It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:12 am 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
IMU wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
A sports broadcast is necessarily consumer driven. (I wish someone would clue Reinsdorf in to that.) If the consumers prefer a male voice, should they be forced to listen to a female voice in the interests of "equality"? I don't think so.

I'd rather not look at a Mexican when ordering my Frisco Burger.

That is a stupid 'take' JORR.

How does the look of the person making your Frisco burger affect your experience? You know what, IMU, you're a sexist bastard. Next time you have the urge to watch the Bulls, why don't you tune in to the Sky instead?

How does the sound of one's voice affect your experience?

She has more clearly and accurately analyzed games than Kruk and Schilling.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:13 am 

pizza_Place: nino's
i don't like the sound of women in my sports broadcasts. it's just how i feel.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:17 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
W_Z wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
A sports broadcast is necessarily consumer driven. (I wish someone would clue Reinsdorf in to that.) If the consumers prefer a male voice, should they be forced to listen to a female voice in the interests of "equality"? I don't think so.

this is really easy though. especially since sports are gender neutral and females have been integrated into the televised sports medium.

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
A sports broadcast is necessarily consumer driven. (I wish someone would clue Reinsdorf in to that.) If the consumers prefer a white male voice, should they be forced to listen to a black male voice in the interests of "equality"? I don't think so.

see?

Does a black male voice have certain defined characteristics? It's not exactly the same thing. But regardless, it doesn't really matter if it's the content that Joe Morgan is putting forth or the timbre of his voice, if the consumers don't like it, he's not gonna be there.

Look, let's take sexism and racism out of it and we'll talk about horse racing announcers. I absolutely hate Trevor Denman and Michael Wrona because of their accents. I don't want to watch racing in the U.S. and hear a guy with a South African or Australian accent. Now, enough people like those guys that they've got good jobs, but the fact that I'd prefer to hear a guy with an American accent doesn't mean I hate Australians or South Africans. And if most people felt like I do, it wouldn't be "unfair" to Australians and South Africans who want to be race announcers. Or at least no more "unfair" than a million other things. It would just be the way it was.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:18 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
didn't really care for her analysis, but maybe she could improve. do any of these people get mentoring? my jury is still out. kind of hot though.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:19 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Look, let's take sexism and racism out of it and we'll talk about horse racing announcers. I absolutely hate Trevor Denman and Michael Wrona because of their accents. I don't want to watch racing in the U.S. and hear a guy with a South African or Australian accent. Now, enough people like those guys that they've got good jobs, but the fact that I'd prefer to hear a guy with an American accent doesn't mean I hate Australians or South Africans. And if most people felt like I do, it wouldn't be "unfair" to Australians and South Africans who want to be race announcers. Or at least no more "unfair" than a million other things. It would just be the way it was.
Accents are different.

However, if you have a problem with all female voices then something else is at play.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:21 am 
Site Admin

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Judge everyone based on their ability to do the job. Saying you don't want anyone of a specific genetic makeup is wrong.

It does seem a little strange to have an aversion to a female voice though. What is offensive about a female voice?

It's not really a matter of their ability to "do the job". As I said, it's more like art. Elena Delle Donne does the job but you ain't watching her.

Anyway, I don't have any aversion to a female voice and I don't really care which nitwit is calling the game. I'm just pointing out that prefering a male voice isn't misogyny. I would guess that most people just like what they've become accustomed to.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:21 am 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
W_Z wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

this is really easy though. especially since sports are gender neutral and females have been integrated into the televised sports medium.

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
A sports broadcast is necessarily consumer driven. (I wish someone would clue Reinsdorf in to that.) If the consumers prefer a white male voice, should they be forced to listen to a black male voice in the interests of "equality"? I don't think so.

see?

Does a black male voice have certain defined characteristics? It's not exactly the same thing. But regardless, it doesn't really matter if it's the content that Joe Morgan is putting forth or the timbre of his voice, if the consumers don't like it, he's not gonna be there.

Well clearly you're a xenophobe.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:22 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
There's nothing wrong with Jess Mendoza's voice. Suzyn Waldman, now that's a bad voice. And she doesn't even know much. JAWN, JAWN, WHO'S DA RELIEVUH, JAWN.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:24 am 
Site Admin

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
However, if you have a problem with all female voices then something else is at play.

