and Simmons by having ESPN's editorial policy to blame for not writing anything more risky and scandalous than, "I hate [sports player]." If at any moment either entity had walked away from their relationship, it would have given the lie to ESPN's claims to print things more subversive than "SportsCenter You Can Read" and Simmons' claims that he had any ideas to be held back in the first place.

Kinda explains both the suspension and the "I dare you" shit, huh?

It absolutely does. Somehow I had forgotten about that part.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:56 am 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
Seems like a wink wink deal to me. ESPN wants to trash Goodell but they cant due to MNF, so they let Simmons up his street cred by being the guy to say 'what everyone is thinking but cant say at ESPN'. ESPN slaps his hand publically and shakes his hand behind closed doors. Great pub for Simmons/Grantland and covers the tracks for ESPN to say 'Sorry Rog, this guy is a tool. We suspended him for you.'

This whole thing is about as disingenuous as the Goodell press conference in the first place.