It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:03 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:05 am 

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
http://www.clevescene.com/cleveland/som ... lText=true

Would love to see an equivalent piece on Chicago, I think a lot of the same criticisms apply.

*new LoHo section * mods learn how to merge topics * allow mods to be added to foes list * move fragility topics from DB/Shoutouts to Politics *

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:29 am 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
Great find reared.

Very applicable parts from the piece:

Quote:
Listeners are finding Grantland podcasts if they want to hear someone talk about basketball in an educated fashion, not tuning into someone whose grasp of their free hot-dog lunch is firmer than his grasp of the NBA salary cap.

Yup. I have Grantland, Cubs-specific and sports gambling podcasts subscribed to but no WSCR/WMVP ones.

Quote:
Bruce Drennan, who has been in Cleveland sports talk for 46 years and is now on Fox Sports Ohio, had, and still has, a fiery personality of sorts. "What bugs me about sports radio these days is they are nothing but talking heads, they don't really take many calls much, and they just babble at each other without saying much," he says.

100%

Quote:
The stations run press conferences live even if nothing is said. As 92.3 The Fan afternoon host Adam the Bull says, "You have to run them just in case they do say something important." The problem with that is simple: Players and coaches almost never say anything. Time filler itself then becomes fodder for more time filler as everyone discusses the nothing that was said.

The worst

Quote:
And for a flagship station, one that trumpets its coverage of Cleveland's most popular team, it's embarrassing that 92.3 doesn't even send a reporter on the road with the Browns unless the game's in Pittsburgh or Cincinnati. (WKNR, meanwhile, sends Tony Grossi just about everywhere, including the owner's meetings.) As one host told Scene, "It's not anything a podcaster couldn't do sitting at home." Home of the Browns, indeed

Quote:
It isn't that sports talk has to be intellectual vibrant or always doing something important. But thinking that all your listeners are brain dead, that they don't care what you serve them up, is not a good way to program content that tries to gain listeners, not push them away. Not being serious intellectually does not mean one has to be intellectually vapid either. We get enough of that through social media.

Hmmm

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:35 am 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
As long as Mike Trivissonno is still gainfully employed, Cleveland radio has bigger issues than their sports talkers.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:39 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
That station can be pretty brutal. I am good with listening to get plastered with your wife and then fight each other Rizzo. I also didn't mind Goldhammer with him....but Goldhammer is from Denver and doesn't like anything Cleveland really. He also became the programming director somehow and then broke up their show. The Browns talk is fine, Grossi is decent with that. The Indians talk is fine. They should carry the games though...it would make a huge difference. The Cavs talk is awful and forced but its ESPN so what do you expect. The WORST and I mean ABSOLUTE WORST is when they get together and beat off over the ohio state. Munch and every other old dickbag codger circle jerking off Urban for 2 hours......Brutal. Good thing their signal is shit and you can pick up Cinci radio in many parts of the state and The Score in nearly all parts of the state.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:46 am 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
I don't understand how Rizzo is all the place. He does a ton of local Lou Kannelis type TV too. He too goofy looking to do TV yet there he is.

LoHo should take notes from him on how to hustle.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
I thought the stuff about ratings fudging and the increased importance on the 'partners, partners, partners' was pretty interesting too, especially given later that day being told by Bernstein to come enjoy a 'delicious' Bud Light.

*new LoHo section * mods learn how to merge topics * allow mods to be added to foes list * move fragility topics from DB/Shoutouts to Politics *