So if the St. Lunatics replaced Nelly with Queen Latifah, you're cool?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:25 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
It's not really a matter of their ability to "do the job". As I said, it's more like art. Elena Delle Donne does the job but you ain't watching her.
I don't watch womens basketball because it isn't good.

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Anyway, I don't have any aversion to a female voice and I don't really care which nitwit is calling the game. I'm just pointing out that prefering a male voice isn't misogyny. I would guess that most people just like what they've become accustomed to.
It is though. If you think a female can be a good singer but you don't think she can be a good announcer then it is.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:26 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

So if the St. Lunatics replaced Nelly with Queen Latifah, you're cool?
I like female rappers and wouldn't say "I don't want to hear a female rapping".

Nelly is better than Queen Latifah though but that is provable.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:29 am 
Site Admin

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
If you think a female can be a good singer but you don't think she can be a good announcer then it is.

I think a female can be a good singer within a certain context. I don't want to hear Taylor Swift sing "Angel Of Death" and I don't want to hear Tom Araya sing "I Am Woman".

I think a female can be a good basketball player and Elena Delle Donne is one, but I don't want KDdidt or IMU or you ordering me to watch her.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:32 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
[I don't want to hear Tom Araya sing "I Am Woman".

Liar.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:35 am 

IMU wrote:
Mendoza has been the best Sunday Night Baseball analyst in a long time. Good for her.

Fwiw, I don't care about the sex or race of announcers. I only care if people get a fair shot and they're entertaining. To me she is barely competent(if that). She's slow to bring valid opinions, she lacks perspective & therefore flavor from a baseball standpoint. She's very liberal in her use of advanced metrics, but those add very little to the game (broadcast) to me. Imo she's fairly dull and has a yippy/abrasive voice.

Fwiw, I hated Kruk & Shilling. And this is from someone who likes Beth Mowins, Doris Burke & Kara Lawson doing pbp or as analysts.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:36 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
I think a female can be a good singer within a certain context. I don't want to hear Taylor Swift sing "Angel Of Death" and I don't want to hear Tom Araya sing "I Am Woman".
Yeah, but you don't think a female can be a good broadcaster. That is the difference.
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
I think a female can be a good basketball player and Elena Delle Donne is one, but I don't want KDdidt or IMU or you ordering me to watch her.
I'd welcome her to join the NBA and then I would judge her based on her performance.

Everyone seems to agree that this woman was actually pretty good at the job. Some just don't want her because she has a womans voice.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:38 am 

Regular Reader wrote:
IMU wrote:
Mendoza has been the best Sunday Night Baseball analyst in a long time. Good for her.

Fwiw, I don't care about the sex or race of announcers. I only care if people get a fair shot and they're entertaining. To me she is barely competent(if that). She's slow to bring valid opinions, she lacks perspective & therefore flavor from a baseball standpoint. She's very liberal in her use of advanced metrics, but those add very little to the game (broadcast) to me. Imo she's fairly dull and has a yippy/abrasive voice.

Fwiw, I hated Kruk & Shilling. And this is from someone who likes Beth Mowins, Doris Burke & Kara Lawson doing pbp or as analysts.

No, no, no ... you have to like them all without reservation. Or maybe unbeknownst to me Mary Carillo isn't a broad because apparently she didn't count when I referenced her as someone I enjoyed listening to.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:41 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
I think a female can be a good basketball player.

My standard for greatness has always been based in large part on who would I willingly pay to watch play. Dawn Staley has always been in my top five (Jordan, Bird, Magic & AI being the others). As fast, tough and killer in the clutch as she was, if her game was on tv, I had to watch.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:42 am 
Site Admin

Don Tiny wrote:
Or maybe unbeknownst to me Mary Carillo isn't a broad because apparently she didn't count when I referenced her as someone I enjoyed listening to.

I like Mary a lot, but I'm not sure she is a broad. :lol: Seriously, she has a manly voice. Maybe you like the quality of a manly voice within the context of watching sports. I'm not sure why these guys want to make you a villain for that. Don't they respect your right to choose?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:44 am 
Site Admin

Regular Reader wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
I think a female can be a good basketball player.

My standard for greatness has always been based in large part on who would I willingly pay to watch play. Dawn Staley has always been in my top five (Jordan, Bird, Magic & AI being the others). As fast, tough and killer in the clutch as she was, if her game was on tv, I had to watch.

