It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject: Re: Stuart Scott
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:54 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
long time guy wrote:
Nas wrote:
Really? This is the 3rd thing you're making up. You like for me to respond to you don't you? You haven't disagreed with anything I posted but you continue to try to find something to argue about. I said he never sold drugs or rapped about shooting someone and you agreed. I said he portrayed himself to be something that he wasn't even before Death Row to sell records an you appear to agree. I called it a sales job very early on. What's next?

In the song bomb first he is talking about shooting someone. In hit em up he is talking shooting people. What are you talking about? The problem with your arguments is that they become conflated after awhile. They lack consistency. They also are always circular.

Really? He said he shot someone in those songs? So now you disagree with what you posted?

Nas wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Nas wrote:
For the final time I said he never said he sold drugs or shot people. He didn't. The image people want to portray to improve record sales has nothing to do with the actual words they use.

I never said drugs either. Reading comprehension is tough. I mentioned being a Thug and gangster lifestyle. I never mentioned that he attempted to make people believe he was a drug dealer

So what's your point then? I started off by saying that he wasn't lying about actually shooting people or selling drugs in his lyrics and you agree with me. You could have saved a couple of pages.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:54 pm 

Nas wrote:
Really? This is the 3rd thing you're making up. You like for me to respond to you don't you? You haven't disagreed with anything I posted but you continue to try to find something to argue about. I said he never sold drugs or rapped about shooting someone and you agreed. I said he portrayed himself to be something that he wasn't even before Death Row to sell records an you appear to agree. I called it a sales job very early on. What's next?

You started out by disagreeing with me. I agreed with Regular Reader and you hopped in to disagree with me. Maybe you forgot?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:55 pm 
100000 CLUB

Regular Reader wrote:
I just find it funny that now a meme is making the rounds with folks from London Town (Towne?) claiming Stuart Scott as one of theirs?!?

Really?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:00 pm 

Nas wrote:
I never thought 2pac was trying to glorify the streets. Similar to Scarface I always thought that he used street tales as a means of getting his audience to listen so he can deliver a bigger message. It was a great sales job. I believe that if he were alive he would have done some good with the power he was give
This was your original comment on the subject of 2Pac. You stated clearly that he wasn't trying to glorify street life. Now you're stating that he was. I don't know what you mean by selling it either but my interpretation of selling is glorifying.

This video is kind of long but it gives you an idea of what spaces vision was even at 20-21.

Watch "UNHEARD Tupac phone conversation with Sanyika Sha…" on YouTube
UNHEARD Tupac phone conversation with Sanyika Sha…: http://youtu.be/BO0mI5AbTc4

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:03 pm 

Nas wrote:
I never thought 2pac was trying to glorify the streets. Similar to Scarface I always thought that he used street tales as a means of getting his audience to listen so he can deliver a bigger message. It was a great sales job. I believe that if he were alive he would have done some good with the power he was given.

This video is kind of long but it gives you an idea of what spaces vision was even at 20-21.

This is your original comment on Tupac. You clearly stated that you didn't believe he was attempting to glorify street life. Selling it is glorifying it. Maybe you have a different interpretation. You originally disagreed with my point regarding 2Pac now you are saying that he did attempt to glorify it. You're talking about "public persona" and "sales job". That equates to glorification to most but I'm sure you have a different interpretation.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:10 pm 

long time guy wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Nas wrote:
Those guys were conventional though. Stuart brought the suburbs to the hood even after being threatened with termination.

I'm surprised you didn't like 2pac.

I've never cared for the suburbs.

I hated Tupac. He was a hell of an entertainer, but a fraud, a pussy & a jackass.

I'm with you on Tupac. Digital Underground introduced him with Same Song. Digital Underground was not exactly gangster rap. Tupac piggybacked off the success of other West Coast rap groups. The irony of it all was that while he was screaming west coast he actually hailed from Baltimore. In terms of being street I never considered him to be particularly street. Ironically Biggie Smalls rap lyrics were more authentically street. Biggie Smalls became identified with champagne and parties but his other stuff was far more credible than the stuff Tupac was spewing.

This is my original point just so there isn't any confusion.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:13 pm 

Nas wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Nas wrote:

In the song bomb first he is talking about shooting someone. In hit em up he is talking shooting people. What are you talking about? The problem with your arguments is that they become conflated after awhile. They lack consistency. They also are always circular.

Really? He said he shot someone in those songs? So now you disagree with what you posted?

Nas wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Nas wrote:
For the final time I said he never said he sold drugs or shot people. He didn't. The image people want to portray to improve record sales has nothing to do with the actual words they use.

