It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
https://twitter.com/rachelcohenap/status/687271903937994756

I liked Kruk just fine. Schilling is a schmuck outside the booth but was mostly benign in it, no huge loss though.

I've said it before, I'll say it again ... I don't want to hear a woman call most sports. It's simply a preference, literally no different than someone who likes bacon but not ham.

What the hell ever happened to Jon Miller anyway?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Four hours away....and on fire :-(
I believe Jon Miller (Juan Ooooooooooooooooo-reeebay!) has a full-time gig as the Giants announcer.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
redskingreg wrote:
I believe Jon Miller (Juan Ooooooooooooooooo-reeebay!) has a full-time gig as the Giants announcer.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:16 pm 

redskingreg wrote:

He's always had that gig, even when he was calling the Sunday night game.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:18 pm 

Who the hell is clamoring for Aaron Boone over Miller or Charlie Steiner even?

ESPN can gently nip at my taint for a significant expanse of time.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Don Tiny wrote:
https://twitter.com/rachelcohenap/status/687271903937994756

I liked Kruk just fine. Schilling is a schmuck outside the booth but was mostly benign in it, no huge loss though.

I've said it before, I'll say it again ... I don't want to hear a woman call most sports. It's simply a preference, literally no different than someone who likes bacon but not ham.

What the hell ever happened to Jon Miller anyway?

Agree. Now we can wait for the any criticism of her makes you misogynist crowd. Right Julie?

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

Last edited by badrogue17 on Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:28 pm 

Don Tiny wrote:

I think Steiner has taken on a heavier role with the Dodgers with Vin scaling back. And Miller is old. These guys want to be comfortable. They dont want to spend every weekend flying if they can avoid it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:32 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Don Tiny wrote:

I think Steiner has taken on a heavier role with the Dodgers with Vin scaling back. And Miller is old. These guys want to be comfortable. They dont want to spend every weekend flying if they can avoid it.

That may be fine for them but that doesn't suit me; it's an outrage.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:33 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
I think Jon Miller still does Sunday Night Baseball for ESPN Radio. He's a good announcer, it's just that Joe Morgan was such an idiot, but ESPN executives probably figured they couldn't get rid of one and not the other.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
I don't want to hear an African American call most sports. It's simply a preference, literally no different than someone who likes bacon but not ham.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Four hours away....and on fire :-(
:scratch:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:23 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Shilling about as bad as I've heard, kruk was almost as useless.. Should have upped Doug Glanville..he's very good.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
KDdidit wrote:
I don't want to hear an African American call most sports. It's simply a preference, literally no different than someone who likes bacon but not ham.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:39 pm 

Have you heard Lawrence do DePaul games? Sheesh. Hood is decent on UIC games though, one of the good ones.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
Not all brothers are bad. Gus Johnson is lot of people's favorite. Mike Tirico is good. Dave Sims is nice.

I know a few brothers that have a booming broadcaster voice and would be awesome at it if they went to school. Hell if Rich Farmsystem ever wanted to do something other than what he used to do with Eaglo Jeff he's do good.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:04 pm 

KDdidit wrote:

I still don't need your assent to form my own opinion; the false equivalency, however, you can still shove up your ignorant ass when you get a free moment.

Let me know when you have an opinion over in the Julie thread.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:08 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Lol..I'm assuming Kdidit is saying this to make a point about the reaction of the woman who sat in the booth for the September games on ESPN.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:14 pm 

312player wrote:
Lol..I'm assuming Kdidit is saying this to make a point about the reaction of the woman who sat in the booth for the September games on ESPN.

IIRC it's a callback to his response to my saying previously that I didn't care for her particularly, or women generally, calling sporting events with a few exceptions (Mary Carillo comes to mind).

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:22 pm 

Don Tiny wrote:
KDdidit wrote:

I still don't need your assent to form my own opinion; the false equivalency, however, you can still shove up your ignorant ass when you get a free moment.

It's not a false equivalency, it's using your same ignorant words to justify an opinion that just as stupid as yours is. Although by comparing equal opportunity for women in a workplace to liking bacon but not ham, I guess it's obvious you have no idea what a false equivalency is. There's like an infinitesimal chance my daughter will grow up and want to do sports play by play, but on the off chance she does I hope she'll be judged on her actual ability to do the job and not prevented from getting a chance by some troglodytes who just don't like the sound of a woman's voice in the last refuge of manly men, sports broadcasts.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:36 pm 

312player wrote:
Should have upped Doug Glanville..he's very good.

