It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Serial Podcast
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:55 pm 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
Who has heard of this? Good fucking shit.

http://serialpodcast.org/posts

Post subject: Re: Serial Podcast
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:59 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
Dr. Ken and I are with you on this.

Good listen.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Kaiser's - Kenosha
I started listening to it yesterday, but I fell asleep.
Missed most of episode 2, caught 1 and 3.
I plan on giving it my full attention whislt I'm not otherwise shitfaced drunk.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:23 am 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Peoria Matt wrote:
Dr. Ken and I are with you on this.

Good listen.

Yep. I'm hooked.

But I think there really is no ending. Ultimately it will be a story about the ambiguity of the legal system. Still a great listen though.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:51 am 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
Another interesting episode this week.

I'm starting to wonder now, though, with all the popularity this thing is getting, if people are starting to come out of the woodwork for the publicity.

Like the woman this week who is certain that Hae couldn't have been killed at 2:36pm because she was talking to her for 15 minutes at that time. Why wouldn't this woman have come forward earlier?

If I had been talking to someone for 15 minutes within an hour of their murder, I would have let this information be known to someone. I wouldn't wait to fill somebody in 15 years later like it wasn't that important.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
CRIMINAL is another good listen in the True Crime genre:

http://thisiscriminal.com/

I think Criminal's been folded into the 99% Invisible stable of podcasts.

Also, there are podcasts about Serial out there. Slate has one, http://feeds.feedburner.com/SlateSpoilerSpecials

Serial Theories and Spoilers.

The Serial Serial.

Haven't heard any of those.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:18 pm 

Half-way through the first episode, the conclusion:

Adnan Syed's guilty as fuck.

You can tell by listening to dude he killed the bitch.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Can someone give a quick synopsis-for-dummies here on why this thing is so popular? It sounds like listening to some ancient radio show or whatever the fuck was around before TVs.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:57 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
Can someone give a quick synopsis-for-dummies here on why this thing is so popular? It sounds like listening to some ancient radio show or whatever the fuck was around before TVs.

you've never gotten caught up in a Investigation Discovery channel Saturday afternoon Dateline mystery marathon? True crime's compelling theater.

Adnan Syed's a charming, intelligent sociopath. Something the podcast presenter, Sarah Koenig, either doesn't see or doesn't want to see--despite the judge at Syed's sentencing hearing spelling it out very directly.

and the primary witness against Syed--Jay--is an interesting personality as well. At one point during his confession/ratting out Adnan, he explains to the pair of white Baltimore homicide detectives why as a black man who sells weed calling the police might not be his first reaction when an acquaintance rolls up with a dead Asian girl in his trunk.

I think Adnan Syed's guilt is a little too obvious and cut-n-dried--despite the flaws in the prosecution's trial presentation, they had/have the right guy.

Last edited by Hussra on Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Hussra wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

you've never gotten caught up in a Investigation Discovery channel Saturday afternoon Dateline mystery marathon?

I have not.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:34 am 

Kind of surprisingly next week is the final episode.

Sounds like he wrote her a letter saying he's done. Doesn't seem like there will be much resolution to this.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:22 pm 

Some possible outcomes favorable for everyone's favorite psycho killa:

1. Adnan 'Kilt da bitch dead' Syed has an appeal pending vaguely related to ineffective assistance of counsel. Adnan's appeal claims his lawyer didn't try to negotiate a plea deal despite Adnan claiming he asked her to multiple times.

Not sure what the remedy would be if the appeals court finds in Adnan's favor; but let's say the appeals court kicks it back down to the trial court for a new trial--to give Adnan the chance to plead out.

Given that the prosecution's main witness--Jay--is alive and well and likely willing to testify, the State could easily say no dice to any deal and re-try Adnan.

However, it seems the prosecution in the original trial(s) played loose-and-fast with timelines. [ I think Jay's differing stories/timelines are due to his trying to (i) minimize his involvement and (ii) keep his friend Jenn out of the picture]. And any decent defense lawyer's going to shred Jay to ribbons over his multiplicity of timelines/stories.

So the State likely has to play ball with Adnan should the appeals court give Adnan another bite of the apple.

The outcome then probably is Adnan pleading out to 2nd degree, either with a no contest plea or a simple "Yes, I did it" plea or a full (but likely mostly ass-cover BS) narrative plea explaining what happened in some detail. The latter is important mostly for sentencing. The greater the culpability Adnan is willing to accept, the shorter the sentence.

2. The appeals court says "yeah, yeah, we see these all the time, if you really wanted a plea deal, all you had to do was stand up in court and ask for one--appeal denied"--thereby exhausting Adnan's last appeal and leaving him with the choice to either rot in prison for another 50 years or proffer to accept guilt in exchange for either a reduced sentence or elibility for parole. I think Adnan's eligible for parole at some point. But without an acknowledgement of guilt and showing of remorse, he has little chance of succeeding at a parole hearing.

Maybe Adnan's waiting for his parents to die before fessing up and getting out? Wouldn't be surprised if Adnan's out inside 2 years. Don't think he should be released this soon--as he clearly "killed the bitch" and probably with premeditation--but it could happen.