I never said drugs either. Reading comprehension is tough. I mentioned being a Thug and gangster lifestyle. I never mentioned that he attempted to make people believe he was a drug dealer

So what's your point then? I started off by saying that he wasn't lying about actually shooting people or selling drugs in his lyrics and you agree with me. You could have saved a couple of pages.

He said that he would let the pistol smoke not that he'd actually Shot someone. The tattoo still has not been addressed. Not surprising. Don't tell me about page 4 it's not there either

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:27 pm 

Nas wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
I just find it funny that now a meme is making the rounds with folks from London Town (Towne?) claiming Stuart Scott as one of theirs?!?

Really?

Caught me the hell off guard as well. Especially given how desperate Michael Wilbon is to continually tell us he's from Chicago (& Ignatius to boot).

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:34 pm 
100000 CLUB

long time guy wrote:
Nas wrote:
I never thought 2pac was trying to glorify the streets. Similar to Scarface I always thought that he used street tales as a means of getting his audience to listen so he can deliver a bigger message. It was a great sales job. I believe that if he were alive he would have done some good with the power he was given.

This is your original comment on Tupac. You clearly stated that you didn't believe he was attempting to glorify street life. Selling it is glorifying it. Maybe you have a different interpretation. You originally disagreed with my point regarding 2Pac now you are saying that he did attempt to glorify it. You're talking about "public persona" and "sales job". That equates to glorification to most but I'm sure you have a different interpretation.

Glorifying to me is celebrating how great something and trying to convince someone that they should want to live a particular lifestyle. IMO he and Scarface were the only really popular gangster rappers that were trying to empower the youth to do something different. They described the pitfalls of the gangster life. Were there contradictions? Sure. In the end 2pac's death was another example of why you shouldn't aspire to be a gangster.

BTW even in Bomb First and Hit Em Up he never said anything about he shooting someone. I was sure about Souja Story but I couldn't remember every lyric to those two. I just Googled the lyrics and talks about murdering people on "wax" and "lyrically".

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:35 pm 
100000 CLUB

Regular Reader wrote:
Nas wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

Really?

Caught me the hell off guard as well. Especially given how desperate Michael Wilbon is to continually tell us he's from Chicago (& Ignatius to boot).

:lol: Wilbon still looking for street cred?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:45 pm 

Nas wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Nas wrote:

Glorifying to me is celebrating how great something and trying to convince someone that they should want to live a particular lifestyle. IMO he and Scarface were the only really popular gangster rappers that were trying to empower the youth to do something different. They described the pitfalls of the gangster life. Were there contradictions? Sure. In the end 2pac's death was another example of why you shouldn't aspire to be a gangster.

BTW even in Bomb First and Hit Em Up he never said anything about he shooting someone. I was sure about Souja Story but I couldn't remember every lyric to those two. I just Googled the lyrics and talks about murdering people on "wax" and "lyrically".

I never said that he shot someone or admitted to shooting someone in his songs. I do remember him shooting a cop in Atl though. I may be wrong but I remember that. Most of his venom was directed at other Rappers as I recall. I didn't find his message to be positive overall. There were some songs yeah but most of his stuff was run of the mill shoot em up shoot em up. As reader was saying he essentially came across as a co-opter of the message that others were spewing. I and many that I knew who followed rap wanted our rappers to be authentic. It was supposed to be a depiction of the life around you. He wanted people to believe that he'd lived that life not that he was at best a witness. There are rappers that you can tell actually "lived the life". He was never one of them to me that's all.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:48 pm 
100000 CLUB

He did shoot a cop IIRC but the charges were dropped. Not sure why but if IIRC they shot at the car he was in or something like that.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:02 pm 

Nas wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Nas wrote:

Bomb first starts out with him firing six shots. He made reference to battling lyrically but the thrust of the song is about him killing other rappers. He is talking about guns and how it's your life or my life to quote him. I didn't have to Google because I remembered the album vividly. His Dear Mama and Brenda got a baby tended to obscure some of his other stuff.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:09 pm 

Nas wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Nas wrote:

He is talking about how he has to shoot first and how he rides with his nine and all that. I actually liked some of his stuff. Its just that he, more than any other rapper of that era, was identified with the Thug lifestyle. You alluded earlier to a power that he had. What was it?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:06 pm 

I hear voices, and it sounds like Pac
Askin' me, yo what's up with Hip Hop?
All these n*****, tryin' to live thug life
They didn't listen when I was spittin' on the mic
All they heard was Makaveli the great
They didn't hear when I was comin' in a positive way
Like Keep Ya Head Up, and Brenda With a Baby

N****s just love to think that I was crazy
But I was crazy smart
My momma ain't raised no fool
I spit from the heart
Black Panther shit, mixed with street poetry
I had to hit
Aiyyo Poet, All these niggas is ass
If I was alive today I would straight spas

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5