Got one of the biggest hits in Cub history, too

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
I guess I'm in the minority who thought there was good chemistry with Schilling and Kruk...they knew the game but kept it fun.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:49 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
I watch so little Sunday Night Baseball nowadays that I have no real opinion (my best baseball days were wasted on Miller and Morgan), but John Kruk has never enriched a single moment of ESPN. Dan Shulman is one of the best play-by-play guys around, though. I don't think a softball player will make a better baseball analyst than a baseball player but then most baseball players don't make good baseball analysts so who knows.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:53 pm 
1000 CLUB

It doesn't matter to me either. I don't watch any national baseball games anymore. Just the Cubs and Sox for me now.

But I did hear her do a Cubs game last year. She's just not good. And it's not because she's a women. She's bad like a lot of the male broadcasters.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:54 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:43 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
KDdidit wrote:
Don Tiny wrote:
KDdidit wrote:

It's not a false equivalency, it's using your same ignorant words to justify an opinion that just as stupid as yours is. Although by comparing equal opportunity for women in a workplace to liking bacon but not ham, I guess it's obvious you have no idea what a false equivalency is. There's like an infinitesimal chance my daughter will grow up and want to do sports play by play, but on the off chance she does I hope she'll be judged on her actual ability to do the job and not prevented from getting a chance by some troglodytes who just don't like the sound of a woman's voice in the last refuge of manly men, sports broadcasts.

This is an interesting argument. I'm not exactly sure where I stand on it. I certainly think Don Tiny (or anyone else) is entitled to his/her opinion on what kind of voice he wants to hear on his sports broadcasts. But on the surface KDdidit's point is so clearly correct that only a real scumbag would want to put his name behind arguing with it. I think we have to go below the surface when it comes to this specific situation though.

Something like broadcasting sports is closer to being art than simply a production job. KDdidt's argument is unassailable if we were talking about a woman doing a job like accounting or being a lawyer or even being the leader of a nation. A sports broadcast is necessarily consumer driven. (I wish someone would clue Reinsdorf in to that.) If the consumers prefer a male voice, should they be forced to listen to a female voice in the interests of "equality"? I don't think so.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:50 am 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
Mendoza has been the best Sunday Night Baseball analyst in a long time. Good for her.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:07 am 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
A sports broadcast is necessarily consumer driven. (I wish someone would clue Reinsdorf in to that.) If the consumers prefer a male voice, should they be forced to listen to a female voice in the interests of "equality"? I don't think so.

"I'd rather not look at a Mexican when ordering my Frisco Burger."

That is a stupid 'take' JORR. Everything is consumer driven.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:08 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
IMU wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
A sports broadcast is necessarily consumer driven. (I wish someone would clue Reinsdorf in to that.) If the consumers prefer a male voice, should they be forced to listen to a female voice in the interests of "equality"? I don't think so.

I'd rather not look at a Mexican when ordering my Frisco Burger.

That is a stupid 'take' JORR.

How does the look of the person making your Frisco burger affect your experience? You know what, IMU, you're a sexist bastard. Next time you have the urge to watch the Bulls, why don't you tune in to the Sky instead?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:11 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

this is really easy though. especially since sports are gender neutral and females have been integrated into the televised sports medium.

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
A sports broadcast is necessarily consumer driven. (I wish someone would clue Reinsdorf in to that.) If the consumers prefer a white male voice, should they be forced to listen to a black male voice in the interests of "equality"? I don't think so.

see?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:12 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

This is an interesting argument. I'm not exactly sure where I stand on it. I certainly think Don Tiny (or anyone else) is entitled to his/her opinion on what kind of voice he wants to hear on his sports broadcasts. But on the surface KDdidit's point is so clearly correct that only a real scumbag would want to put his name behind arguing with it. I think we have to go below the surface when it comes to this specific situation though.

Something like broadcasting sports is closer to being art than simply a production job. KDdidt's argument is unassailable if we were talking about a woman doing a job like accounting or being a lawyer or even being the leader of a nation. A sports broadcast is necessarily consumer driven. (I wish someone would clue Reinsdorf in to that.) If the consumers prefer a male voice, should they be forced to listen to a female voice in the interests of "equality"? I don't think so.[/quote]Judge everyone based on their ability to do the job. Saying you don't want anyone of a specific genetic makeup is wrong.

It does seem a little strange to have an aversion to a female voice though. What is offensive about a female voice?