Last edited by Hussra on Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:31 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
SpiralStairs wrote:
Who has heard of this? Good fucking shit.

http://serialpodcast.org/posts

Am through eight episodes. Excellent.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:48 am 

pizza_Place: Il-Forno in Deerfield
next week the forensic evidence that shows he did it? or not?
I've been waiting for more forensic evidence...cant' remember much being discussed.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:06 pm 

I've listened to all 11 episodes. First, there is no way I would convict him because I have reasonable doubt. However, he has to be the prime suspect. Jay is such an odd character. He knew where Hae's car was parked, and he hung out with Adnan on the night of the crime. So he has some credibility. The state seems to have a sloppy timeline. Adnan not recalling anything of consequence is weird. I just can't figure out who else would have killed Hae. The judge being so sure at sentencing is another wrinkle for me. That is an experienced legal mind who heard all the testimony.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:47 pm 

She was strangled correct? Wouldn't Adnan's fingerprints be all over her neck, or is that not how fingerprints work?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:30 pm 

I assume the killer used gloves or a rope. I believe they said there was no physical evidence linking Adnan to the crime.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:54 am 

i think i've become a true crime snob because i'm very particular on how i like the stories presented. most of the time, actually, i like bullet point facts or reading through websites like crimelibrary. sometimes i'll watch docu specials on youtube.

this never caught my interest, but it's not because of the story. i think the story is fascinating. i don't like the format that much, and the narrator doesn't do it for me.

one of my favorite shows is "i survived...". it's perfectly done, and it's not always true crime...and it's sometimes more amazing than a murder story because the fact that these people got out of it and can live to talk about it is incredible. sometimes there are deaths, like someone they were with at the time or something. it's one of the most compelling shows i've watched in recent years.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:39 am 

'I Survived...' is great. Haven't caught it in a few years, Bio still doing new eps?

I like how they have a natural disaster story line, then some sort of potentially public shooting/crime type story and then the main story, usually a female abduction story.

Main lesson from various abduction related 'I Surviveds...'--don't get in the trunk.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:42 am 

denisdman wrote:
I assume the killer used gloves or a rope. I believe they said there was no physical evidence linking Adnan to the crime.

Jay mentions Adnan wearing "red gloves" a few times, like when he supposedly meets up with Adnan outside the Best Buy for the trunk pop. Prolly Jay trying to clue the cops in on what Adnan wore during the deed.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:49 am 

Yes, that's right, the red gloves. It just doesn't seem like the forensics have been presented much. Did they ever find the shovels that were used and talked about? I thoroughly enjoyed the way Susan presented the story. It chaotic but interesting nonetheless. But for the record, this is not my typical genre.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:09 pm 

Hussra wrote:
'I Survived...' is great. Haven't caught it in a few years, Bio still doing new eps?

I like how they have a natural disaster story line, then some sort of potentially public shooting/crime type story and then the main story, usually a female abduction story.

Main lesson from various abduction related 'I Surviveds...'--don't get in the trunk.

5th season ended last year, i don't know if they're continuing it past that. sometimes the stories are really bizarre, like the one about the woman who was trapped at the bottom of a faulty escalator. no deaths but sounded pretty gruesome.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:46 pm 

W_Z wrote:
i think i've become a true crime snob because i'm very particular on how i like the stories presented. most of the time, actually, i like bullet point facts or reading through websites like crimelibrary. sometimes i'll watch docu specials on youtube.

this never caught my interest, but it's not because of the story. i think the story is fascinating. i don't like the format that much, and the narrator doesn't do it for me.

one of my favorite shows is "i survived...". it's perfectly done, and it's not always true crime...and it's sometimes more amazing than a murder story because the fact that these people got out of it and can live to talk about it is incredible. sometimes there are deaths, like someone they were with at the time or something. it's one of the most compelling shows i've watched in recent years.

Have you checked out The Staircase on YouTube? Seems like it would be right up your alley.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:00 am 

Just caught episode 12. I've gone back and forth. My overall opinion- I would not be able to convict due to reasonable doubt, but I am pretty sure Adnan is guilty. The state presented a sloppy case probably because the evidence didn't match up with what everyone remembers about 1/13/1999.

Jay knew where the car was. If a serial killer or someone else did this, then Jay would not know that key detail. It either has to be Jay or Adnan, and Jay has no motive.

And btw, I never realized that many people smoked pot and so often. It seems like everyone person they interviewed smoked pot.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:54 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Serial Podcast? I usually have my Cheerio's in a bowl, not a pod!
Image Image

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:04 am 

denisdman wrote:
Just caught episode 12. I've gone back and forth. My overall opinion- I would not be able to convict due to reasonable doubt, but I am pretty sure Adnan is guilty. The state presented a sloppy case probably because the evidence didn't match up with what everyone remembers about 1/13/1999.

Jay knew where the car was. If a serial killer or someone else did this, then Jay would not know that key detail. It either has to be Jay or Adnan, and Jay has no motive.

And btw, I never realized that many people smoked pot and so often. It seems like everyone person they interviewed smoked pot.

That's pretty much how I see it, too. Except I don't even think it could be Jay. Early on I thought for sure it would be Jay.

But, why didn't Adnan ever implicate him? And this story this week from Josh seems plausible.

Overall, it was a great podcast.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:06 am 

pizza_Place: Ian's Pizza
I'm seriously considering that the cops told Jay where the car is to help with the case. Especially after how shitty the cops have been all along, and the fact that in this episode they are telling witnesses that they aren't making Adnan sound "creepy enough."

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:11 am 

Bucky Chris wrote:
I'm seriously considering that the cops told Jay where the car is to help with the case. Especially after how shitty the cops have been all along, and the fact that in this episode they are telling witnesses that they aren't making Adnan sound "creepy enough."

That was the prosecutors though. But that's interesting.

I don't think the podcast was willing to hit that hard. But that would have taken it to another level.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:14 am 

pizza_Place: Ian's Pizza
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
Bucky Chris wrote:

That was the prosecutors though. But that's interesting.

I don't think the podcast was willing to hit that hard. But that would have taken it to another level.

Good catch, you're right.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:58 pm 

SpiralStairs wrote:

Have you checked out The Staircase on YouTube? Seems like it would be right up your alley.

thanks for letting me know about this. i did some reading about peterson and the case and am going to try and watch all of this.