There are certain qualities in the women's game that are superior to those in the men's game. I'm sure BRick doesn't think so, but I'm not going to try to brand him a woman-hater for his belief.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:45 am 

Don Tiny wrote:
No, no, no ... you have to like them all without reservation. Or maybe unbeknownst to me Mary Carillo isn't a broad because apparently she didn't count when I referenced her as someone I enjoyed listening to.

I apologi, I forgot her & you're right, I love Mary Carillo as a broadcaster or on Real Sports(edit) without reservation :lol: . She adds something new & interesting in each broadcast.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:46 am 
Site Admin

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Yeah, but you don't think a female can be a good broadcaster. That is the difference.

Have I ever said any such thing? You're not losing this argument badly enough to have to resort to making shit up.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:47 am 

I have sexist ears too but I think maybe its a product of environment.

I used to pretty much dismiss any female rapper. Occasionally a song would break through and Id be like "yeah, that's not terrible" but for the most part they were just to be ignored. Female rock singers are ok, but males work better to my ear.

Nicki Minaj, Rapsody and a few others have pushed me through to the evolved side (BeerStain says Hi) but I still feel like I have a higher bar for females. A pretty good male rapper is equal to a great female. It feels wrong. But on the other hand, there is the part of this that is about identifying with the artist. A guy is not going to feel the same connection to rap about shopping sprees or kitchen gadgets or whatever females rap about. Same way a woman is not gonna identify as much with a rapper who is nailing bitches til 6 in the morn. That's not wrong

Anyway, since there's probably less than a 25% chance my daughter becomes a famous rapper, Im not too concerned about it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:49 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Have I ever said any such thing? You're not losing this argument badly enough to have to resort to making shit up.
So you think a female can be a good broadcaster even with a female voice?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:50 am 
Site Admin

rogers park bryan wrote:

I used to pretty much dismiss any female rapper. Occasionally a song would break through and Id be like "yeah, that's not terrible" but for the most part they were just to be ignored. Female rock singers are ok, but males work better to my ear.

Nicki Minaj, Rapsody and a few others have pushed me through to the evolved side (BeerStain says Hi) but I still feel like I have a higher bar for females. A pretty good male rapper is equal to a great female. It feels wrong. But on the other hand, there is the part of this that is about identifying with the artist. A guy is not going to feel the same connection to rap about shopping sprees or kitchen gadgets or whatever females rap about. Same way a woman is not gonna identify as much with a rapper who is nailing bitches til 6 in the morn. That's not wrong

Anyway, since there's probably less than a 25% chance my daughter becomes a famous rapper, Im not too concerned about it.

Don't allow someone else's temporary social justice agenda to wreak havoc on your personal tastes.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:53 am 
Site Admin

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

So you think a female can be a good broadcaster even with a female voice?

Sure. I have no problem with a female broadcaster. Don Tiny and Kirkwood, uh Archie, prefer a male voice. That doesn't make them bad guys or misogynists or women-haters. And I don't think it's a meditation on the quality of her work, either.

In fact, getting back to the Australian race caller (it's not a hot button, like sexism and racism) I even admit that Michael Wrona is a top caller, excellent at his job. I just don't like his fucking Down Under voice. If that makes me an evil Aussie hater, I'll own it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:54 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

Don't allow someone else's temporary social justice agenda to wreak havoc on your personal tastes.

It's not that. Its the Monster verse

Me and Adele fuckin smash that shit in the car

Just killed another career, it's a mild day

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:55 am 
Site Admin

rogers park bryan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

It's not that. Its the Monster verse

Me and Adele fuckin smash that shit in the car

That video made me a big fan of Adele. She's pretty fucking awesome. But I guess Rick wants me to give equal time to Frank's version of "Rollin' In The Deep".

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:59 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Sure. I have no problem with a female broadcaster. Don Tiny and Kirkwood, uh Archie, prefer a male voice. That doesn't make them bad guys or misogynists or women-haters. And I don't think it's a meditation on the quality of her work, either.
The issue is with prejudging because of it. It is misonogy to do that. It isn't different than prejudging a female dentist or a female lawyer.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:02 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
The issue is with prejudging because of it. It is misonogy to do that. It isn't different than prejudging a female dentist or a female lawyer.

Or Presidential Candidate

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Anyone but Hillary!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:03 pm 

:lol: